You're in charge of reforming mad scientists (RAR)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

You're in charge of reforming mad scientists (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-10-17 04:51am

Congratulations, you're in charge of a department within SHIELD, the DEO, or some other fictional comic book government entity. Your main assignment, read case files on caught and defeated mad scientists, lab accidents, etc. Then write recommendation on what to do with this phenomenon.

Standard procedure seems to be putting them into prison and throwing away the key, until they break out again to fight the hero again in a later story. Seeing as how this is expensive for the government in keeping such brilliant people under lock and key, they want an alternate solution on what to do with such people. Especially as mad scientists are becoming a more prominent thing in their world.

What's your recommendation for people such as Dr. Sivana, Otto Octavius, Norman Osborn, Lex Luthor, Dr. Connors, Kirk Langstrom, etc?

What do you do with people whose mad science led them to crime? What do you do in a world where after a certain amount of brilliance, comes madness?

IE, what if the in-universe governments took notice that every scientist in their world was starting to go mad and become some sort of menace to society? What should they be doing?

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Re: You're in charge of reforming mad scientists (RAR)

Post by LaCroix » 2018-10-17 05:17am

For the likes of Octavius, it's easy - put him in a lab with proper funding and supervision. You can even turn a profit with his inventions.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren » 2018-10-17 05:20pm

Mr. Freeze (Batman/DC) - Proper lab and funding, provided he agrees to share all patients, and work on more then just curing his wife.
Right off the bat (pun intended) his ice weapons would be big sellers for fire departments and law enforcement.

Fire? Spray your way in, get the people out, and then freeze it all solid. You probably just saved millions in property damage.
Crime? Well, telling them to freeze just took new meaning, and if you freeze their legs to the ground, they can't run. There is now little reason to shot to kill.

Catwoman (Batman/DC) - Full pardon, but now she works for U.S Intelligence. Her job: Be Catwoman, but you're doing it against foreign governments.
\

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r » 2018-10-19 03:49am

Dr Connors had a psychotic break as the Lizard. Resolve that, possibly with some sort of laser assissted brain bisection and he'd be his old self.

Norman Osborne - again, psychotic break due to combat drugs. More laser!

Lex Luthor - some sort of ego redirection program? Put him into politics or the un?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-10-19 08:29am

madd0ct0r wrote:
2018-10-19 03:49am
Lex Luthor - some sort of ego redirection program? Put him into politics or the un?
Your solution to a egomaniac who desires power at the cost of anyone who gets in his way is to have him run for office? :wtf:

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-10-19 08:34am

madd0ct0r wrote:
2018-10-19 03:49am
Please. Do you know how much power he'd have to give up to be President?
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 » 2018-10-19 11:08am

Didn't he become President at some point?

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-10-19 12:22pm

In the comics I think. I was quoting The JLU cartoon of yesteryear.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus » 2018-10-19 03:00pm

It depends on whether they even want to rejoin society and whether there is a chance in hell of rehabilitation.

You can create some sort of high-budget, high-risk but high-reward program where you reverse-engineer their technology for public use or publish their science. You can work it into a sentence reduction and rehabilitation program. But it heavily depends on whether they even want that.

Remember that most of these guys gone to crime (and especially SUPER-CRIME) for a reason. Some of them for rational reasons, some by circumstance, some compelled by forces beyond their control (especially those who became their own lab accidents), some are simply committed to a destructive cause but some... some just don't care about being a member of society .

Take Scarecrow. He does what he does because he gets shits and giggles out of terrifying people. He is one of those classic villains that do not WANT to be redeemed. He is doing what he wants to do with himself and wouldn't really go back to being a professor, if he even can be. He is one person that you definitely do not want to ever go near lab equipment at all.

The other question really is how you plan on rehabilitating these people. One of the reasons these guys keep doing the scheme-super crime-superhero-jail rigamarole is because more regular means of psychological counseling and therapy are ineffective. Several have medical means far outside understood science or have conditions you don't even understand.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran » 2018-10-19 03:35pm

Imperial528 wrote:
2018-10-19 11:08am
Didn't he become President at some point?
At least once, if not two or three times, in the comics (granted that at least one of those was probably an Elseworlds story). The canon one was sometime in the mid 00s, I'm not sure when he was actually elected but he finally showed his true colours in Superman/Batman when he pulled out the ol' battle-suit and injected himself full of Kryptonite.

It wasn't great. Superman/Batman normally wasn't canon, but they made that storyline canon. Not a great call IMO. Terrible artwork, too.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-10-20 12:50am

Here's one question that I would like addressed, what would the proper course of action be with not just the already caught mad scientists, but the not yet emerged mad scientists?

Because in such comic book worlds, these things happen like clockwork. What could be done with such a segment of the populace? In Marvel, they went with Harrison Bergeron-style Registration, wherein anyone who excelled at athletics or intelligence was drafted into the Initiative or jailed. On the other hand, these people are so abundant that they can create such technological wonders with what seems rather common store-bought or easily obtained by grants items, so as to ignoring them leads to peril for society.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren » 2018-10-20 02:17pm

Do I have access to Neural Upload technology? (i.e stick them in computers)
Because for some, like Mr. Freeze, while funding would work, others, I think putting them into a computer, and then reprogramming them, might be a better approach.
\

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC » 2018-10-25 11:26pm

Elheru Aran wrote:
2018-10-19 03:35pm
At least once, if not two or three times, in the comics (granted that at least one of those was probably an Elseworlds story). The canon one was sometime in the mid 00s, I'm not sure when he was actually elected but he finally showed his true colours in Superman/Batman when he pulled out the ol' battle-suit and injected himself full of Kryptonite.

It wasn't great. Superman/Batman normally wasn't canon, but they made that storyline canon. Not a great call IMO. Terrible artwork, too.
LEX 2000 was always canon - it showed up in the main superman stories of 2000-2001 (Action 773 was one of them).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-10-26 01:25am

Solauren wrote:
2018-10-20 02:17pm
Because for some, like Mr. Freeze, while funding would work, others, I think putting them into a computer, and then reprogramming them, might be a better approach.
Is that technology that's in Marvel and DC? If it is, and the US government of that world can get a hold of it, it's possible.

If they can't, no can do. You'll have to pursue another option.

Though, that's a rather evil option, isn't it? Would you consider the equivalent of lobotomizing people a valid tactic on those who are brilliant but destructive?

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari » 2018-10-26 04:15am

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-10-26 01:25am
Solauren wrote:
Is that technology that's in Marvel and DC? If it is, and the US government of that world can get a hold of it, it's possible.

If they can't, no can do. You'll have to pursue another option.

Though, that's a rather evil option, isn't it? Would you consider the equivalent of lobotomizing people a valid tactic on those who are brilliant but destructive?
In the MCU Arnim Zola was uploaded into a computer in the 70s. (Winter Soldier)

So at least there they have it.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus » 2018-10-26 08:13am

Solauren wrote:
There are three problems with this option.
  1. The technology might not be available despite it existing, most likely because it is "mad science" territory where you need a genius just to work the thing. This is assuming the equipment isn't wrecked by a superhero, doesn't have hidden security features that bite you in the ass or doesn't do something like summon demons from another world. "Or something" is a legitimate worry here and remember, the builder probably won't cooperate.
  2. You assume that you can safely "reprogram" neural uploads. Or that doing so would be the easiest method.
  3. There is the problem of how would the law interpret you "uploading" the villains. Remember, you can't just kill them or do the equivalent of killing them. Otherwise, they wouldn't be bothering to put ridiculously-dangerous super-villains in jail they keep escaping from. Making virtual copies is not what the public wants. What they want is to render the supervillains safe for society while preserving as much of their abilities as possible. Containment is your first priority here.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.