Precog and Reflexes

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

keflex
Redshirt

Precog and Reflexes

Post by keflex »

Ghost Rider wrote:Yet the Jedi have shown they have the reflexes to adapt to most situations with Pre-cog.
I thought this needed addressing in its own thread.

Fortunately for Jedi, the force enhances their reflexes.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't mean that precog = reflexes.

Having precog equate to reflexes (which many seem to do) is independent of whether a Jedi has good reflexes or not.

You can have good reflexes if you have precog.

You can have precog w/out good reflexes.

Therefore, Precog != Reflexes.

In addition, my post (just in case it wasn't apparent) was not about whether or not Jedis have precog or whether or not Jedis have good reflexes. It was merely a statement that precog and reflexes are not inclusive. You can have the advantage of one w/out the other.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I don't think anyone is going to disagree.

It basically sums into...if you have the reflexes the pre-cog helps.

If not...you see your death two seconds before it happens.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

And you need to be able to quantify precog, how far ahead they can see.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I basically ment the same thing with my post. Although i probably should have clarified it a little. I merely assumed everyone knew what i was talking about (Precog+force enhanced reflexes=one hell of a combatent)
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
ShinjiGohan
Padawan Learner

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Darksider wrote:I basically ment the same thing with my post. Although i probably should have clarified it a little. I merely assumed everyone knew what i was talking about (Precog+force enhanced reflexes=one hell of a combatent)
This is also why Spiderman is a heck of a combatent. Having reflexes 40 times better than a human, coupled with the Spidersense is a good thing.

Now which is better? I think it depends on the situation.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

You need a good amount of reflexes for combat precog to matter, otherwise, you'll be stuck thinking: "okay, he's going to uppercut me, followed by a crescent kick and a leg sweep, and he'll elbow drop me on the ground, then-ow, ow ,ow *thud* ow. Yup I was right"
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Since this entire thread starts with a Jedi precog argument, I will respond thusly; Jedi do not only have pre-cog, they also have extremely fast reflexes when they draw on the Force;
Shadows of the Empire, [i]paperback page 359[/i] wrote:
<Snip, Luke is about to be killed by Xizor's assassin droid Guri, he was destracted and is lying on the floor, Guri moves 'supernaturally' fast>

" He had to trust the Force completely-
Guri slowed, as if she were suddenly mired in thickened time. He saw her hand descending, saw it moving to smash him, but it was so incredibly slow, why, he could easily just roll aside and stand, before she ever reached him...
He did so. He felt as if he were moving at normal speed, though there was a crackling feeling to his motion, a sound like a strong wind whistling about his ears.
He came up, pivoted, thrust his open palm against the descending chop, shoved it aside. He used his left leg, a sweep that caught Guri behind the right ankle. Her feet left the floor, still moving in slow motion, and she fell, floated down, hit flat on her back ...
Time speeded up."
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'