Question about Wolverine

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Question about Wolverine

Post by Trytostaydead »

Since I've never read the comic books.. exactly what was Wolverine's past? How is he related to Stryker?

Off to the former CAM, now Fantasy...Ghost Rider
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

In comic-continuity: he has zero relation to Stryker, Stryker was introduced for the movie (The comicbook Stryker was a TV-reverand (spelling?) who thought mutants were demons). And I think this should be moved to "Fantasy", since that is the also the comics-board.

Anyway:
The main part on which X2 is based is a mini-series called Weapon X: in that part of Wolverine's past was revealed: he was a secret agent that was kidnapped to become a scientific experiment for super-soldiers. (The comic hints that the mysterious leader behind the Weapon X program knew that Wolverine was a mutant and therefore a suitable subject). To keep him under control, they tried to brainwash him, giving him false memories in the process.

Later comics in the Wolverine-series have expanded on this story.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

If you want to know about Wolverine's past (and I mean, WAY BACk in his past), check out the awesome miniseries Origin, which is available in hardcover from Marvel.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:If you want to know about Wolverine's past (and I mean, WAY BACk in his past), check out the awesome miniseries Origin, which is available in hardcover from Marvel.
I think you can get it in paperback now. It was a good story but sort of undewhelming to me but then I don't much care for the bone claw thing.

As for what X-2 is based on I like the other major story contribution much better, which is X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills. It has Stryker and his plan to kill all mutants using Professor X. It also has the X-Men team up with Magneto.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.