Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Deathstalker wrote: 2018-12-10 08:30pm It's a pretty good bet that Hawkeye becomes Ronin and comes out of retirement because his family was dusted.
Probably, yeah. Poor Hawkeye- he was the only Avenger who had a functional family life, wasn't he?

Edit: Forgot Antman, for a certain definition of "functional". But seriously, how weird is it that Joss fucking Whedon went out of his way to give one of the Avengers a happy marriage and family, and then a different director killed them all off? :lol:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Too good to not share:

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, Infinity War has made it pretty clear that Tony is going to play some key role in the defeat of Thanos. His story isn't going to just be "And then he left a message to Pepper and died in space."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-11 03:25am Yeah, Infinity War has made it pretty clear that Tony is going to play some key role in the defeat of Thanos. His story isn't going to just be "And then he left a message to Pepper and died in space."
There is this new concept called "a joke", it's weird but you might want to look into them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-12-11 03:41am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-11 03:25am Yeah, Infinity War has made it pretty clear that Tony is going to play some key role in the defeat of Thanos. His story isn't going to just be "And then he left a message to Pepper and died in space."
There is this new concept called "a joke", it's weird but you might want to look into them.
I know it's a joke. I'm just agreeing with the underlying point of the sarcasm.

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Valkyrie and half of the Asgardians did survive. Thanos supposedly let them flee before Infinity War began.

But regarding the Gauntlet, it works a little different in the MCU than in the comics. In the comics Thanos could do anything with a thought, and the gauntlet was just something spiffy to keep the gems on. In the MCU, the gauntlet was necessary to control the power of the stones. Giant-Dink stated that was why Thanos came to him originally - the gauntlet was the only thing that could theoretically harness the combined power.

Also Thanos NEEDS to exert will and some sort of physical effort to utilize the stones in the MCU, it isn't just instant abilities. He needs to make a fist and give some kind of mental push to do the things that he does (Except the snap, ironically). The Russo's did that intentionally so that the heroes would have a chance. It's why on Titan they kept going after his hand to keep it from closing, to buy them time to pry it off him.

And Thor could indeed still one-shot Thanos with Stormbreaker. When Thor chucked the axe at him, Thanos blasted the axe with the combined might of all the stones (the white energy instead of colored) and couldn't do dick to stop it. Only Thor's aim saved Thanos.

So we have a wrecked gauntlet after the snap that may not be fully functional when the heroes eventually corner Thanos. Thor with Stormbreaker plus Captain Marvel could alpha strike him (or some other way to remove him) and then try and use the busted gauntlet.

I'm actually starting to suspect the film will go in a JLA vs. Avengers route, where the heroes will start jumping through different times and realities in some madcap battle against forces Thanos summons? Maybe? Who knows.

That Dr. Strange pic is priceless though haha.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-11 01:00pm So we have a wrecked gauntlet after the snap that may not be fully functional when the heroes eventually corner Thanos. Thor with Stormbreaker plus Captain Marvel could alpha strike him (or some other way to remove him) and then try and use the busted gauntlet.
On the other hand, if the gauntlet is ruined it doesn't matter that the heroes are strong enough to beat down Thanos.

Punching him in his ballsack chin doesn't solve the problem any more.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-12-11 05:36pm
NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-11 01:00pm So we have a wrecked gauntlet after the snap that may not be fully functional when the heroes eventually corner Thanos. Thor with Stormbreaker plus Captain Marvel could alpha strike him (or some other way to remove him) and then try and use the busted gauntlet.
On the other hand, if the gauntlet is ruined it doesn't matter that the heroes are strong enough to beat down Thanos.

Sorta depends on whether the Stones are still good. If they are, theoretically they could have Eitri forge a new Gauntlet for Thor or Carol or someone with enough power to wield it. I suspect the Stones are still good because they're kinda... I dunno, the impression I got was that they were like, fundamental-to-the-universe type deals.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-12-11 05:41pm

Sorta depends on whether the Stones are still good. If they are, theoretically they could have Eitri forge a new Gauntlet for Thor or Carol or someone with enough power to wield it. I suspect the Stones are still good because they're kinda... I dunno, the impression I got was that they were like, fundamental-to-the-universe type deals.
Eitri's hands are ruined and all the others are dead.

Thanos was making sure that the gauntlet is a one off, he doesn't want anyone undoing his life's work.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-12-11 05:46pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-12-11 05:41pm

Eitri's hands are ruined and all the others are dead.

Thanos was making sure that the gauntlet is a one off, he doesn't want anyone undoing his life's work.
Well.. Eitri;s hand are ruined.. But they did show that 'prototype' gauntlet and they still have Stark.

So... Stark, under Eitri's guidance, makes a new gauntlet in a Dwarf cave.... surrounded by scrap?
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-12-11 05:36pm On the other hand, if the gauntlet is ruined it doesn't matter that the heroes are strong enough to beat down Thanos.

No, but I'm sure it will make them feel a little better haha
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-14 08:12am
Vendetta wrote: 2018-12-11 05:36pm On the other hand, if the gauntlet is ruined it doesn't matter that the heroes are strong enough to beat down Thanos.

