Your favorite comic cartoon

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Evolution has more bad points than good. They've fucked the X-Men up beyond reasoning.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

WB Batman ((I am vengence I am the night))
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Batman, the earlier years on Fox, befor being moved to WB and addopting the "Superman" Style of animation.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

"Batman: The Animated Series", hands down.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

HBO's animated Spawn had a ton of potential, and one downfall: Nothing ever fucking happened. I remember a Powerpuff Girls episode where each of them decided to rip off a popular superhero, only to find out it wasn't that great. The little girl in the green shirt turned into what was clearly a Spawn clone, then spent the entire day sitting around the house while the city was destroyed. A bit subtler parody than I expected. (Hey, a little kid in the household + Cartoon Network = watching some fucking Powerpuff Girls, so quit laughing!)

Anyway, the best was the very first "Batman the Animated Series" before there was Robin or any of that shit. The early-90's X-Men was very good also, it's story and voices putting it in the same league as Batman despite animation that was clearly inferior. (Played Marvel vs Capcom the other day, and I do believe they were using the voices from this show for the appropriate characters.) Batman Beyond has also been excellent at times, contrary to the dreck I expected from a "young and hip" Batman.

X-Men Evolution just stinks. Am I supposed to buy this shit where they all go to HIGH SCHOOL together? X-Babies has come to pass!
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Strider119
Youngling

Post by Strider119 »

X-men Evo. isn't horrible. It's not the best toon I have ever seen, but it's not the worst either. I find it acceptable

Jackie Chan is a great cartoon as well as Samurai Jack and Batman (90's) and Spidermand (90's)

BUT

for my money I would take Batman Beyond over most anything else. It was such a great story with interesting and dynamic charcters. It was definately cut short, I could have used at least 2 or 3 more seasons.

lazy train:
Strider119
Think you can cook? I got a grappling hook
Let's make this quick cuz I'm really booked
I'm a devious degenerate, defender of the devil
Shut down all the trash compactor's on the detention level

My backpack's got jets
I'm boba the fett
I bounty hunt for jaba hut
To finance my vette
I chill in deep space
A mask is over my face
I deliver the prize but I still narrow my eyes
Cuz my time I don't like to waste.
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

FOX 90s' X-Men, then Dilbert, then Batman Beyond
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

oh yeah i forgot transformers. Shame on me :oops:
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Garfield and Friends...Lorenzo Music's voice perfectly matched Garfield's character. He also did Peter Venkman from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
thecreech wrote:oh yeah i forgot transformers. Shame on me
Didn't the cartoon came first before the comics?
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Either Ninja Turtles or Batman (not the new crapola)

Batman actually felt like a mature series at times.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

If Ninja Turtles were around on the printed medium before the screen, my vote goes to them.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

generator_g1 wrote:Garfield and Friends...Lorenzo Music's voice perfectly matched Garfield's character. He also did Peter Venkman from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
thecreech wrote:oh yeah i forgot transformers. Shame on me
Didn't the cartoon came first before the comics?
Good question. I don't remember
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

thecreech wrote:
Stravo wrote:
What was the deal with the Maxx? Wasn't there some secret to his origins or something, I just vaguely remember the cartoon and liking it but I also seem to remeber that in a Spawnish sort of way he had a dark secret.
There was a real fucked up secret but i wont give spoilers just because most of you haven't seen it.
I liked that show, I had the VHS tape bought directly from them... The animation was neat.

My favorite is the original WB Batman. Not Batman & Robin, not the last Batman with the monochromatic Joker and Dick as Robin. Batman Beyond is nice tho, though not directly based in the comic.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

thecreech wrote:
Drach wrote:While I like X-Men Evolution I hate the trend with cartoons lately. It seems like every character you can think of to be in a cartoon is being turned into a teenager / child. I suppose its supposed to 'identify with the younger crowd', but to me its just annoying
I feel the same way. There was loony toons, then they did tiny toons... ok that was funny. Now they have something like toddler toons? Ok guys you've run it into the ground what next Fetus toons.
Muppet Babies :D
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Now that I recall I think Gargoyles was based on a comic too. That would be the second best after Batman.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Slartibartfast wrote:Now that I recall I think Gargoyles was based on a comic too. That would be the second best after Batman.
Same production team IIRC
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

It shows. That's probably why both shows seem so "adult".
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

To be fair, the new Batman cartoon did have one of my favorite Robin-centric episodes, the one with Clayface returning.

And I utterly loathed X-Men Evolution in the first season, but the second season it's getting a lot better. I still can't help but prefer the Fox version, though.

IIRC, in the Powerpuff episode, Bubbles' new powers were darkness based, so she couldn't fight that monster until nightfall, so she just hung out in the shadows while everyone was getting their butts whipped.

Yeah, I watch Powerpuff Girls. Gotta problem with that? Almost *anything* is better than "I. M. Weasel".
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Kelly Antilles wrote:
thecreech wrote:
Seggybop wrote:Ninja Turtles count?
Were they a comic first?
*blink* You didn't know that? OMG, the new cartoon is so much closer to the original Eastman & Laird idea.

As for me... Batman (WB) would probably be my favorite.
Yea, Shredder's a hard-ass. :D
"I will not fail you again."
"Yes. You won't." :kills: