Return of the Joker

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Return of the Joker

Post by Slartibartfast »

Are there two versions of this movie? I just saw it on HBO, and there's the scene at the beginning where the Joker tells Crazy Dick to shoot Batman with the funny gun, but he drops the gun and kills the Joker by pushing him towards a container full of water stuff, then he slips and grabs on an electric switch and dies. I remember the version I saw before, Dick doesn't drop the gun but shoots the Joker with it, and he dies saying something funny.

Is this some kind of tame PG version instead?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Yep you saw the bootleg-illegal-WB-doesn't-want-you-to-know-exist(Timmy shooting Joker)version.

I've seen both and honestly him shooting Joker was much more stunning and much better given that he broke the boy...shoving him seemed so damn anticlimatic.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

What he said. Joker's last words in that version were: "That's... not... funny..."
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Damn... that reminds me of the censored Gargoyles episode.

So even the DVD version of the movie doesn't have the scene like that then :?
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Oh yeah I meant Tim Drake. Sorry.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Slartibartfast wrote:Damn... that reminds me of the censored Gargoyles episode.

So even the DVD version of the movie doesn't have the scene like that then :?
LOL...another person who's seen the unedited and edited Gargoyle's episode :) .

But yeah...DVD does not have it...and at one time I did have the list of what was taken out, but the biggest was the shooting. Also the edited movie took out the initial shooting of the thug as well as a good portion of the fighting of the Final Batman vs Joker fight.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Once upon a time, I used to get some US channel here called Denver something. There I watched Gargoyles for the first time, in english with no subtitles. It wasn't part of the "kids show" schedule, and apparently they showed everything uncensored (not that there's a lot of censorship in Gargoyles, I bet it was only that one episode). Later I saw it and the cut is quite jarring and badly done - you can hear the freakin music skip :P

I've been reading that there's an unedited DVD version of ROTJ (not return of the jedi) called "the way it was truly intended" and that it was actually released by WB *after* the first movie release.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Slartibartfast wrote:Once upon a time, I used to get some US channel here called Denver something. There I watched Gargoyles for the first time, in english with no subtitles. It wasn't part of the "kids show" schedule, and apparently they showed everything uncensored (not that there's a lot of censorship in Gargoyles, I bet it was only that one episode). Later I saw it and the cut is quite jarring and badly done - you can hear the freakin music skip :P
Yep...I laughed a bit how poorly it was done.
I've been reading that there's an unedited DVD version of ROTJ (not return of the jedi) called "the way it was truly intended" and that it was actually released by WB *after* the first movie release.
Possibly...WB was going to make one since the sales of the bootleg outstripped the regular copies.

So far no word of yet, and the only DVD has deleted scenes...but from what I saw...they do not have the primary deletion(the Tim Drake shooting Joker)

russellb6666
Rabid Monkey

Post by russellb6666 »

well I got the uncensored DVD and I could swear that I saw tim shoot joker but you know I could be mistaken but im 99.99% sure that I did see him shoot the joker
I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here

unleash the power of mediocrity

It's not that i'm a wimp it's just that i have trouble eatting food that looks the same coming out as it did going in

I want you to hit me as hard as you can

Brotherhood of the Monkey
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

russellb6666 wrote:well I got the uncensored DVD and I could swear that I saw tim shoot joker but you know I could be mistaken but im 99.99% sure that I did see him shoot the joker
Two versions of the movie exist. The uncensored version was released first, but was quickly recalled because of a school shooting or something, so WB recalled the movie, made the changes to remove the violence and released the censored version. The after a lot of fan backlash, they caved in and released the uncensored version.

The Jokers death is the biggest change in the movie. Tim shooting him is in the origianl uncensored version. Jopker slipping and electrocuting himself is the edited version. Most of the other canges include snips to the fight scenes, the Joker killing one of the gang members and a few changes in the script.
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Which Gargoyles episode was it?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Baron Mordo wrote:Which Gargoyles episode was it?
The episode where Eylssa Masa gets accidently shot by I think Brooklyn.

Seele
Padawan Learner

Post by Seele »

Baron Mordo wrote:Which Gargoyles episode was it?
I believe it's the one where heavyset gargoyle (can't remember which one) found the Elisa's gun and acdently shooting you. The original edit was her laying behind a counter with only feel showing and a small pool of blood if i recall correctly.
Seele
Padawan Learner

Post by Seele »

I believe it's the one where heavyset gargoyle (can't remember which one) found the Elisa's gun and acdently shooting her. The original edit was her laying behind a counter with only feel showing and a small pool of blood if i recall correctly.

{minor edit to fix a typo boo-boo}
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

What is Return on the Joker, animated? or live action?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

FaxModem1 wrote:What is Return on the Joker, animated? or live action?
Animated.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Where can get an unedited copy?
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I think Kazaa (the bootleg) or buy the DVD (IF it still is in sale). The bootleg that I have at least is QUITE crappy... with korean subtitles or some shit.

BTW I even think the Gargoyles episode was completely removed by the Disney people when airing the marathon or whatever... In fact there was a certain website where you could download the whole episode in Quicktime format.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

The big Gargoyle was named Broadway.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I thought they'd eventually released the unedited version on DVD and with the way Amazon has them listed it looks like it is available. I'd already purchased the edited version and didn't like the movie enough to warrant buying it a second time, although it sounds like it might have been a little bit
better movie.

I think I've seen this uncut version at places like Best Buy. Is there an even more unedited version?

Return of the Joker (Uncut) on Amazon

Return of the Joker (original release)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I bought the uncut version at Suncoast months ago, no problem.
BotM Cybertronian
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:I bought the uncut version at Suncoast months ago, no problem.
Nice to know I wasn't completely halucinating. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.