Is it time to Update Superhero Wear?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Is it time to Update Superhero Wear?

Post by Lord Poe »

On http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com, they are praising a new Batman 8 minute short that "gets it right". There's a few pix of Batman Year One, and well....

Looks a lot like the Adam West Batman to me.

A guy in long johns and trunks simply doesn't look right in RL. I like what they did in X-men, giving them uniforms that are a BIT more believable than the comic versions. And Spiderman can be forgiven, because he desined his original costume to be flashy for TV before he knew he was going to fight crime for a living.

But what about Superman and Batman? Those trunks over the tights thing is just awful. Looks ok in the comics, but when you see a RL guy trying to pull it off....ugh.

I'm not endorsing the rubber suit Batman either. But what should a "modern" Batman look like? Should he have kne and elbow pads? A cloth costume with a bullet-proof vest underneath? SHOULD he have a cape? How practical ishis mask? I mean, if a guy with a machete starts cutting people up in a Gotham City rampage, does it really sound reasonable for Bruce Wayne to try tio struggle into a rubber costume for an hour before confronting the bad guy?

As for Superman, the trunks and cape have to go. The cape should be shredded every time he flies fast anyway? I saw Superman in his Krypton persona, and thought that was an excellent costume. Thoughts?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

For comics...it's good, but I agree most costumes do not transfer well into movies/TV because of what the colors are(inking helps more then most imagine so does the variety and muting a color a colorist can use, but most of all the penciller can make an inhuman physique)

For Bats I liked the simple Black costume...the original colors do not hold up, and the nor do most of the costumes.

For Supes...a more streamlined desgin would be nice. The cape can stay...but the colors are not too bad, but yellow in any form does not translate well.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Though for a true modern Batman...I envision more Spec Op gear...honestly. His sheer array of weaponry all on him in small pockets.

For Supes...I would say the Kryptonain outfit is a good start.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

Ghost Rider wrote:Though for a true modern Batman...I envision more Spec Op gear...honestly. His sheer array of weaponry all on him in small pockets.

For Supes...I would say the Kryptonain outfit is a good start.
You mean the Midnighter and Apollo ? :wink:
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

yes an update is needed for hero's. and i agree with GR yellow is the worst
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Ghost Rider wrote:Though for a true modern Batman...I envision more Spec Op gear...honestly. His sheer array of weaponry all on him in small pockets.
Well, I would modify it to be a bit more "Stylish" with bat ears and such but I think somethink like what you say woudl be the best.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I think it looks pretty good for a RL version of the original costume. At least they got someone who is actually rather built to wear it instead of all the pencil necks that played bats in the movies.

Of course the trunks over the tights do looks stupid, not as bad as they do on Superman but bad. I think the Batman outfit would look worse if it were just a grey leotard though. I remember seeing a Elseworlds version of Superboy's outfit where he ditched the red trunks but put something like red stripes up the legs of the blue suit.

I agree with GR that Batman's costume works best in all black or black and very dark grey with the yellow bat symbol on the chest.

I really didn't have a problem with the bat suit in the first Batman movie. It sort of made practical sense that he have this ultra high-tech boddy armor on. If someone was actually going to do what Batman does I don't see how they could survive for long without having a lot more than just bad-assed martial arts skills. Although, I am hoping that any future Batman movies will show him as the martial arts guy he is supposed to be (hopefully without too much flamboyancy and no "wire work").
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Kind of like how the Ultimates line updated Captain America and made him a little more realistic, both the WWII version and the mondern verison.
Ghost Rider wrote:For Supes...I would say the Kryptonain outfit is a good start.
I thought some of the Superman rip-off characters had better "uniforms" than supes for awhile. I kind of like the plainness of The High's uniform, although I like the black t-shirt he wore under his uniform better than his main shirt.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

What about giving Batman a faux-exoskeleton??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:What about giving Batman a faux-exoskeleton??
Too bulky. You can't think of Batman as a tank; he needs all the give he can get in a costume for all his acrobatics.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Lord Poe wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote:What about giving Batman a faux-exoskeleton??
Too bulky. You can't think of Batman as a tank; he needs all the give he can get in a costume for all his acrobatics.
I meant something looking vaguely like a very small exoskeleton - such as a suit of Eldar Aspect Warrior Armour from Warhammer 40K.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"