Magic in Fantasy

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Magic in Fantasy

Post by Kitsune »

If you were creating your own Fanatsy World, what style of magic would you use? These are the ideas I have:

1. Object based, Magic Wands, Magic Staves, Magic Crystals - These objects are used as focuses for the magic.

2. Elemental Based - All magic is based on Elemental forces and elemental creatures such as Salmanders, Undines, Sylphs, and Gnomes.

3. Magic Comes from inside - The magic user focues magic enemrgy from themsleves and as they cast more spells, they get tired. Some extreme cases may litterly have a wizard burn themselves out.

4. No Magic, Psionics instead - The universe has no magic but all 'Spells' are psychic abilities

5. Spells are Memorized and Forgetten when cast - Like Dungeons and Dragons

I would probably go with number three
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Beleif based. The more firmly you know something will happen, the more likely.

Probability manipulation. The user manipulates the liklihood of something happening until it does occour.

Reality twisting. The user forms a brief link between the real world and a potential world with the result happening.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Mix of 2 and 3, like in Chrono Trigger and X. I like that.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

no objects or incantations (sp) just simple hand motions kind of like what they do in Phantasy star
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

1-3 is usually what I use.

Even a bit of reality twistng of Nitram's.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Re: Magic in Fantasy

Post by Shinova »

Kitsune wrote:1. Object based, Magic Wands, Magic Staves, Magic Crystals - These objects are used as focuses for the magic.

3. Magic Comes from inside - The magic user focues magic enemrgy from themsleves and as they cast more spells, they get tired. Some extreme cases may litterly have a wizard burn themselves out.

4. No Magic, Psionics instead - The universe has no magic but all 'Spells' are psychic abilities
These three. Artifacts could give owners big boosts of power and capability.

As for the other two, they're different powers with different sources, with some overlaps.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

In my world, magic takes many different forms.....
There are the Surani and the Estori who's main magics come from manipulation of thier personal power.....thier "will".....then there are others who have crafted rune artifacts that allow the channeling of energy through the object....it still requires the use of "will" but allows power to the "lesser" races such as humans.....
There's other things aswell....demons tend to use elemental magic connected with thier own nature....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Mix of three and five, based on (but not limited to) the "magic elements", i.e., fire, lightning, ice, etc.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

It depends entirely on the universe I'm inventing for the day.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I think that the system created by the Russian writer Nick Perumov works out the best.

According to that system you:
1) Combine the components of your spell. These can be artifacts, words, incantations, gestures, or mental concepts or images, or any combination thereof.

2) Find a power source to activate the spell: either the internal energy resources, or an external source, such as a magic artifact.. The uber-beings there power up by literally spinning the world around them, and harnessing the energy released, while lesser spellcasters get to use what's left.

Also, becuase the Perumoverse is really a mutiverse with an infinite number of universes, the spellcasting times and power vary greatly from world to world. For instnace, some spells may require an elaborate combination of symobls, magical ingridients, etc, and take hours to complete, while some spells are cast subconciously as a relflex.

Similarly, the power of the spells varies from foretelling the local weather, to litelaaly snapping your fingers and making a universe dissapear.

Also, since all spells are a collection of ingreadients+power source, it is possible to all of the spell components via the astral dimension. Thus, a skilled wizard can disrupt a spell by "cutting the strings that connect these components".

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Mix of 1 and 3, with maybe some psionics and 2 as well. That is, magic\psionics is normally internally powered, but you can use objects as focuses and power stores, and appeal to magical beings for help (if they exist). The whole forgetting thing seems kinda silly to me.

The important question is just how powerful it is. I tend to the lower end, so that there is a reason for technology, and that the world is mostly recognisable in our terms. (D&D mages say are so ridiculously powerful that the place should bear no resemblance whatsoever to anything historical).
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I like Feist's Lesser and Greater Paths myself. The 'Lesser' path mage is more in tune with nature, and uses devices (scrolls, talismans, staffs, etc) to perform Magic.

A Greater path mage, uses the magic that is inherent in the world to work his spells, however it wasn't fully qualified whether it was outside magic or magic inside. I think for most Greater Paths it is magic inherent to themselves, with the exception being Milamber (Pug) and Macros.

And of course there is temple magic which works on faith.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'