Game of Thrones Season 6 [Discussion of most-recently aired episodes]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6 [Discussion of most-recently aired episodes]

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Expanding of Simon's points:

2) Littlefinger is also making quite a lot of enemies, so don't be surprised if his entire house of cards come tumbling down. The asshole keeps on the move, never staying too close to his machinations.

4) Some form of higher power(s) is becoming increasingly active in the setting, so it's not entirely impossible that Sandor has some destiny in store for him. Then again, maybe he managed to survive truly grievous injuries. Real life has examples of people managing to not snuff it from truly insane shit. Now, the level of recovery is definitely beyond believable without some sort of magical intervention.

5) In addition to what's been mentioned, her ace in the hole was just rendered worthless by a change to the rules of the game. She was fully reliant on trial by combat to get out of this pickle, and now that's not an option. Best case scenario, she gets exiled to Casterly Rock.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So, I'm more into the books than the show. If they're ditching the trial by combat can someone remind me what actual evidence they have against Cersei for the really serious stuff that wasn't covered by her walk of atonement confession? i.e., incest, adultery, regicide. I forget how much Lancel knows in the show, and even for what he does know it's not a given that one accuser would be enough to convict her. The High Sparrow and by extension his people does seem to have at least some standards, after all.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote:I hope Varys made it past the enemy fleet.
Given how imprecise the passage of time is (days/weeks) in between scenes its likely that Varys was well away from the city before the slaver fleet arrived. They might not have any reason to stop a random ship anyway.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Any death predictions for the upcoming battle of bastards?

Mine:
Wun wun, fan favorite but a huge target and doesn't move plot forward by himself
Ramsay Snow, he will lose due to deus ex machina
Rockon Stark, no reason to be kept alive by ramsay
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I like "Ramsay, killed by his own dogs after Bran wargs them."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I'd go for that or "Ramsay believes Snow's army is bigger than it really is, attempts spec-ops bullshit, gets stepped on by a giant/mauled by a direwolf/eaten by Thenns."
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'm guessing Jon Snow will kill Ramsay with his sword after catching him distracted somehow, then make some hilariously brooding quip about it.

Oh, but Ramsay will taunt him about having raped Sansa first. Just in case anyone forgot.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Ramsay is going down to Ghost. He'll be fleeing from battle after the Vale forces hit his battle lines and the Bolton army crumbles, running off in to the woods. Then he'll stop for a breath, we'll see Ghost about to pounce, Ramsay will get a look at him just before it happens, and then Ghost jumps on him and kills him off-screen.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Ramsay is going down to Ghost. He'll be fleeing from battle after the Vale forces hit his battle lines and the Bolton army crumbles, running off in to the woods. Then he'll stop for a breath, we'll see Ghost about to pounce, Ramsay will get a look at him just before it happens, and then Ghost jumps on him and kills him off-screen.
I think that this may be the most likely outcome... What is up with thw the show and their fetish for off screen deaths?

I am beginning to have my doubts regarding ramsay death. I am wondering how they will drag the show for another two seasons Roth the white walkers being the only main protagonist. Perhaps they can bring new ones.

I don't see Dany becoming the villain so that can't be it. if the show has demonstrated anything this season, it's that the plot is more straight forward than that.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

ArmorPierce wrote:Any death predictions for the upcoming battle of bastards?

Mine:
Wun wun, fan favorite but a huge target and doesn't move plot forward by himself
That seems about right. With Rickon dead and Jon a bastard, even if the good guys prevail, there's nothing to prevent the Pimp from showing up late (as he told Cersei he wanted to), crushing whoever is left and claiming the North as his own property, along with Harrenhall and the Aerie. And being a skeevy prick, marrying Sansa for good measure. Oh, and having a royal decree from King Tommen making it all nice and legal.

I'm pretty sure Tormund is also a goner, as is Edd and the rest of the Night's Watch, who will be easy prey for the wights who probably have them outnumbered 100,000 to 1 by now.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the horn Sam found along with the obsidian blades? Is there anything special about it?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Not sure if this is book only implication that they dropped from the show, but as for the horn...
Spoiler
No way in hell that's not the Horn of Joramund that Mance Rayder was looking for. The one that knocks down the Wall when blown.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Ralin wrote:Not sure if this is book only implication that they dropped from the show, but as for the horn...
Spoiler
No way in hell that's not the Horn of Joramund that Mance Rayder was looking for. The one that knocks down the Wall when blown.
Spoiler
Absolutely, and it's gonna be blown at the end of TWOW when Euron Crow's Eye raids Oldtown.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Elfdart wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:Any death predictions for the upcoming battle of bastards?

