Four way archmage duel

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Who wins?

Gandalf the White
24%
Elminster
71%
Lord Antonidas
No votes
Albus Dumbledore
6%

Total votes: 17

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Four way archmage duel

Post by Iceberg »

Gandalf the White, one of the Maiar and the most powerful being in Middle-Earth

versus

Elminster, the Sage of Shadowdale, an epic-level wizard in his own right and the most powerful wizard in the Forgotten Realms

versus

Lord Antonidas, head of the Kirin Tor, ruler of Dalaran and the most powerful archmage on the world of Azeroth

versus

Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts and (you can see where I'm going with this) the most powerful wizard on Earth.

No holds barred. Who takes this match?
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Elminster, no doubt. He's been a mage, priest, thief, fighter, female, goat herder... you name it, he's done it. He knows you don't have to rely strictly on spells. Don't let his looks fool you.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

And he is a psionicist and wields spellfire....

Elminster takes it...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Don't forget the fact that the goddess of magic singlehandedly blew up half the Abyss to try to rescue him. It is difficult to kill those that enjoy the protection of one of the most deities of Toril.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Yeah... Mystra protecting her lover and all....
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Pfft. Everything D&D dies to anything Tolkien. It's a law or something. Elminster would die to a hobbit. :wink:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

I expect LOTS of special effects.
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Pfft. Everything D&D dies to anything Tolkien. It's a law or something. Elminster would die to a hobbit. :wink:
Um, excuse me? Care to actually back that up?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Grumble, Yea of little education, how about Advisor to the Once and Future King, The Half-Demon, The shapechanging, Slowly growing younger, master of the Crystal Cave...

Merlinus Ambrosius....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Grumble, Yea of little education, how about Advisor to the Once and Future King, The Half-Demon, The shapechanging, Slowly growing younger, master of the Crystal Cave...

Merlinus Ambrosius....
You want to include Merlin, make yer own damn poll. I excluded him because he predates the 20th century.

Though he WOULD make a far better choice than Antonidas, who frankly sucks if he could be killed by an obnoxious little pussy like Death Knight Prince Arthas.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Iceberg wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:Grumble, Yea of little education, how about Advisor to the Once and Future King, The Half-Demon, The shapechanging, Slowly growing younger, master of the Crystal Cave...

Merlinus Ambrosius....
You want to include Merlin, make yer own damn poll. I excluded him because he predates the 20th century.

Though he WOULD make a far better choice than Antonidas, who frankly sucks if he could be killed by an obnoxious little pussy like Death Knight Prince Arthas.
Speaking of pussies, isn't it interesting that Gandalf has been trapped by WOLVES and Dumbledore is so lazy he lets some inexperianced kid deal with the big V 80% of the time?
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Can I drop in Fiona of Amber?
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Merlinus Ambrosius....
Uh, Ambrosius was the title given to the real King Arthur himself, wasn't it?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Durran Korr wrote:

Merlinus Ambrosius....
Ambrosius Aurelius was a historical figure, and according to legends was Uther Pendragon's brother and Arthur's uncle. Nennius (IIRC) wrote a story about a prophet boy named Ambrosius predicting the fall of British king Vortigern and the rise of the Saxons; the young prophet was identified with Vortigern's successor Ambrosius Aurelius. Later, Geoffrey of Monmouth retold the story with the prophet boy as a young Merlin, leading to Merlin's surname of Ambrosius. The name means immortal (related to ambrosia, food of the gods).

Of course, Merlin could have been real and had the same name as Arthur's uncle by coincidence. :)
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Eframepilot wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:

Merlinus Ambrosius....
Ambrosius Aurelius was a historical figure, and according to legends was Uther Pendragon's brother and Arthur's uncle. Nennius (IIRC) wrote a story about a prophet boy named Ambrosius predicting the fall of British king Vortigern and the rise of the Saxons; the young prophet was identified with Vortigern's successor Ambrosius Aurelius. Later, Geoffrey of Monmouth retold the story with the prophet boy as a young Merlin, leading to Merlin's surname of Ambrosius. The name means immortal (related to ambrosia, food of the gods).

Of course, Merlin could have been real and had the same name as Arthur's uncle by coincidence. :)
"I never told you what happened to your uncle"
"You told me enough, you told me you were named after him"
"No, *I* am your uncle"
"Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!"