ARRGH (ROTK spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

darthdavid wrote:Oh and sarumans staff was NEVER FUCKING BROKEN. So now with gandalf and sauron gone saruman has a staff and plenty of time to plot an escape from orthanac. It would've taken 5 minutes to show gandalf breaking the staff and worm tounge dropping the planitir buuut nooooo, were just going to leave one of the most powerful wizzards ever sitting around gaining power to do evil crap.
The reason Jackson didn't spend more than 5 minutes in Isengarde at all was because it belonged in TT. If he had spent more than that much time on it you would be screaming bloody murder because he put part of a different book in the wrong movie.
Fucking moronic tolkein fanwhore.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

darthdavid wrote:Oh and sarumans staff was NEVER FUCKING BROKEN. So now with gandalf and sauron gone saruman has a staff and plenty of time to plot an escape from orthanac. It would've taken 5 minutes to show gandalf breaking the staff and worm tounge dropping the planitir buuut nooooo, were just going to leave one of the most powerful wizzards ever sitting around gaining power to do evil crap.
It WAS broken, we just never saw it happen, and it's not mentioned again.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
StormTrooperTR889 wrote:The movie was 3.5 hours long.
Dayam, it felt like only 90 minutes when I watched it.
3.33 hours, actually, and the last 20 minutes are credits, IIRC.
I timed the film and it was just about three hours thirty minutes, likely the 20 minutes of credit are on top of that.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm quite happy with many of the changes Jackson made. It diminishes the sense of urgency and desperation we're supposed to feel about the Ring when Frodo sits on his ass for 20 years after getting the damn thing. When I first saw FoTR I immediately thought "Wow, that's so much better!".

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Heh, I think I'm the only person on the board who thinks the movie should've been shorter. I don't mean cutting out entire scenese, but getting rid of the more bullshit dialogue would have been great. I was glad they cut out the Scouring, that was the most useless part of the books, other then the damn songs.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Peter Jackson is not a 'moron' for trying to make an enjoyable film. Some people (like me) actually wanted to see a movie based on a book, and not simply an entire book on film.

I liked the movie. I'm glad Jackson left out the scouring. Some things just don't belong in a movie.
delicious pies
Daltonator
Reclusive Wanker

Post by Daltonator »

darthdavid wrote:Oh and for all you time morons, were there not 6 fucking books? Make it based on the 6 fucking books. Hell i'd love that. Then you'd have 6 movies and you could do it fucking right. Fucking morons.
There was one book, you fucking wanker, split into three volumes: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, each of which was further subdivided into two parts.

What you fucking purist dickshits ALWAYS fail to remember is the inherent difficulty in adapting a book into movie form. Given his constraints, I think PJ went above and beyond expectations.

I'm a big fan of the books, always have been, always will be. And I'm a big fan of the movies too, because I recognize them as an adaption of the book and not a literal grab-and-slap. And even though I thought the Scouring of the Shire was a great way to bring closure for the hobbits and show how much they've grown, it would have dragged out the movie. The destruction of the Ring was the single most climactic scene in the movie and to drag it out by adding on the Scouring would have been a huge mistake.
JMS 4:22 | Image
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Let me state this:

All of you who call the Scouring of the Shire anti-climatic missed the whole damn point of the book. It was about Frodo and more specifically about Sam. Aragorn, Gandalf, and the rest of the Fellowship are means to an end, namely telling the story of four folk taken away from comfort and security and thrust into a great sweep of the world.

The Scouring is the ONLY way to logically reconnect the Hobbits with the Shire. One might realize that Bilbo after his adventure returned as something of a stranger to all (certainly he was viewed warily and enviously). His adventure alientated him from society, as a true adventure does...it sets you apart from thsoe who did not go. For Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin the Scouring is the necessarry exercise in returning them to something of the life they knew. The movie somehow has them return in the rainment of Rohan, the Tower Guard, and with elven cloaks...yet they can sit down at the Green Dragon unnoticed? Talk about total lapse in storytelling, it is a disconnect which, again, does a horrible job of leading into Frodo's desire to leave. The scouring is also what brings about closure to his story by placing Sam as the one who will rebuild and regrow that which was once green, it is the reminder of what he has sacrificed for. The movie ATTEMPTS to get this in the handing over of the Red Book and as moving as it is, I choke up a bit for that scene, it is still HOLLOW in comparison with the novel.

All that said I could understand eliminating the scouring, I won't even really complain about it (It simply isn't something most people realize is neccessarry, but then again most people haven't been to war like Tolkein had...go figure that one...a war veteran knows more about what it takes to return to life after a war than a bunch of non-vets)

My complaint is with a couple things not the least of which is the breaching of the walls of Minas Tirith...it never happened. The breaking of the gates was suppossed to trigger the confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King...where the fuck was that...It would have been great: Gandalf faces down Sauron's chief lieutenant...darkness is all over the city..then suddenly silence as a cock crows, the sun breaks through the darkness and the horns of Rohan sound...its perfect and Jackson couldn't fucking take the time to work it? Christ its one of the titanic showdowns in the novel and his fuckup leads to my second complaint:

TIMING

Tolkein was anal retentive to a new level about timing...he mapped out paces and distances, measured how far everyone had to travel to have them arrive at given times and to sequence events just so. Jackson fucked it ALL to hell. Yes the Shelob incident occurs near simultaneous with the ride of Gandalf but that is because the Eye turns away from Frodo not due to an attack but due to Aragorn and the Palantir...in other words Frodo's journey miraculously fast forwards by a WEEK. He is able to cross the plains of Gorgoroth (several dozen leauges) in a matter of hous suddenly. I mean when did he grow wings? I could go into more but arrgghhh.

If you think I'm nitpicking I'll lay out the sequence of events in LOTR the novel and place it side by side with the events in ROTK and you see how the timing got fucked up, how it just fucked everything up.
Last edited by CmdrWilkens on 2003-12-22 09:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Small qualifier to the above...I still loved the movie I just have problems with it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

To wilkens: I kinda got the impression in the Green Dragon as they looked around and such that they themselves felt like outsiders, from all their glances and such. And I don't remember any of their fellow Hobbits paying much attention to them. But that's just me. *shrug*
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I liked the scouring of the Shire in the books because it seemed to drive home a massive point: the war hit EVERYWHERE, not just in Gondor. There was no place that was truly spared by Sauron's (and by extension, Saruman's) darkness. At the same time, it managed to show that it WAS possible, just difficult, to stamp out all the evil in addition to cutting off the source.

But I'm glad they left it out of the movie, then it would've been just too long, and I think I agree that it's not really that vital to the story, at least not vital enough to merit such time as it would've needed.
JADAFETWA
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Jackson cut the Saruman's scene out because they were disturbing the flow of the movie, or somesuch along the lines. Lee was pissed as hell about it.

And the scouring of the Shire: That was somehow done in the first movie, where Frodo did see a scouring of the Shire in the mirror of Galadriel...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Nothing's more inane than purist fanwhores stroking it to every turd mistake Tolkien put on paper. I'm sorry, he AIN'T that good, first and foremost (his descriptions of scenes take up half the fucking book and are for the most part completely unecessary, and some of his writing decisions are just inane) and some things DO need to be cut for a film to work.

And this is moved to fantasy.

And PS, the EE will have Saruman's end (a 7 minute scene). It will be at least 40 mins longer, I reckon.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

I agree with kuja about the scouring of the shire, in addition IMO it shows that the "outside world" is finding it easier and easier to encroach on the shire which in the long run will destroy the lifestyle of the hobbits and just goes to show that after certain events (WWI for example) life will never be the same.
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gentlemen....

I read LotR for the first time in the late '80s, possibly before some of you were born. Then, and now, I still skim over some portions of the book when the descriptives get too overblown. Tokien was a hell of a storyteller, but needed an editor at times.

PJ was his editor, a much needed one to get the story mostly complete onscreen. The parts that the movies left out, such as Tom Bombadil, the BarrowWights, and the Scouring, I have agreed with, because they did take away from the main story in my opinion. Even the Scouring felt out of place to me, more of a way for Saruman to get in one last kick at Gandalf and the Hobbits. Pippin and Merry in their armour, raising the Hobbits to fight was stirring, yes... but .............

Well... But it was just drawing out the ending. It was anti-climatic.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The six books you are thinking of are the "History of Middle Earth" books. Less story, more fact.

And kudos to CmdrWilkens for using "Raiment" in a sentence ;)

Its just a movie.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

IIRC isn't the Extended Edition going to be about 6 hours long? I'm betting there's going to be the "healing hands" and stuff in there, as well as Saruman!
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

The thing I'm most looking forward to in the EE is the uprooting of the old, dead tree in the royal courtyard and the planting of the sapling.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Andrew J. wrote:The thing I'm most looking forward to in the EE is the uprooting of the old, dead tree in the royal courtyard and the planting of the sapling.
The old dead tree was there at the end, but with new blooms, IIRC.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Andrew J. wrote:The thing I'm most looking forward to in the EE is the uprooting of the old, dead tree in the royal courtyard and the planting of the sapling.
The old dead tree was there at the end, but with new blooms, IIRC.
Yes, the tree in the courtyard during the Crowning of Aragorn was blooming.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Joe wrote:Do you realize just how anti-climatic and pointless the scouring of the Shire really is? I don't care if Tolkien wrote it.
A novel is not supposed to end with the climax.

There's a whole section of novel left, called the Dénouement, which winds down the novel, and shows the aftereffects of the climax.

That's the function the last two/three chapters of LOTR, including and especially the scouring, fulfill.

They don't fit in the movie, but they are necessary in the novel.

Even as a purist loony, I would have been happy if it ended with the first fade out. Hell, I even though that Frodo should have fallen with gollum, as the movie suggested he would, with his dramatic hanging over the edge bit, because the whole point of him leaving for Valinor is his sacrifice in leaving, which isn't carried by the movie ending at all.

In fact, the onlt thing that really dissatisfied me in ROTK was the fact that Denethor was crap. If they'd showed the bit with the Palantir, it would be alright, because that would explain his actions nd character, he's an exceptionally proud man forced into a position where he will lose everything, his sons, his city, and the responsibility of his position. But in the film he's just portrayed as a wanker for the sake of making the audience dislike him.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:The six books you are thinking of are the "History of Middle Earth" books. Less story, more fact.

And kudos to CmdrWilkens for using "Raiment" in a sentence ;)

Its just a movie.
Couple things

1) No it is not "History of Middle Earth." The novel "Lord of the Rings" is comprised of six bookes (I, II, III, IV, V, and VI). It has been generally subdivided into three printings withh books I and II in "The Fellowship of the Ring", books III and IV in "The Two Towers" and books V and VI obviously in "Return of the King."

For those who are not aware while Books I and II roughly follow the entire fellowship in an entirely chronological order books III-VI split with III and V covering the adventures of Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, and Pippin. Meanwhile books IV and VI cover Frodo, Sam and Gollum until everyone reunites in Chapter 4 Book VI. Everyone with me there?

2) Thank you /bow

3) I understand its just a movie :D Again I fully understand the reasons for not including the Scouring (time being foremost and movie conventions being next in line). However this won't stop me from gripping about things I feel were done innapropriately such as altering the sequence of events along with notable changes in the motivations and nature of several characters (Denethor in this movie, and Faramir in TTT are foremost). I also don't like Jackson developing his own thematic elements serpate from those Tolkein established (the rise of Men is certainly offset by the inclusion of elves in Helm's Deep for one, the motives of Aragorn changed from bringing forth the age of men to fighting for Arwen for another)

I also understand some people will chide me for being a "purist." Fine, just remember those comments whenver it comes to soething you might cherish such as, perhaps Dune or Star Wars. i don't want to hear gripes about horrible changes in direction due to new people being at the helm of a project. I know furtehrmore that several of those who have come out with the "stupid Tolkein purists" anti-gripe are purists themselves on other subjects (or at least can be readily accused of such with good reasoning).

basically while you mgiht not agree that Peter Jackson should have followed the novel more closely I don't want to hear the "purist" bullshit so long as you maintain similair beliefs regarding any other fictional creation...which is an awful large percentage of the population here.

-Kingdom of Heaven
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

StarshipTitanic wrote:So Eowyn is a semantics whore?
It's the MacDuff Copout. Where any mystical prophecy/ rule can be broken on account of a technicality based on semantics.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

SyntaxVorlon wrote: The reason Jackson didn't spend more than 5 minutes in Isengarde at all was because it belonged in TT. If he had spent more than that much time on it you would be screaming bloody murder because he put part of a different book in the wrong movie.
It's a shame he stated on the TTT Extended Edition extras that he was planning on opening RotK with Gandalf and Co riding in and deposing Saruman.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.