Mine:
That seems about right. With Rickon dead and Jon a bastard, even if the good guys prevail, there's nothing to prevent the Pimp from showing up late (as he told Cersei he wanted to), crushing whoever is left and claiming the North as his own property, along with Harrenhall and the Aerie. And being a skeevy prick, marrying Sansa for good measure. Oh, and having a royal decree from King Tommen making it all nice and legal.

I'm pretty sure Tormund is also a goner, as is Edd and the rest of the Night's Watch, who will be easy prey for the wights who probably have them outnumbered 100,000 to 1 by now.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the horn Sam found along with the obsidian blades? Is there anything special about it?
I like that explanation, little finger would fill that power vacuum left by Ramsay.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Ralin wrote:Not sure if this is book only implication that they dropped from the show, but as for the horn...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Absolutely, and it's gonna be blown at the end of TWOW when Euron Crow's Eye raids Oldtown.
I don't recall, was the horn with the dragon glass that Jon brought up north of the wall and lost?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Guys, I have no idea what you put in those spoiler boxes, but in the book...
Spoiler
Pretty sure Sam brought the Horn south with him to Hightower.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Well well, I think that the result of the battle supports my thoughts regarding Jon attacking Ramsay and winterfel. They were getting absolutely wrecked until dues ex machine arrived on the scene. Had he waited a few minutes before blindly charging a wall of cavalry by himself, many lives would have been saved.... It appears that nobody uses scouts in this universe.

Why did wun wun not have a weapon? When he was fleeing the north he had a tree trunk and was taking out dozens of wights.

What happened to the kalstark guy btw?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

A: Just a reminder: If there's multiple spoiler-tagged passages in a single post [including quotes], all past the first won't work.

B: And on the subject of Ramsay "Gordon Ramsay" Snow, sometimes called Bolton; congratulations to the writers on the execution of the... well, of the execution. I especially liked the part where he died in agony.

C: And moreover: It's a damn good thing Sansa did what she ought to have as of several episodes ago. Otherwise we'd have Gods-alone-know-how-many Ramsay-heavy episodes still to go.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

RIP Ramsey Bolton, poisoned by his enemies.

8)
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

An astonishing, spectacular, and heartbreaking episode. Ho lee shiet.

Amongst all the sound and fury in my brain right now, I must draw my appreciation to one thing - the silent, funereal return of the Stark banners in Winterfell. No triumphant chorus, no cheering. Just a victory that borders on hollow. Good fucking job, show.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Third most satisfying way Ramsey could go. First, unceremonious assassination in which there is no glory. Second, castrated by Ghost. Third, becoming Purina Bolton.

Eaten by own dogs was among the more popular theories as to how the rat bastard would die. Though realistically he should have died from the beating Jon gave him.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Excellent stuff, and about bloody time.

1. It was totally worth all the time-killing Tyrion scenes this season to get that brief battle in Mereen and the dragons setting ships aflame. Great stuff, with my only real regrets about it being that the Iron-born apparently showed up too late to help and Yara's continued character weirdness. Whatever, Daenerys has her ships, her army, her dragons, and god willing she's finally heading west.

2. Loved the battle scene at Winterfell, even if it was pretty obvious that the Riders of Rohan forces of the Vale and Riverrun were going to show up to save the day. Great stuff. Kind of a bummer that Jon Snow screwed the pooch on his military command so thoroughly - it undermines his military prowess and the way they've set up his competency as commander in the past - but it was all worth to see such a grimy, brutal, close-up battle. Maybe that was the point. He didn't listen to Sansa, and would have lost - but then Sansa was responsible for winning the day by getting allies coming north.

3. I was initially hoping that Ghost would get the honors of ripping Ramsay apart (symbolism!), but I think that was much better. Sansa got the kill, and her revenge, and Ramsay died from a fatal dose of irony.

