Dark Shadows on DVD?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Dark Shadows on DVD?

Post by Tsyroc »

Does anyone know if there are plans to release the 1990s remake version of Dark Shadows on DVD?

I'm interested in seeing all of it since the show itself started when I was on leave between Desert Sheild and Desert Storm (Gulf War I). The first few parts I saw were pretty good if a bit familiar from watching the original show. but I'd like to see the rest of it anyway.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

A lot of the core fans hate it. I liked it for what it was, and how it synthesized the plots of the old show into a more coherent saga.

That said, nobody can replace Jonathan Frid!

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Lord Poe wrote:A lot of the core fans hate it. I liked it for what it was, and how it synthesized the plots of the old show into a more coherent saga.

That said, nobody can replace Jonathan Frid!
I always thought he looked really cool but was kind of whiney as Barnabas.

The guy who played Barnabas (Ben Cross I think?) was just kind of eh. I did like their choice of Lysette Anthony as Angelique.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Tsyroc wrote:I always thought he looked really cool but was kind of whiney as Barnabas.
That was only when he was pretending to be human. He was really evil otherwise!
The guy who played Barnabas (Ben Cross I think?) was just kind of eh. I did like their choice of Lysette Anthony as Angelique.
Yup. Yum yum!

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Lord Poe wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:I always thought he looked really cool but was kind of whiney as Barnabas.
That was only when he was pretending to be human. He was really evil otherwise!
Well that sucks. I totally missed those parts. I really only caught small bits of the original show on reruns when I was in high school. Where I was living they were showing the modern day time when Angelique's ghost shows up but when I went to visit my parents in Arizona their station was showing the "flashback" stuff where Barnabas first becomes a vampire because of the curse.
Yup. Yum yum![/quote]

Have you read any of the Dark Shadows books? I read the first one which was all about Angelique, it was okay. I haven't read the second one yet.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Tsyroc wrote:Well that sucks. I totally missed those parts. I really only caught small bits of the original show on reruns when I was in high school. Where I was living they were showing the modern day time when Angelique's ghost shows up but when I went to visit my parents in Arizona their station was showing the "flashback" stuff where Barnabas first becomes a vampire because of the curse.
I liked that arc, actually. When Barnabas was a vampire "behind closed doors" he's beat his servant with the cane, wall up a preacher in the basement, etc.
Have you read any of the Dark Shadows books? I read the first one which was all about Angelique, it was okay. I haven't read the second one yet.
I have the book, but haven't read it yet! Try to find "House of Dark Shadows" for rent. It summarizes the Barnabas arc in 2 hours!