New M:tG Scourge Set

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Son of the Suns wrote:Forgotten Ancient from Scourge is the best card I've seen in awhile.
If it's 0/3, it's what we call "Bolt Bait."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TheFeniX wrote:
Son of the Suns wrote:Forgotten Ancient from Scourge is the best card I've seen in awhile.
If it's 0/3, it's what we call "Bolt Bait."
Ah yeah... pity they don't make Lightning Bolts anymore. Good thing I stocked up the first time around *smirk*
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

:shock: They don't make LIGHTNING BOLTS anymore?! What's next, Fireballs and Tims? It's moments like these that I'm glad I got out of Magic.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

they haven't made bolt for 3/4 of a decade.
Wow, you've been out of the loop.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Considering I starting playing shortly before Legends released, and dropped shortly after Homelands released, yeah.

Bah, L5R is more entertaining, anyway. :D
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

ZShade wrote::shock: They don't make LIGHTNING BOLTS anymore?! What's next, Fireballs and Tims? It's moments like these that I'm glad I got out of Magic.
Tim owns all.
Dark Hellion wrote:they haven't made bolt for 3/4 of a decade.
Wow, you've been out of the loop.
I haven't played magic in.... 7 years after WotC sold their souls to satisfy the eight year olds that couldn't win because they just sucked at making decks.

This came to me in a revelation when my buddy Roger was beaten by some punk kid whose "mommy" gave him $40 a week to spend on magic cards. Roger was the guy who would take the Inquest decks and modify them to make them 100 times better. He was just badass at making a winning deck. This kid threw together a stock deck from alliance and trumped him using "dead-head" strategy.

I kept up with Magic for a while after that, and saw that the newer cards were designed to specifically rape the older rares. I can't put them together anymore as it's been so long, but I remember how mad I was as the list grew.

After that, my cards began collecting dust.
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

ZShade wrote::shock: They don't make LIGHTNING BOLTS anymore?! What's next, Fireballs and Tims? It's moments like these that I'm glad I got out of Magic.
They stoll got X-teenth different versions of the lightning bolt since then though (though none as good as the original), most of them doing either 2 points of damage for 1 mana, or 3 for 2 mana.
gravity
Padawan Learner

Post by gravity »

I don't see why you guys are hating the new sets so much. I don't play anymore because of lack of players in this area, but the new sets are infinitely more balanced than the old ones. Most old sets had a few decent cards, a few really overpowered cards, and a ton of useless chaff (the biggest infringer being Legends). The new sets cut down on both chaff and overpoweredness, resulting in a more balanced (and hence more interesting) game.
Also, just because your friends crappy deck doesn't work anymore doesn't mean WoTC was catering for 8 year olds, it just means that the game was changing (as it was always meant to, dammit) and you/your friends couldn't keep up.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

gravity wrote:but the new sets are infinitely more balanced than the old ones.
Hahahaha! Did you actually read what you just wrote?
gravity
Padawan Learner

Post by gravity »

TheFeniX wrote:
gravity wrote:but the new sets are infinitely more balanced than the old ones.
Hahahaha! Did you actually read what you just wrote?
Yes, and it's 100% true. I'm not talking about comparing Urza's Saga to Homelands, but more about comparing Invasion or Onslaught to Legends or Arabian Nights or so forth.
The overall power level of sets these days may be higher than in the Homelands/Fallen Empires era, but that doesn't matter so much because the sets are overall better balanced.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Legions was one of the most unbalanced pieces of crap I've seen in a long time. Most of it's cards were utterly useless and crap with a few supremely overpowered cards. But the rest of the newer sets actually aren't too bad about balancing.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

gravity wrote:I don't see why you guys are hating the new sets so much. I don't play anymore because of lack of players in this area, but the new sets are infinitely more balanced than the old ones. Most old sets had a few decent cards, a few really overpowered cards, and a ton of useless chaff (the biggest infringer being Legends). The new sets cut down on both chaff and overpoweredness, resulting in a more balanced (and hence more interesting) game.
Also, just because your friends crappy deck doesn't work anymore doesn't mean WoTC was catering for 8 year olds, it just means that the game was changing (as it was always meant to, dammit) and you/your friends couldn't keep up.
Ok, I wanted to respond to this, until I saw your other post and your definition of new sets turned out to be broader than mine, so don't take this personal. (Because my personal opinion is anything after Apocalypse wasn't worth my time or money with some cute, but overpowered cards in it. )
I think they have run out of ideas: how many different versions of disenchant, counterspell, lightning bolt etc. can you make ? There is a slightly different version in each set.
And I absolutely despise cards like Urza's rage: if you can't find a way to prevent your spell from being countered, you shouldn't be able to do 10 damage. [end minor rant]
And most of the old decks work far better than newer ones in my experience.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Dizzy D wrote:Ok, I wanted to respond to this, until I saw your other post and your definition of new sets turned out to be broader than mine, so don't take this personal. (Because my personal opinion is anything after Apocalypse wasn't worth my time or money with some cute, but overpowered cards in it. )
I think they have run out of ideas: how many different versions of disenchant, counterspell, lightning bolt etc. can you make ? There is a slightly different version in each set.
And I absolutely despise cards like Urza's rage: if you can't find a way to prevent your spell from being countered, you shouldn't be able to do 10 damage. [end minor rant]
And most of the old decks work far better than newer ones in my experience.
They may be beginning to run out of ideas but M:tG has at LEAST another 5-10 years left to it.

Why not have a card that can do 10 damage that is uncounterable, it costs a shit load anyway, and there are many ways around it, like Simulacrum for instance.

And old decks only work better because they have more to work with, and also because it was before M:tG started pulling back the reigns. Older is better because you have sick cards like Lightning Bolt, and Demonic Tutor. Nowadays they are trying to cut back on the sick cards, and all of you are being pissy about it, "Well they aren't as good because they are cutting back on the cheap overpowered cards."
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Dizzy D wrote:.
And I absolutely despise cards like Urza's rage: if you can't find a way to prevent your spell from being countered, you shouldn't be able to do 10 damage.
Look at it from my perspective: If your opponent is alive long enough to have 13 mana to draw from, your deck isn't effective enough. :roll:
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
And I absolutely despise cards like Urza's rage: if you can't find a way to prevent your spell from being countered, you shouldn't be able to do 10 damage.
Look at it from my perspective: If your opponent is alive long enough to have 13 mana to draw from, your deck isn't effective enough. :roll:
Well, there are ways around it, like the Power Artifact and....crap, can't remember the name, tap it for 3, pay 4 to untap it...yeah, but you know what I am talking about. That gives you an infinate mana, and suddenly 13 becomes a lot less. :D
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
True, I can't remember the last time someone in the games I played had 13 mana to spend. (Apart from 1 opponent with a Tolarian Academy/Mox-deck)
I don't think any of my usual opponents even have an Urza's rage or if they had that they would use it.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Well, there are ways around it, like the Power Artifact and....crap, can't remember the name, tap it for 3, pay 4 to untap it...yeah, but you know what I am talking about. That gives you an infinate mana, and suddenly 13 becomes a lot less. :D
No one using a Thran Dynamo would be playing with an Urza's Rage in the same deck.

Besides, with Type 2, one doesn't have to worry about all the old power cards of old, and can concentrate with only the newer cards. It's a bit easier on the noggin when you only have to remember a few hundred cards, not ten thousand or so. :wink:
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.