Batgirl movie shelved despite near-completion.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Batgirl movie shelved despite near-completion.

Post by bilateralrope »

Isn't there some other source for credit information that would be good enough for potential employers ?
It's not like HBO have tried to purge anything from Wikipedia or IMDB. Yet.

Everything about this sounds like a terrible business decision. How are parents with children going to justify paying for an HBO subscription over a streaming service that has content for the whole family ?

But, if the idiots get replaced, reversing this decision will require convincing anyone who remembers this to come back. That's going to take some effort.

Also, since I posted this link elsewhere: Batgirl received similar test audience scores as Black Adam. But only one got canceled. So any statements about it being so terrible that it can't be released were clearly a lie.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-08-21 01:59pm Also, since I posted this link elsewhere: Batgirl received similar test audience scores as Black Adam. But only one got canceled. So any statements about it being so terrible that it can't be released were clearly a lie.
One has The Rock.
One has a black woman.

That's one reason I'm sure
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

As somebody has pointed out somewhere on this board, the Rock is TECHNICALLY also not white. But he is a very prominent figure who is by many people regarded to be white.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-21 07:19pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-08-21 01:59pm Also, since I posted this link elsewhere: Batgirl received similar test audience scores as Black Adam. But only one got canceled. So any statements about it being so terrible that it can't be released were clearly a lie.
One has The Rock.
One has a black woman.

That's one reason I'm sure
I'm not sure about the racism. But I could easily see Batgirl being perceived as "female skew", and HBO has no room for scripted "female skew" content according to that slide I posted earlier. So the sexism is obvious.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Saw this on the tvtropes forum: Basement Life Podcast did an episode on the animated side of it. They're an anime geek and not an expert but there is some interesting stuff there in between the ranting.

Apparently the residuals are a fixed fee that go down so long as the show remains on the platform. Starting high and going down to next to nothing over a few years. So if they change their minds and bring it back they have to start from scratch paying top dollar (relatively speaking). They're of the opinion this is all in order to get some very short term profits to keep the share holders happy after the merge and not a long term strategy for viability.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Warner Bros. Discovery Lost $20 Billion in Market Cap Trying to Cut $3 Billion in Costs
The more WBD cuts, the more the stock price goes down
Wren Graves
August 24, 2022 | 8:07am ET

Since completing its April 8th merger, Warner Bros. Discovery has been on a cost-cutting frenzy, with an announced goal of finding $3 billion in savings. The process began when WBD axed CNN+ on April 21st, and since then the company has shelved Batgirl, removed over 200 classic episodes of Sesame Street, and iced dozens of upcoming projects — with a result that WBD has lost a total of $20 billion in market cap and counting.

Importantly, this isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison. WBD is trying to save $3 billion in cash, while market cap is the stock market’s estimate of a company’s total value, found by taking the amount of stock in circulation and multiplying that by the stock’s price. And there are several other factors dragging down the stock, especially WBD’s $55 billion in debt, which has concerned analysts since the merger. But the debt has been stable, and the fact remains that no matter which project WBD puts out to pasture, the stock is only going in one direction: down.

On April 22nd, the day after WBD subtracted CNN+, the company had a market cap of approximately $49.51 billion according to CompaniesMarketCap.com, which uses data from Reuters, NASDAQ, Yahoo Finance, and more. Today, August 22nd, the same company is estimated to be worth $31 billion. If the market’s estimate is accurate — and that’s a big if — WBD is worth about $20 billion less than when they started cutting costs. You can’t even blame market volatility for the plunge; the Dow Jones has barely budged since April, and the S&P 500 is down about 4% on the year, even as WBD has been unable to stop the bleeding. In the eyes of investors, the company has done nothing but hurt its brand for four months running.

Much of the blame will be laid at the feet of CEO David Zaslav, who was paid $246 million ahead of the merger. His plan to combine HBO Max and Discovery+ has been widely derided, and everyone from Kevin Smith to John Oliver has criticized his decision to kill content for tax write-offs. Fortune named him one of the 10 most overpaid CEOs in the Fortune 500, and it’s not hard to understand why. Even if you think he’s a genius, surely any Vice President at WBD could do at least 80% as good of a job for 10% of the cost.

For now, expect the cuts to keep coming. Just today, WBD pulled the plug on an animated Batman series from Matt Reeves and J.J. Abrams. As a spoonful of sugar to help the bleach go down, HBO Max is offering 30% discounts on annual subscriptions.
I don't think the shareholders are happy.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

At this rate Disney may end up buying them 😬

I wonder what’s in it for the CEO, apart from his massive salary? He has the know the hits that WB is taking over this.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Makes sense, it's an entertainment company that has less to offer, why would it's shares go up?

They've also delayed Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2 to next year. The meme is because they've only got enough money to release 2 films, but it also could be about the competition from Wakanada Forever and Avatar 2 stealing all the IMAX screens.

eta: Wait, they killed Caped Crusader entirely? Not just refused to put it on HBO MAX?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tribble wrote: 2022-08-25 10:12am I wonder what’s in it for the CEO, apart from his massive salary? He has the know the hits that WB is taking over this.
Maybe he shorted the stock before tanking the price.

But I'm not willing to assume competence just because he's being paid a shitload of money.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Zaslav is a man who believes in cheap low quality entertainment. He's the guy responsible for Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars after all and is scornful of scripted content. He likes cheap stuff where he doesn't have to pay money.

He's also an out of touch old man who doesn't really get that people LIKE diversity. And also a centrist (hence his desire to make CNN appeal to right wingers even though they want fake news)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Darth Yan wrote: 2022-09-23 01:38am Zaslav is a man who believes in cheap low quality entertainment. He's the guy responsible for Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars after all and is scornful of scripted content.
With those on his resume, I'm surprise he can get a job flipping burgers.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solauren wrote: 2022-09-23 05:43pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2022-09-23 01:38am Zaslav is a man who believes in cheap low quality entertainment. He's the guy responsible for Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars after all and is scornful of scripted content.
With those on his resume, I'm surprise he can get a job flipping burgers.
Why? They were both pretty profitable shows from what I understand.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin