Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

Post by Pelranius »

LaCroix wrote:I think Danaerys is doing the ony thing she can do in her situation. And the most economic. Everyone agrees that the Sons of the Harpy are trained, financed and led by some big house as a political terror tool. Whenever they attack, she randomly executes one of the leadersof said houses. So it's in their personal interest to collaborate and end these attacks, quickly. Sooner or later, one of them will.

Her actions may seem abhorrent to someone like us, but in the scale of Westerosi/Slave Bay culture, she's pretty restrained in terms of bloodshed. Other rulers would order revenge executions of x (random and usually poor) people for every soldier killed. She simply demands the life of one leading person. Her method is superior for getting the people actually responsible.
But what if she needed that random guy to find out who's controlling the Sons of the Harpy?

The Sons of the Harpy could easily be financed by someone outside of Mereen with a lot of money and a grudge about the whole emancipation thing, such as a group or person in Yunkai or Volantis.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Vympel wrote:Just a note that Brienne was in fact present at the meeting between Renly and Stannis- however she was wearing an open face helmet which could make her hard to recognize, especially given how long ago it was. Stannis would've been focusing on Renly and Cat anyway, not Renly's guards.

(Forgot I had it in my armor thread)
LOL well I can speak to that since I watched the scene specifically before posting and didn't recognize her. But also opens the door potentially that Stannis did notice and would recognize her.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

LaCroix wrote:I think Danaerys is doing the ony thing she can do in her situation. And the most economic. Everyone agrees that the Sons of the Harpy are trained, financed and led by some big house as a political terror tool. Whenever they attack, she randomly executes one of the leadersof said houses. So it's in their personal interest to collaborate and end these attacks, quickly. Sooner or later, one of them will.

Her actions may seem abhorrent to someone like us, but in the scale of Westerosi/Slave Bay culture, she's pretty restrained in terms of bloodshed. Other rulers would order revenge executions of x (random and usually poor) people for every soldier killed. She simply demands the life of one leading person. Her method is superior for getting the people actually responsible.
She had to send a message, Mafia style, that if these attacks continue the heads of the great houses would be held accountable, whether they were directly involved or not. Those that were directly involved would thus have good cause to stop said support, and those that were not would have good cause to rat out those that did.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's a quick question. How did the Targaryans back in the day control the dragons they held? Because they rode the damn things somehow if they destroyed Harrenhall and other castles in order to conquer the Seven Kingdoms. How did they keep them from being eaten like Dany almost was? Were their texts about it that the maesters might have in Oldtown? Or were all those stories of the three Targaryian princes and princesses riding dragons to fight armies a pack of lies embellished over time by the kingdom in order to further their control over the realm?
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

How did they keep them from being eaten like Dany almost was?
To be fair to the dragons in that scene, their 'mother' had just went and locked them up for no percieved reason or fault on their end. If you were manacled and locked in the basement for something your brother did, would you not feel a bit petulant?

At the same time, I am curious how the Dragons and Targaryan line interact as well...Are the dragons able to detect and then empathise with the blood in the Targaryan line, or is it a deeper, older magical compulsion? It's not really explained very well.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

one possibility is that the ancient Targeryan used methods lost to modern Westeros for example a magical amulet allowed them to control them, I seem to remember from the DvD commentaries that magic went "away" from Westeros and is now returning and the dragons are a symbol of this.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Valyria seems like a mixup of Asian and Roman culture. The arches reminded me a lot of aquaeducts and the two giant pillars looked almost direct copies of the midsection of the Thermae of Caracalla. I did notice a few subdued Asian influences as well.

EDIT: On to the show: Both Daenarys and Cersei are acting like idiots.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

FaxModem1 wrote:Here's a quick question. How did the Targaryans back in the day control the dragons they held? Because they rode the damn things somehow if they destroyed Harrenhall and other castles in order to conquer the Seven Kingdoms. How did they keep them from being eaten like Dany almost was? Were their texts about it that the maesters might have in Oldtown? Or were all those stories of the three Targaryian princes and princesses riding dragons to fight armies a pack of lies embellished over time by the kingdom in order to further their control over the realm?
Three Dragon rules
1. One Dragon one rider, no man may be a rider for two dragons
2. Some dragons many let multiple people ride it or even have multiple riders, some will bind new riders when the old ones die. Some will go wild and leave once their rider dies.
3. Control is about confidence, self assurance and something blood or magic related. If your trying to tame a Dragon it's because you believe you can, question that you can and you will be eaten.

This all applies to Targ dragon riders. The old Valerian dragon riders had tools and out and out Wizards on their side to manage dragons. All of this info comes from the supplementary short stories Martin has written none of it is in the books to date. Some of it made it into the show in side mentions.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Thanas wrote:Valyria seems like a mixup of Asian and Roman culture. The arches reminded me a lot of aquaeducts and the two giant pillars looked almost direct copies of the midsection of the Thermae of Caracalla. I did notice a few subdued Asian influences as well.

EDIT: On to the show: Both Daenarys and Cersei are acting like idiots.
I thought of Khmer architecture, though having all that overgrowth did contribute to that impression.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Can Theon hurry up and stab Ramsey already? Pretty please?

And man Tommen what a cowardly little shit you are. Those Kingsguard should have done their thing and killed those religious whackos. And WTF Cersai, are you trying to start a war on purpose? Like Olenna is ever going to believe this was not 100% your doing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

My girlfriend loved the wedding ("It's sooooo pretty!") and pointed out to me that the snow really seemed to be coming down. Which got me thinking: How far is it from the Wall to Winterfell? Anything more than a few days could force Stannis into winter quarters, which means Sansa (jeez, can't she ever get a break?) will be snowed in with the Boltons for heaven knows how long. I'm hoping that Theon calling himself Theon at the wedding (plus the really disturbing shit) is a sign that he'll finally kill the Boltons or at least help Sansa get out of there.

I wish the Harper Valley PTA had killed Littlefinger. It would be one good deed in a huge pile of wickedness. Oh, and fuck you Tommen, you useless fucking mama's boy!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I loved how this episode had payoff for the scene between Loras, Olyvar and Margaery in Episode 1 - you know, the one everyone assumed was just pointless marking of time.

Cersei scribbling away, pretending to be Tywin, and getting called out on it by Olenna was a LOL moment.

FINALLY! HOUSE TYRELL SOLDIERS! To the armor page!

Littlefinger's plan becomes clear:

1. Let Stannis and Roose fight each other to exhaustion;
2. Swoop in with an army from the Vale and defeat the victor, take Winterfell;
3. Get declared Warden of the North by Queen Cersei; and
4. Oh heyyyyyyyyy - marry Sansa.

Loved the Tourney at Lannisport reference with Jorah and Tyrion, and their shenanigans generally.

Dornishman's Wife was welcome.

Not much happened in Dorne, but we got a cool fight sequence, proof that the Sand Snakes suck (because of course they do - they're basically teenagers with hardly any experience).

If Bronn dies from that cut - WE RIOT

I can imagine there's going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth re Sansa's rape this episode. She married Ramsay - of course that was going to happen.

On the other hand, her telling Myranda who the fuck she was, where the fuck she was, and that her shit didn't scare her was great.

OH! And the faces were so well realised.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Theon, I mean Reek's, new beard makes me think of a Rembrandt painting.

The rape scene wasn't graphic as I was afraid its going to be.

Seems to me that Trystane and Myrcella will pull a Robb Stark and get married in secret, probably by episode 9?
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Thankfully, we got some payoff in this episode. The first half of this season felt a bit like an anime that's about to run out of manga to animate.

Alfie Allen deserves props for all he's done with like a dozen lines of dialog in two seasons.
I can imagine there's going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth re Sansa's rape this episode.
You have no idea.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Preface: I get people are allowed to be stupid and arrogant. But things are getting a bit out of hand.