All in all, a very good penultimate episode. All that's left is for Daenerys to head west, the King's Landing stuff to play out, and (maybe) hints that the Freys are going to get murdered en masse in Riverrun judging by the trailer. While I've been super-wrong on predictions, it seems like the Wall might not fall this season even if the season finale is called "Winds of Winter". Maybe the last shot will be Edd on the Wall, seeing the Walkers and their army approach.
Last edited by Guardsman Bass on 2016-06-20 01:30am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

FeniX: So, "Episode's named 'Battle of the Bastards.' Snow ain't got enough doods, you thinking he dies or Deus Ex Machina for the win?"
Wife: "Deus What?"
FeniX: "Seriously? Like 'Act of God.' Think of DS9, when the minefield falls, but the Prophets bail out Sisko. It's a thing, how have I never ranted at you about this?"
Wife: "I think The Pimp shows up."
FeniX: "I'm betting on Bullshit Ex Machina and The Pimp satisfies that criteria."
minutes later, Vale soldiers show up.
FeniX: "Jon Snow: aw man, too bad you guys didn't show up like 15 minutes earlier."
Wife: "The writers must have held them up and killed all their ravens."
FeniX: "I fucking love you."

Rickon running away from Dipshit. All I could think was "Rickon Stark obviously went to the Prometheus school of running away from things." All tragedy from the scene lost for me. Was laughing too hard. In my defense, Rickon surviving was NOT going to happen.

"Yo man, we gotz shipz and infinite ammo h4x. All Begger Queen gotz is an army and fucking dragons. We got this."
Seconds later
"Aw man, dragons can do what we know dragons can do? This was totally unexpected."

Points to the writers. They got me good. "Why the Hell aren't the dragons just strafing multiple ships? It's like they are just showing off."
Tyrion: "We thank you for the ships."
Me: "You cheeky fuckers."

What the fuck were people doing outside the gates during a siege and why were fetuses of the herpes killing them? Obviously to remind us Dothraki are a thing and hang out with the Queen of Wyverns now. Talk about pulling it into the driveway. "Great honor. We kill many Eyes Wide Shut extras today."

I have to give GoT soldiers credits. Fucking dragons and giants show up and they don't cut and run like sissies: got me beat. I'd be huddled in the corner crying. Also, kudos to the shield line holding while cavalry fuck their shit up. No one turn around or anything, just take that shit on the chin (or back, whatever). Two more cheers to the guys on the other side not reacting in any way while their guys get railed.

Great episode BTW. I can really only nitpick it because that's just my style.

NOTE: In my defense, it's my first father's day and I get to go into work late tomorrow, so I've had a few drinks. Thank you and good night.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Nah, it's all good. Especially the Rickon scene - come on, no way he's making it out of this alive (they'd have to keep paying his actor). You knew he was going to get killed by an arrow at the last second.

Also, Winterfell really sucks as a defensive castle in the show. There's no moat and drawbridge? Ah well, it was cool to see Wun-Wun punch through the gates.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

In fairness, Winterfell is far enough north that digging a moat would be even more challenging that it is elsewhere. You wouldn't have to dig very far to hit frozen ground, so it rapidly becomes a question of if Winterfell needs serious defenses against invading armies often enough to be worth the tremendous amount of labor it would take to excavate all that dirt and ice then fill it with water. Which would likely freeze over during chillier months, drastically reducing the effectiveness.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

ArmorPierce wrote:Well well, I think that the result of the battle supports my thoughts regarding Jon attacking Ramsay and winterfel. They were getting absolutely wrecked until dues ex machine arrived on the scene. Had he waited a few minutes before blindly charging a wall of cavalry by himself, many lives would have been saved.... It appears that nobody uses scouts in this universe.
They also don't use helmets or shields. Face it, in the words of Dark Helmet "Good is dumb!"

Case in point:

Aside from being able to get the Wildlings to fight, Jon Snow is a useless fucking retard. He leads his men into an obvious trap and gets them massacred. Nice going, Numbnuts. Speaking of Starks going Full Retard, why did Rickon run in a straight line? Oh I know, because if he had tried zig-zagging there was no way Gordon Ramsay Snow could hit him and like all other males in the Stark family, Rickon was a moron.
Why did wun wun not have a weapon? When he was fleeing the north he had a tree trunk and was taking out dozens of wights.
I'm convinced GRS had a spell kinda like the 8th level Confusion spell, only instead of creating a zone of confusion, it creates a zone of stupidity, where people turn into witless fumbledicks once they get within X number of yards of him. This magic is potent against giants as well as humans.

What happened to the kalstark guy btw?

I'm assuming he's buried in the human pileup, along with Umber. By the way, I hear there are job openings among the lords in the North...

Maybe this one can have all three: