What are your favorite fan theories (possible spoilers)?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are your favorite fan theories (possible spoilers)?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-08-27 01:08pm

Solauren wrote:
2018-08-26 08:12am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-08-25 08:12pm
Solauren wrote:
2018-08-05 11:51am
With Padme....

I'm of mind that Anakin was subconciously using the Force to keep her from dying (thereby having discovered the power he wanted without realizing it).
That weakened him to the point he couldn't clear Obi-wan when he jumped.

When he was on the operating table, Anakin cut the link due to the pain he was in, and then Padme died.

He go the power he wanted by joining the Dark Side, but ultimately sacrificed it, and her, for his own survival.
Just gone back over this thread and realized that this doesn't really work. IIRC, didn't the med droids say that she was not seriously injured, as far as they could tell? So there would be no reason for her to die when the link was severed, unless the droids screwed up their diagnosis anyway.
Okay, what if he reversed the link then? His powers were healing her of the damage she'd taken from the Force Choke (which we've seen kill), fully by the time he was about to jump, but that drained him so he didn't make then jump.

Annd then when his life was in danger (arguably far greater danger), it reversed and drained her?
Yeah, I've seen that one before. I suppose the feasibility of it depends on weather one can use the Force at that level subconsciously (unless you are suggesting that Anakin deliberately drained Padme's life to save himself).
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 » 2018-09-10 03:10pm

Here's a Star Trek one: The discovery of Gangster Planet and it's eventual inclusion into the Federation lead to an interest in 1930s pop culture, hence Picard's liking of Dixon Hill (written in the 30s and 40s), and Tom Paris's Captain Photon (written currently, but in the style of 1930s pulp SF serials).

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-09-13 09:48pm

Q99 wrote:
2018-09-10 03:10pm
Here's a Star Trek one: The discovery of Gangster Planet and it's eventual inclusion into the Federation lead to an interest in 1930s pop culture, hence Picard's liking of Dixon Hill (written in the 30s and 40s), and Tom Paris's Captain Photon (written currently, but in the style of 1930s pulp SF serials).
I like that one. :)

Here's another Trek one:

Kes's psychic powers eventually allowed her to transcend the limitations of the Ocampan life span.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 » 2018-09-14 01:05pm

2018-09-13 09:48pm

Here's another Trek one:

Kes's psychic powers eventually allowed her to transcend the limitations of the Ocampan life span.
Honestly psychic-Ocampa living longer is about the only way they make sense as a species. Because as we know them, they live for 7 years, have one reproductive cycle in that period, and have single births.

Tribble
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribble » 2018-09-14 04:25pm

Q99 wrote:
2018-09-14 01:05pm

Here's another Trek one:

Honestly psychic-Ocampa living longer is about the only way they make sense as a species. Because as we know them, they live for 7 years, have one reproductive cycle in that period, and have single births.
And the baby is born on their back head-down IIRC.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Q was just screwing around just to throw off evolutionary biologists.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-09-14 05:41pm

I read an interesting tumblr post that compared Rey's training moves with Kylo's actual fight moves and theorised she'd gain some of his skills trough their mind link and that was part of the reason Luke was freaked out by her because recognised Ben's moves.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-09-14 09:21pm

Tribble wrote:
2018-09-14 04:25pm
Q99 wrote:
2018-09-14 01:05pm

Here's another Trek one:

And the baby is born on their back head-down IIRC.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Q was just screwing around just to throw off evolutionary biologists.
9 years, but yeah.

I'd say Ocampan biology is evidence that God in the Trek-verse is a complete dick. Which since Trek God is basically Q... yeah. :D
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-09-14 05:41pm
I read an interesting tumblr post that compared Rey's training moves with Kylo's actual fight moves and theorised she'd gain some of his skills trough their mind link and that was part of the reason Luke was freaked out by her because recognised Ben's moves.
I thought that was actual (EU) canon? At least her gaining knowledge through the mind link from Kylo.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 » 2018-09-16 08:46pm

I definitely feel she picked up her mind-trick skill from the first-hand experience of it being used directly on her. And the form she used in training on the rock was quite similar to the attack sequence Kylo used on Luke.

It is, iirc, old EU canon that Luke learned his saber skills by mimicing Vader to an extent.

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari » 2018-09-17 06:10am

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-09-14 05:41pm
That's been partly canonized by the novelization of The Force Awakens... at least to explain her sudden proficiencey in using the force in the movie.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"

Tribble
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribble » 2018-09-17 04:36pm

I... actually dont have much of a problem with Rey's first fight with Kylo. He was emotionally broken after killing Solo, had been shot by Chewie and was bleeding out, and had just fought Fynn... so it's not like he was anything near his peak. Not only that, it was clear he was reluctant to kill Rey as he saw her as a potential apprentice while she was determined to kill him. And it was implied that Rey at least flirted with the Dark Side during the fight and only pulled back at the last minute.

Still, I lived how Snoke called him out on it later.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-09-18 10:40pm

Yeah, Kylo in that fight is completely crippled, both physically and (probably more damaging to a Force user) psychologically.

Edit: probably the only really good evidence we have of his ability when he's at his best is the TLJ throne room fight, where he is not injured and was mentally together enough to outmaneuver Snoke.

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man » 2018-09-20 10:12am

Here's one for the Babylon 5 fans out there, that actually makes Season 5 a little more interesting to watch:

Byron was the leader of a Branch Davidian-esque telepath cult. Everyone in the group wears conservative, largely mono-chromatic clothing. Almost everyone has long hair (certain religious groups forbid hair cutting). Almost none of them outside of Byron talk (except the ones with speech impediments and the ones who "break away" from him, but more on that in a sec). He uses classic cult recruitment tactics in his early interactions with Lyta, isolating her from the other people on the station.

He recognized that Lyta was powerful, but at the beginning was only interested in recruiting her as a particularly powerful trophy for his harem. And yeah, I'm saying he definitely had a harem going with how they all acted around each other. Charismatic cult leaders almost always have harems, as well. However, when he finally succeeded and had sex with Lyta, the connection made him realize the extent of her power and learn the truth about Vorlon genetic engineering, and so he decided to radicalize her and turn her into a weapon against the Psi Corps.

When using that information about the Vorlons to advocate for a homeworld, he immediately resorts to a strategy designed to turn opinion against them, forcing them to either hole up in Down Below or scatter throughout the station and starting fighting. As such, my theory is that the ones who "break away" from Byron and scatter did so with Byron's blessing, since causing unrest on the station would result in Babylon 5 turning to Bester for help, which would result in the further raising of tensions.

Then, after the hostage crisis in Medbay, Byron negotiates the release of the peaceful protestors and the "surrender" of the violent ones to station security, knowing full well that Bester would interfere, provoke a conflict, and allow the group to martyr themselves. Evidence of this: all of the telepaths who were supposedly peacefully surrendering to security showed up armed. He passes the reins of the cult off to Lyta, martyrs himself and the rest of the followers who fought by blowing them all up, and sets up Lyta to radicalize the peaceful protestors who were allowed to leave the station, turning them into the base for an army she will build in an attempt to violently overthrow the Psi Corps.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-09-20 02:22pm

It was a shame the Telepath's War was cut short. So much more could have been done with Byron and his escapees.

I always wondered if Byron might have been one of the last of the Shadow-touched. Someone promised his widest dream....
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet