Excaliber ...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Adrian Tullberg
Padawan Learner

Excaliber ...

Post by Adrian Tullberg »

King Arthur's sword ...

... what was it's abilities/advantages? I know the scabbard was supposed to prevent bleeding (if it stops internal heamorraging, very little's going to outright kill you) but what does the actual blade do apart from being a good quality sword?
The Doctor (while standing in the pouring rain)-Pardon me, but could you spare a glass of water?
-From Doctor Who and The Brain of Morbius

Davros: We shall become all powerful ... !
The Doctor, joining in: Crush the lesser races! Conquer the Galaxy! Incredible power, unlimited rice pudding, etcetera, etcetera!!
-Remembrance of the Daleks
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

you can't lose if you are holding it.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

It's ExcalibUr
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

It's been a long time since my Arthurian Legend phase, but I seem to remember that the scabbard held the overwhelming majority of the set's magical powers. I'm pretty sure Excalibur had standard magic blade proporties like "will never tarnish or loose it's edge" and more or less unbreakable, but the scabbard made the bearer more or less invulnerable.

I don't recall, however, if this was an original part of the legends, or if it was something White made up to go with the other themes in The Once and Future King. It certainly fits the themes IIRC, making the container more powerful than the weapon...
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

So long as you held the weapon, you could never lose a battle. As long as you wore the scabbard, you would never die, no matter how horribly injured you were.

In addition, the sword was unbreakable (as opposed to the one Arthur pulled from the stone).
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Master of Ossus wrote:So long as you held the weapon, you could never lose a battle. As long as you wore the scabbard, you would never die, no matter how horribly injured you were.

In addition, the sword was unbreakable (as opposed to the one Arthur pulled from the stone).
Well, unless you decide to go tilting at yonder Star Destroyer :)
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Badme wrote:Well, unless you decide to go tilting at yonder Star Destroyer :)
*imagines Lambda-class shuttle setting down before hopping up and cursing about the sword stuck in its foot*

:lol:
JADAFETWA
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

"Look, strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not some FARCICAL aquatic ceremony! You can't claim supreme executive power just because some watery TART through a sword at you! If I went around claiming I was Emperor just because some moistened BINT threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!"
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kuja wrote:
*imagines Lambda-class shuttle setting down before hopping up and cursing about the sword stuck in its foot*

"It's Only a Flesh Wound!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

LadyTevar wrote:
Kuja wrote:

"It's Only a Flesh Wound!"
Hey quit stealing my lines :P
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Ace Pace wrote:you can't lose if you are holding it.
Sort of like the spear of destany, Hittler thought that because he had it(yes I'm talking about real life and not about the vid game) that he could not be beaten.
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

LT.Hit-Man wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:you can't lose if you are holding it.
Sort of like the spear of destany, Hittler thought that because he had it(yes I'm talking about real life and not about the vid game) that he could not be beaten.
I think that's probably one of the loonier Hilter myths out there. Hilter was just the usual sort of meglomanical dictators that have plagued the human race through out histoy.