Elf ears

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Kelly Antilles wrote:BTW, I do believe that Hobbits, like Kinder and Halflings, are decended from fey or elves.
I was always under the impression Halflings/Hobbits are from human stock.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

SirNitram wrote: I was always under the impression Halflings/Hobbits are from human stock.
Yes, but they are still half fey.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

D&D Halflings or Tolkien's Hobbits?

Because I believe Tolkien states that Hobbits have more relation to men than anything else (one reason they're called the "big folk" and the "little folk").

I'll have to look it up to be sure, though...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Okay, I don't exactly have time to look through Letters or the HOME volumes, but I found this on The Encyclopedia of Arda:
A mortal race almost certainly related to Men, though their origins are unknown. Their most distinguishing feature was their short stature; even the tallest Hobbits rarely exceeded four feet in height.

Originally a widespread people, hobbits were found in much of the north of Middle-earth and down the Vales of Anduin. As the Third Age passed, the Hobbits moved north and west, eventually founding the land of the Shire in III 1601.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kelly Antilles wrote:
SirNitram wrote: I was always under the impression Halflings/Hobbits are from human stock.
Yes, but they are still half fey.
Well... considering that Tolkien has Aragorn as the descedant of a Half-Elf that chose mortality, wouldn't that make his lineage Fey?

I'd have to find which Index states how the Hobbit came to be. Could it be possible that Hobbits get their longevity and odd features from a lessor branch of the same line as Aragorn?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Tolkien never described the exact origin of Hobbits, but he did state that they were an offshoot of Men similar to the Druedain (Wild Men). The only human/elven unions were Beren/Luthien, Tuor/Idril, Aragorn/Arwen, and the marriage between one of Finduilas's maids and Imrazor the Numenorean that led to the Princes of Dol Amroth. No Elves were ever known to have married a Hobbit. (Though there is a mention that one of the Took ancestors might have taken a fairy wife...)
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Then Aragorn is half-elven, obviously. Personally, I don't like Tolkien.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kelly Antilles wrote:Then Aragorn is half-elven, obviously. Personally, I don't like Tolkien.
... Half-Elven?

Maybe... remember that the original Half-Elf patriarch started the line before Sauron even forged the Ring Of Power, iirc. The blood would be either really thin... or built back in from intermarriage over centuries with cousins (and cousins of cousins, ad nauseum)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

I guess at this point I should say that I have never read The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

LadyTevar wrote:
Kelly Antilles wrote:Then Aragorn is half-elven, obviously. Personally, I don't like Tolkien.
... Half-Elven?

Maybe... remember that the original Half-Elf patriarch started the line before Sauron even forged the Ring Of Power, iirc. The blood would be either really thin... or built back in from intermarriage over centuries with cousins (and cousins of cousins, ad nauseum)
Yes, Aragorn has only a tiny smidgeoun of elvish blood and for that matter an even smaller smidgeoun of Maiar blood. But in many ways he's a "throwback" toward the old half elven sires of the House of Elros.

Now Aragorn's children will be more than half elven.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

To the dude about Record of Lodoss War:

Do not buy, by any chance, even if that means you will die, the Legends of Heroic Knight Lodoss series. You have to buy the older one, even if the animemation is worse (But then Heroic Knight is not that good either). It is much superior, plus they have the better kickass villains Ashram and Pirotess (a dark elf) which rock. They are destroyed in the Heroic Knights by the new storyline as most of the stuff.
I will repeat, Legends of Heroic Knight is crap, absolute crap. Be safe...

Now Halflings are not related to elfs in D&D, they are created out of thin air by Yondalla, their goddess. And in D&D they are not "fey" like nymphs or driads, but humanoids, just like Elfs, orcs or goblins are not feys as well.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

I think an elf would have it pretty good in reality, if anyone here knows what its like to have their ears played with, think what itd be like for an elf with lodoss style ears.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

LT.Hit-Man wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Oh, and Record of Lodoss War is very very good.

The only reason I don't have it right now is because I sold my old crappy set so that I could eventually get the better new set.
Hmmm ok then I just might get it, is it out on dvd?
Possibly.

In short: The Rocord of Lodoss Wars OAV is what the Dungeons and Dragons movie should have been.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

hmm interesting thought could half orcs be the Urak hai from TTT and ROTK?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Typhonis 1 wrote:hmm interesting thought could half orcs be the Urak hai from TTT and ROTK?
The Urak-Hai were a sorcerous mix of Goblin, Orc, and Man, IIRC

Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

Kelly Antilles wrote:I guess at this point I should say that I have never read The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
--That's horrible! What would it take to convince you to read the trilogy?
Nova Andromeda
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

LadyTevar wrote:
Typhonis 1 wrote:hmm interesting thought could half orcs be the Urak hai from TTT and ROTK?
And Goblins were tortured elves subjected to other stuff, I believe.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy. It is one book that was divided into three volumes for publishing conveniance.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Exonerate wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
And Goblins were tortured elves subjected to other stuff, I believe.
No, the Orcs were captured Elves that Melkor (Sauron's master, and Evil Valar) tortured and twisted. That's why Elves try to kill them whenever possible.

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Hitman, I rather enjoyed Lodoss War. I reccomend buying it. There's just one beef I had... I never see a ordinary human grunt kill a golbin or kobold, or other evil monster type thingie... That's why I laughed when the leader of Marmo (the bad guys) made references to their "losses." So I came to the conclusion that the men of Valice are nothing compared to those in Gondor.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

SAMAS wrote:
LT.Hit-Man wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Oh, and Record of Lodoss War is very very good.

The only reason I don't have it right now is because I sold my old crappy set so that I could eventually get the better new set.
Hmmm ok then I just might get it, is it out on dvd?
Possibly.

In short: The Rocord of Lodoss Wars OAV is what the Dungeons and Dragons movie should have been.
Given that "Record Of Lodoss War" actually was based upon somebody's D&D campaign, it's not surprising.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
SAMAS wrote:
LT.Hit-Man wrote: Hmmm ok then I just might get it, is it out on dvd?
Possibly.

Given that "Record Of Lodoss War" actually was based upon somebody's D&D campaign, it's not surprising.
Realy? well now your learn something new everyday
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Kelly Antilles wrote:I guess at this point I should say that I have never read The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Hrmm. There must be some way to arrange for this to be remedied, surely, or 'else there is some specific reason why not?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.