Where does the Queen in a prison cell fit into Cersei's plan to secure House Tyrell's ties to the crown? Best case, they can basically hold her hostage to force Tryell to continue to support the crown, ignoring the war that occurred last time they tried this with a powerful family. Same with Loras. Fanatics with chains and short-blades are not an army and Stannis is still running around with actual soldiers. Tommen has to look incredibly weak to the populace as they, you know, fucking love Margaery and hate the Lannisters. His backing down in public may have been prudent, but still makes him look weak. Same with allowing fanatics to run off with his wife.

The thing is, what's to stop the fanatics from executing Margaey and Loras? I mean, it'd make Stannis' march to King's Landing easier as the Tyrells join his cause, but I don't see what Cercei gets out of it except personal satisfaction.

The whole thing smacks of hanging a rifle: Cersei has to know she can't muzzle crazies. It will blow up in her face. Tommen's the product of incest and she's a rather large player in said incestual dealings. There's still proof out there and even if not, making enough up wouldn't be that hard. And oh yea, Littlefinger is more than capable of handling shit like that on his own. I mean "he's got a birthmark" (I think that's what was said, the wife was saying something at the time) is enough to convene a trial.

I like how everyone knowing things are going to go down in Dorne, 3 crazies are still able to get within stabbing distance of Myrcella. Why didn't Sandsnake #3 just kill her right then? What was kidnapping going to accomplish? Did they really think they were getting out of the palace alive with her? How did they think Trystane was going to react when his teenage crush is being kidnapped? Where they prepared to kill/maim him too? Thank God Jamie and Bron were able to just waltz in to the castle in their stolen uniforms and get there before the sandsakes and well before the guards who are supposed to be on... well, guard, otherwise sanity would have prevented decent swordplay.

Only thing I can figure that doesn't just put this all to stupidity for all parties is Doran let this shit go down to show any "war with Lannister's" people how fucking crazy Ellaria and her 3 stooges are. But I doubt he'd put the heir to Dorne and his son in that much danger. Or maybe the Dornish are to busy fucking and fighting to protect their capital.

I'm having a hard time continuing to feel empathy for Sansa. She's been kicked around so much, she's not coming off as a person to me, but an object I'm supposed to be emotional towards. I kept waiting for the violence in her life to turn physical and when it finally happened, I actually felt worse for Reek. Maybe that makes me a shitter, but you can't have a character exist just to get kicked around for 4 seasons and expect me not to be tired of feeling sorry for them. I mean really, what did people think was going to happen after she married Ramsey? Or was someone supposed to have stopped the whole thing heroically and saved the day.... in Game of Thrones....

Oh yea: Adebisi in GoTs. Awesome!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, what happened to this whole Sansa is the apprentice of Littlefinger they've had going since the season 4 finale? I half expected for her to have a dagger in one of her sleeves. Of course, that would require Sansa to do something besides being passed around like a plot device and do something. Princess Peach from Super Mario has more dignity than her, and she gets kidnapped every freaking day. Frankly, Sansa doing ANYTHING at all would be too much to expect from her, due to how ineffective and pointless she is.

So, Olenna has both her grandchildren in chains. I wonder how her boob of a son Mace will react to this at all, considering how idiotic and weakwilled he has been shown to be. And since Tommen is so ineffectual and pointless at doing anything, I don't see his reign lasting long. Shame, as he seems a decent person, but as Tywin lectured him last year, it takes more decency to be a great king.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, what happened to this whole Sansa is the apprentice of Littlefinger they've had going since the season 4 finale? I half expected for her to have a dagger in one of her sleeves. Of course, that would require Sansa to do something besides being passed around like a plot device and do something. Princess Peach from Super Mario has more dignity than her, and she gets kidnapped every freaking day. Frankly, Sansa doing ANYTHING at all would be too much to expect from her, due to how ineffective and pointless she is.
She chose to go through with the marriage, given the choice not to at Moat Cailin, and surely she knew at some point she'd have to lose her virginity if she did marry. It would be rather disappointing for Sansa to have a dagger up her sleeve at that point if she were truly Littlefinger's apprentice. She could kill Ramsy, maybe - if he didn't kill her first, but what does that accomplish? As far as she knows Ramsay has never wronged her. Its Roose who she ultimately despises. She is patiently biding her time for the right opportunity, just as Littlefinger did for so long.
So, Olenna has both her grandchildren in chains. I wonder how her boob of a son Mace will react to this at all, considering how idiotic and weakwilled he has been shown to be. And since Tommen is so ineffectual and pointless at doing anything, I don't see his reign lasting long. Shame, as he seems a decent person, but as Tywin lectured him last year, it takes more decency to be a great king.
Yeah Tommen needs to grow a spine quickly, but I suspect that won't happen. Especially with mommy re-affirming his passive stance as being a "wise king".

Mace is unlikely to make it back alive from Bravos. Although, I expect that Arya will likely cross paths with Merryn Trant and he won't make it back alive either.
TheFeniX wrote:Preface: I get people are allowed to be stupid and arrogant. But things are getting a bit out of hand.

Where does the Queen in a prison cell fit into Cersei's plan to secure House Tyrell's ties to the crown? Best case, they can basically hold her hostage to force Tryell to continue to support the crown, ignoring the war that occurred last time they tried this with a powerful family. Same with Loras. Fanatics with chains and short-blades are not an army and Stannis is still running around with actual soldiers. Tommen has to look incredibly weak to the populace as they, you know, fucking love Margaery and hate the Lannisters. His backing down in public may have been prudent, but still makes him look weak. Same with allowing fanatics to run off with his wife.
Well I'm guessing Cersei's plot is as follows: Meryn Trant disposes of Mace (tragic accident, set upon by theives), after which time The Tyrells are confronted with obedience to the crown, or loss of their only two chances of furthering their line. And such a thing worked before - the Targaryens managed to hold Dornish loyalty through Elia Martell after all. So, it wouldn't be the worst plan in the world, if she had complete control of all elements as Tywin would have done.
The thing is, what's to stop the fanatics from executing Margaey and Loras? I mean, it'd make Stannis' march to King's Landing easier as the Tyrells join his cause, but I don't see what Cercei gets out of it except personal satisfaction.
She is still under the presumption that she can control the faith. Her plan is to hold them as the king shows mercy and commutes any death sentence to a prison sentence. Of course that was roughly her plan with Ned Stark... That's Tywin's words that she is "not as smart as she thinks she is" echoing true once again.
The whole thing smacks of hanging a rifle: Cersei has to know she can't muzzle crazies. It will blow up in her face. Tommen's the product of incest and she's a rather large player in said incestual dealings. There's still proof out there and even if not, making enough up wouldn't be that hard. And oh yea, Littlefinger is more than capable of handling shit like that on his own. I mean "he's got a birthmark" (I think that's what was said, the wife was saying something at the time) is enough to convene a trial.
The thing is she doesn't know she can't muzzle them. I believe she expects favor from the High Sparrow because of her gifts of arming the Faith militant, and making him High Septurn. And as far as she knows Littlefinger is a loyal subject. She also has the advantage of having lots of Lannister men in the capital, and ostensibly the city guard and kings guard to protect her and her son.
I like how everyone knowing things are going to go down in Dorne, 3 crazies are still able to get within stabbing distance of Myrcella. Why didn't Sandsnake #3 just kill her right then? What was kidnapping going to accomplish? Did they really think they were getting out of the palace alive with her? How did they think Trystane was going to react when his teenage crush is being kidnapped? Where they prepared to kill/maim him too? Thank God Jamie and Bron were able to just waltz in to the castle in their stolen uniforms and get there before the sandsakes and well before the guards who are supposed to be on... well, guard, otherwise sanity would have prevented decent swordplay.
It seems a bit rushed, but I think that's an unfortunate consequence of only having so much screen time. The coincidental cut to the chase saves us the cliche "stake out the palace, study guards, knock out guards, get inside" routine that would have been filler anyway.
Only thing I can figure that doesn't just put this all to stupidity for all parties is Doran let this shit go down to show any "war with Lannister's" people how fucking crazy Ellaria and her 3 stooges are. But I doubt he'd put the heir to Dorne and his son in that much danger. Or maybe the Dornish are to busy fucking and fighting to protect their capital.
It's possible the palace guards were simply complacent. Doran mentions to his bodyguard that he "hasn't swung his sword in a long time" and asked if he still remembered how. Its possible they weren't as alert at the palace as they should have been. But in any event, the fallout from this is going to be the more important thing.
I'm having a hard time continuing to feel empathy for Sansa. She's been kicked around so much, she's not coming off as a person to me, but an object I'm supposed to be emotional towards. I kept waiting for the violence in her life to turn physical and when it finally happened, I actually felt worse for Reek. Maybe that makes me a shitter, but you can't have a character exist just to get kicked around for 4 seasons and expect me not to be tired of feeling sorry for them. I mean really, what did people think was going to happen after she married Ramsey? Or was someone supposed to have stopped the whole thing heroically and saved the day.... in Game of Thrones....
She's had no power, and no allies either - surrounded by enemies since she left Winterfell in season 1. A tough base from which to build power. Arya has always had someone to help guide and or protect her (Syrio, NW recruiter, Jaqen, The Hound, Jaqen again), Sansa has had no one who didn't try to use her for their own ends. She's learned, and she is adapting. No longer as naive as she once was, but still with a lot of learning and hardships still to endure. Nevertheless, I feel like she's on the rise.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The showrunners are really ... perplexing me with the Sandsnakes; I'm not sure if they've intentionally turned them into hilarious poor parodies of Oberyn, or they want us to actually take them seriously.

In fact the whole Dorne storyline/scenes looks cheap and under loved (meaning rushed and tacked on). Why do the opening credits say 'Dorne' and not 'Sunspear' or 'Water Gardens' for example when the Dornish city is being 'raised'?

I'm not enjoying this season to be honest.

I don't think Lady Olenna is enjoying them either;

Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, the Sand Snakes were rather cartoonish in the books as well (though to be fair to GRRM, they didn't look like Xena Princess Warrior cosplayers).

Has Cersei completely forgotten that Lancel could snitch about their affair the moment the High Sparrow gets tired of her drunken antics?

I'm expecting that Bronn will tell Jaime about Lancel and Cersei, given that he's received what's apparently a poisoned wound.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

TheHammer wrote:Well I'm guessing Cersei's plot is as follows: Meryn Trant disposes of Mace (tragic accident, set upon by theives), after which time The Tyrells are confronted with obedience to the crown, or loss of their only two chances of furthering their line. And such a thing worked before - the Targaryens managed to hold Dornish loyalty through Elia Martell after all. So, it wouldn't be the worst plan in the world, if she had complete control of all elements as Tywin would have done.
Don't they have another son? I swear something was mentioned, but I could be wrong. Either way, with all that's going on, why are houses allowing all their heirs to run willy-nilly around King's Landing, or anywhere for that matter? Even the Starks knew to always have a Stark in Winterfell. And Rob at least had his brothers there when he went out warring. Everyone else seems content to just let their heirs do whatever. I get Loras isn't going to have a happy wife, but why didn't someone just marry him off at one point and force him to slam out some kids?

Even going back, Tywin should have pulled Jamie off the Kingsguard (sooner than he did) and put him back home to father a few kids rather than sending him off to war to get captured. Same king, just different timing and I doubt Joffrey would have argued the point.
She is still under the presumption that she can control the faith. Her plan is to hold them as the king shows mercy and commutes any death sentence to a prison sentence. Of course that was roughly her plan with Ned Stark... That's Tywin's words that she is "not as smart as she thinks she is" echoing true once again.
That plan failed rather miserably, from that angle. Rob didn't stop his march on the south with 3 of his kin in "chains" and he didn't stop after receiving news of his father's execution. Maybe she expects the Tyrells to lack that spine, but she's pretty much allowing a vendetta to ruin the kingdom, which is probably her real motivation: she's not as smart as she thinks she is, surrounded herself with sycophants, and is putting her faith in all the wrong people in order to try, and likely fail, to protect her family.
It seems a bit rushed, but I think that's an unfortunate consequence of only having so much screen time. The coincidental cut to the chase saves us the cliche "stake out the palace, study guards, knock out guards, get inside" routine that would have been filler anyway.
It needed some more filler in that area though. The prince knows the sandsnakes are coming for the Lannister girl. His son could easily get caught up in a melee and get killed. Their lack of response time, all to showcase some swordplay, really makes everyone look incompetent. 5 armed intruders just walked into the palace and got within stabbing distance of a prince and princess. This is after Elaria made a direct threat against her and the throne of Dorne.

The icing on the cake was Ellaria just standing there looking shocked SHOCKED that armed guards came for her. What.... what possible other outcome would there have been had her plan actually worked? Would the guards just not arrest her if the princess was kidnapped by her daughter and two other offspring of Oberyn, after she made an overt death-threat to the current ruler? How much fighting and fucking do you have to do until you can't even rub two brain-cells together?
She's had no power, and no allies either - surrounded by enemies since she left Winterfell in season 1. A tough base from which to build power. Arya has always had someone to help guide and or protect her (Syrio, NW recruiter, Jaqen, The Hound, Jaqen again), Sansa has had no one who didn't try to use her for their own ends. She's learned, and she is adapting. No longer as naive as she once was, but still with a lot of learning and hardships still to endure. Nevertheless, I feel like she's on the rise.
It's not about understanding her predicament. But she's an object to me at this point. She's more interesting in what constantly happens to her and those happenings are more to characterize other people than her. Littefinger, Ramsey, Reek, Brienne, Tyrion, Joffrey, Margaery. These characters basically play off a mostly blank slate with 1 or 2 "defining" moments over the course of 5 seasons.

Just one example: Tyrion decides not to consummate the marriage (read: not rape a woman who hates him and his family). What does this say about Tyrion: a lot. What does this say about Sansa? That's my problem with the character. Nearly all her interactions are designed to give insight into someone else. That's fine, but it removes my ability to empathize with her except as a constant victim. And that gets tiring.

So, when the "inside the episode" starts in and they talk about how they'd rather "use an established character we have invested in than introduce a new one" it rings hollow with me because any sympathy I had for Sansa as a person was stamped out years ago.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Pelranius wrote:Well, the Sand Snakes were rather cartoonish in the books as well (though to be fair to GRRM, they didn't look like Xena Princess Warrior cosplayers).

Has Cersei completely forgotten that Lancel could snitch about their affair the moment the High Sparrow gets tired of her drunken antics?
I'm pretty sure he has, and the High Sparrow is waiting to solidify his power before going for her.
Pelranius wrote:I'm expecting that Bronn will tell Jaime about Lancel and Cersei, given that he's received what's apparently a poisoned wound.
We can live in hope for both outcomes. I don't hate Bronn, but sardonic charm only lasts as a character shield for so long ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

TheFeniX wrote:
TheHammer wrote:Well I'm guessing Cersei's plot is as follows: Meryn Trant disposes of Mace (tragic accident, set upon by theives), after which time The Tyrells are confronted with obedience to the crown, or loss of their only two chances of furthering their line. And such a thing worked before - the Targaryens managed to hold Dornish loyalty through Elia Martell after all. So, it wouldn't be the worst plan in the world, if she had complete control of all elements as Tywin would have done.
Don't they have another son? I swear something was mentioned, but I could be wrong. Either way, with all that's going on, why are houses allowing all their heirs to run willy-nilly around King's Landing, or anywhere for that matter? Even the Starks knew to always have a Stark in Winterfell. And Rob at least had his brothers there when he went out warring. Everyone else seems content to just let their heirs do whatever. I get Loras isn't going to have a happy wife, but why didn't someone just marry him off at one point and force him to slam out some kids?
I think in the books they mentioned another brother, possibly two, but for show purposes I believe Loras and Margaery are it as they are all that's ever mentioned. To be fair, the thought was that Kings Landing was quite safe for the Tyrells given their position as key ally, and being married to the king. Its not as though they were gallivanting through old Valyria.
Even going back, Tywin should have pulled Jamie off the Kingsguard (sooner than he did) and put him back home to father a few kids rather than sending him off to war to get captured. Same king, just different timing and I doubt Joffrey would have argued the point.
You'll note that once Jaime was captured he sent Tyrion back to the capital. Was that purely because he was the best man for the job of Hand of the King or was he also protecting his legacy? Whether he liked Tyrion or not, he was still a Lannister and capable of fathering heirs.

In any event, its not a lords place to hide in a castle pumping out kids - unless you happen to be Walder Frey. Tywin was out there fighting, and trying to teach Jamie to do the same.
That plan failed rather miserably, from that angle. Rob didn't stop his march on the south with 3 of his kin in "chains" and he didn't stop after receiving news of his father's execution. Maybe she expects the Tyrells to lack that spine, but she's pretty much allowing a vendetta to ruin the kingdom, which is probably her real motivation: she's not as smart as she thinks she is, surrounded herself with sycophants, and is putting her faith in all the wrong people in order to try, and likely fail, to protect her family.
That plan could have worked quite well if it had unfolded as Varys had laid out. Ned swears an oath of fealty, and takes the black. Rob becomes the new Warden of the North and follows suit. Ned's not an oathbreaker, and Rob would do as his father commanded etc. It failed because once they killed Ned they had lost all leverage. And that happened because Cersei overestimated her control of the situation.
It needed some more filler in that area though. The prince knows the sandsnakes are coming for the Lannister girl. His son could easily get caught up in a melee and get killed. Their lack of response time, all to showcase some swordplay, really makes everyone look incompetent. 5 armed intruders just walked into the palace and got within stabbing distance of a prince and princess. This is after Elaria made a direct threat against her and the throne of Dorne.
Maybe. But its a minor side plot that I don't much care about, so devoting a lot of screen time to it doesn't make sense.
The icing on the cake was Ellaria just standing there looking shocked SHOCKED that armed guards came for her. What.... what possible other outcome would there have been had her plan actually worked? Would the guards just not arrest her if the princess was kidnapped by her daughter and two other offspring of Oberyn, after she made an overt death-threat to the current ruler? How much fighting and fucking do you have to do until you can't even rub two brain-cells together?
I'm presuming she was planning to be long gone. I think the idea was to kidnap the princess, at some point separate her head from her body, and place it on a pike outside King's Landing, thus sparking the war they wanted. Not saying it was a good plan, but it was a plan lol.
It's not about understanding her predicament. But she's an object to me at this point. She's more interesting in what constantly happens to her and those happenings are more to characterize other people than her. Littefinger, Ramsey, Reek, Brienne, Tyrion, Joffrey, Margaery. These characters basically play off a mostly blank slate with 1 or 2 "defining" moments over the course of 5 seasons.

Just one example: Tyrion decides not to consummate the marriage (read: not rape a woman who hates him and his family). What does this say about Tyrion: a lot. What does this say about Sansa? That's my problem with the character. Nearly all her interactions are designed to give insight into someone else. That's fine, but it removes my ability to empathize with her except as a constant victim. And that gets tiring.

So, when the "inside the episode" starts in and they talk about how they'd rather "use an established character we have invested in than introduce a new one" it rings hollow with me because any sympathy I had for Sansa as a person was stamped out years ago.
What you're saying really makes no sense to me, but I guess we'll leave it at that.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Think about it like this, aside from quivering in fear or appreciating the hospitality of others and thanking them for it, what has Sansa done in five seasons as a character other than been the plot device Mr. Potato Head, passed around from one bad guy to another to show how deprived they are and how much in peril Sansa is? Whether it's Joffrey, Cersei, the Hound, Littlefinger, her Aunt Lysa, and now Ramsay Bolton, it all shows "Well, look whose beating up Sansa this year."

As a character, she does nothing but sit there and take it, for five seasons. We get it, Sansa is the poster child of battered wives and children everywhere. If she had more to her character than that, we could at least take solace in the fact that she's changing.

Or to put it another way, aside from her growing up physically a bit, what's the difference between season 2 Sansa and season 5 Sansa?
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Vympel wrote:I loved how this episode had payoff for the scene between Loras, Olyvar and Margaery in Episode 1 - you know, the one everyone assumed was just pointless marking of time.

Cersei scribbling away, pretending to be Tywin, and getting called out on it by Olenna was a LOL moment.

FINALLY! HOUSE TYRELL SOLDIERS! To the armor page!

Littlefinger's plan becomes clear:

1. Let Stannis and Roose fight each other to exhaustion;
2. Swoop in with an army from the Vale and defeat the victor, take Winterfell;
3. Get declared Warden of the North by Queen Cersei; and
4. Oh heyyyyyyyyy - marry Sansa.
If he gets #3 he doesn't need Sansa. The fact that he was willing to let her be Ramsay's rape toy shows that she's as expendable to him as Ros.
Loved the Tourney at Lannisport reference with Jorah and Tyrion, and their shenanigans generally.

Dornishman's Wife was welcome.

Not much happened in Dorne, but we got a cool fight sequence, proof that the Sand Snakes suck (because of course they do - they're basically teenagers with hardly any experience).

If Bronn dies from that cut - WE RIOT
#Bronn'sLifeMatters

He's fucked -I knew it when Jamie picked him up a few episodes ago. Any character I find cool or at least not annoying or a total prick will die horribly on this show. Cute couples are also doomed, with one or both lovers being killed in gruesome fashion. So Marcella (is that Emma Roberts?) and/or her Prince Charming will no doubt die in agony. That goes double for Loras and his stool pigeon fuck buddy.

The Sand Snakes are a fucking joke. Three tiny teenage girls are supposed to be badasses in the martial arts? They have a strange way of showing it. The front flip by the one who got knocked down that had frames taken out to speed it up reminded me of Under Siege 2 when a very fat Steven Seagal couldn't flip Everett McGill in realtime so they did it slowly and cut the frames to speed it up. Oh, and the one who twirled the spear like a girl I knew in high school who was a majorette in the marching band and did way too many jello shots before performing...

At least that was funny -if you were there at the time.

The costumes looked like something worn by extras on Xena. That whole sequence sucked out loud, except my girlfriend was smitten the lovey dovey stuff with Marcella and her suckerpunched prince ("Why can't they have the show just about them?"). Which means I'm going to have to listen to her throw a fit when one or both get killed. On second thought, that part sucked, too.

Where is Theon's sister? Any chance she might try again to break him out or at least put him out of his misery?

Is there any way to send someone (like Sam and Gilly) down to Stannis' previous home base to bring back as much dragon glass as possible?

Where is Berrick Wan Kenobi and his Merry Men?

Oh, and fuck you Tommen, you spineless little douche!
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

TheFeniX wrote:Maybe she expects the Tyrells to lack that spine, but she's pretty much allowing a vendetta to ruin the kingdom, which is probably her real motivation: she's not as smart as she thinks she is, surrounded herself with sycophants, and is putting her faith in all the wrong people in order to try, and likely fail, to protect her family.
To be fair, it's not a vendetta that's motivating Cersei to do what she is doing. It is her paranoia over the prophecy that was told to her by the witch in the Episode 1 flashback. A prophecy that is slowly coming through. She is trying to get rid of Margaery, plain and simple.