No, but I'm sure it will make them feel a little better haha
Star Lord seemed to enjoy it, given that he fucked over everyone to do so. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-14 08:23am Star Lord seemed to enjoy it, given that he fucked over everyone to do so. :P
Well, Space Andy Dwyer was never the most, ah, circumspect MCU character haha
-Agent Kay
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-14 09:11am
Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-14 08:23am Star Lord seemed to enjoy it, given that he fucked over everyone to do so. :P
Remember how Quill unloaded on Ego when he said he's responsible for killing his mother, so it's not like he hasn't got form for it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually it was Tony who fucked everyone else over when he let go of the glove to pull Star Lord off Thanos for some reason.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Batman wrote: 2018-12-14 05:07pm
Actually it was Tony who fucked everyone else over when he let go of the glove to pull Star Lord off Thanos for some reason.
It was really Nebula's fault for failing to restrain Quill since she was the only other character who wasn't otherwise occupied at the time.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, according to Doctor Strange, they were fucked by fate anyway. But I find that hard to buy. There are at least two different points in the film where they come very close to winning: the aforementioned gauntlet scene, and Thor's final ax throw.

I also still don't know why Doctor Strange couldn't just open a portal where Thanos was standing and slice and dice him.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-12-14 05:18pm
NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-14 09:11am Well, Space Andy Dwyer was never the most, ah, circumspect MCU character haha
It was really Nebula's fault for failing to restrain Quill since she was the only other character who wasn't otherwise occupied at the time.
Why should anybody bother to restrain him in the first place? Who cares if Quill breaks a few knuckles impotently pummeling Thanos as long as they get that damned glove of?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-14 05:20pm I also still don't know why Doctor Strange couldn't just open a portal where Thanos was standing and slice and dice him.
The fate line is supposed to suppress question like that.

Best guess? When Thanos is not restrained he can use the space stone to counter act portal shenanigans. When he was restrained Strange would have had to slice and dice and Ally as well. They were clinging on to all his limbs and head to keep in place after all. You don't seem to be able to create portals around things that I can remember.

We saw Strange move portals in Ragnarok and Wong slice with a closing portal in IW but they were pre made and then moved/closed. Not created around something that was then sliced.

It's kind of a bad excuse there. It would have been better I think not to include Wong's portal slice, then I'd have mentally hand waved it as not possible.

Even worse excuses: Strange didn't like killing in his movie and is not willing to slice and dice. It was totally possible it was just in reality 14,000,046 that it worked out and Strange didn't see it.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

And to be fair, Strange DID try to chuck Thanos into the mirror dimenson when he started to burn his cooldown spells. And Thanos spit it right back at him.
-Agent Kay
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Batman wrote: 2018-12-14 05:26pm
Why should anybody bother to restrain him in the first place? Who cares if Quill breaks a few knuckles impotently pummeling Thanos as long as they get that damned glove of?
Except Quill hitting Thanos was what broke Mantis' hold on him, and because he was also holding his gun he was just as likely to shoot him like he did Ego when the latter revealed he killed his mother. Nebula was the only one not actually doing anything, her inaction was what led Tony to do what he did. So there was no singular individual that's completely to blame.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-12-17 01:49pm
Batman wrote: 2018-12-14 05:26pm
Except Quill hitting Thanos was what broke Mantis' hold on him, and because he was also holding his gun he was just as likely to shoot him like he did Ego when the latter revealed he killed his mother. Nebula was the only one not actually doing anything, her inaction was what led Tony to do what he did. So there was no singular individual that's completely to blame.
Yeah, a low-power repulsor blast to the chest would have given them some breathing room, and not necessitated letting go of the gauntlet. Better to have done it before Quill started getting all punchy, but hindsight is always 20/20.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Strange was also right there, and he let it happen. Which leads me to believe that in at least SOME of the futures he saw, they DID get the Gauntlet off of Thanos, one of them tried to use it, and all kinds of hell broke loose by accident. It was made specifically for Thanos alone, remember.

Because, horrible and stupid that he is, Thanos DID have a goal and the will to toss nigh-omnipotence away upon achieving that specific goal. Someone without that willpower (any of the Guardians), or with terrible self-doubts (Stark), or immaturity (Spider-Man), and no concrete idea of HOW to use the Gauntlet could cause irreparable harm to the universe.
-Agent Kay
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-18 08:25am Strange was also right there, and he let it happen. Which leads me to believe that in at least SOME of the futures he saw, they DID get the Gauntlet off of Thanos, one of them tried to use it, and all kinds of hell broke loose by accident. It was made specifically for Thanos alone, remember.

Because, horrible and stupid that he is, Thanos DID have a goal and the will to toss nigh-omnipotence away upon achieving that specific goal. Someone without that willpower (any of the Guardians), or with terrible self-doubts (Stark), or immaturity (Spider-Man), and no concrete idea of HOW to use the Gauntlet could cause irreparable harm to the universe.
So we're left with Cap who has the willpower but not the ability, and Thor who is the opposite. However the only one whose hand would actually fit the gauntlet is Hulk, and he's either too scared or embarrassed to put in an appearance.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-18 08:25am Strange was also right there, and he let it happen. Which leads me to believe that in at least SOME of the futures he saw, they DID get the Gauntlet off of Thanos, one of them tried to use it, and all kinds of hell broke loose by accident. It was made specifically for Thanos alone, remember.
Alternatively, since Thanos can go toe to toe with the Hulk without the stones, the futures were they get the gauntlet off involves Thanos waking up and murdering someone important to get the gauntlet back before they did anything with it in.

Or of course both in different possible futures.