Elf Haters

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I find elves incredibly annoying, unless they're from Those Who Hunt Elves. And female. And naked.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

lgot wrote:well, since 2001 around, White Wolf lost his better writters and they publish only bad stuff...

(snip)

It all comes down to what public opinion likes and public opinon didnt like the WW-elves. That they didnt like Wraith as well was not surprising IMO. The market was already saturated and even more product kept coming. Changeling and Wraith simply fell short.
I found the Changelings to be fun... even got involved in a one-day LARP with them. The whole point is that you have to have a good DM for any game, and Changeling is far more challenging than the other White Wolf games. Hell, the way they had to cast their glamour was a pain in the ass, but the spells themselves were way powerful.
When a first level Pooka can freeze a Sidhe knight in place with her spell (As I did at the LARP), that's Power. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Drow are useful for dealing with elf problems, in a quick (not for the elves) and entertaining manner.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

lgot wrote:well, since 2001 around, White Wolf lost his better writters and they publish only bad stuff...
Dare I say that White Wolf's better writers now run Holistic Design?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Skelron wrote:
SAMAS wrote:It's kinda hard to just say "Elves" anymore.

Do you mean the Poncey, arrogant High Elves?

The Naturalistic Hippie Wood Elves?

The Violent and sinister Dark Elves?

Or the Sci-Fi Eldar?

Mind you, that's just the Games Workshop versions.
HEHE and of course all of these do not fall foul of the 'No Shock troops' Arguement given before.

High Elves, Can everyone say Silver Helms, and Dragon Princes? Or the Spearmen, Civilian Levy, which spend fully a Quarter of their Lives training with the same unit....

Wood Elves yes they use archer's... Alot but Wardancer's are the very definition of Shock Trooper's, watch as they dive over your heads to hit your General, ignoring the cannon fodder screen.

Dark Elves... Don't mess with them, nuff said.
Eldar... Well they don't have Archer's being a Sci-Fi group.
Who needs a bow when you have shuriken pistols :twisted:
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

can't forget Fusion Guns either....
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

I think my opinion of elves can be summed up thusly:

High Elves: Limp-wristed fruitpies.
Wood Elves: Playing peek-and-poke up in the treehouse.
Dark Elves: 2nd Edition munchkins.
The revolution is successful, but survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives means slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered.

Signed,
Kodos, Governor of Tarsus 4.

The Justice League
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stormbringer wrote:I dislike a lot of fantasy elves because they're poorly written. They tend to become bad cliches about the wise and all knowing elder race or naturalistic eco-friends after a while. I was particularly annoyed at Blizzard for doing that in Warcraft 3 with the Night and High Elves.
Indeed. The Warcraft II elves where much better, as are the blood elves in The Frozen Throne.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956