Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

Post by Pelranius »

Honestly, would it have hurt them to just whack Balon Greyjoy in Season 4? At least that way the whole kingsblood magic doesn't look so half arsed.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Mr Bean wrote:
TheHammer wrote:
As I mentioned above, Its unclear if the leeches did anything at all - Tywin and Littlefinger did the work to kill Rob and Joffrey. My guess is Melisandre foresaw their deaths and used the leeches as a trick to try and convince Ser Davos et al of the viability of her claim.
Speaking of leeches

The usurper Joffrey Baratheon , the usurper Balon Greyjoy, the usurper Robb Stark
Who sir?
What do you mean who?
That middle fellow who was he?
You know I've quite forgotten

No seriously fuck this episode. Stannis was the one who all but threw away his claim even if he had hopes of sitting the Iron Throne he would get his throne by stopping the coming Long Night.

Instead Ramsey use his psychonetic powers to sneak into camp and set all the food, horses and siege engines on fire. Via we can only assume Bolton magic because Ramsey must be a goddamn Wizard.
Ramsay might not have those powers, but we all know someone who does and who would stand to benefit by that attack making Stannis desperate enough he'd sacrifice his only daughter...

Clip NSFW (nudity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1r03wst_8

But at 1:50 she reveals that a "pinch of this powder will send a flaming column screaming towards the sky". And I don't think anyone would be surprised that she could pull something like this off...

As for the episode itself, Davos mentions that the "band of twenty men maybe less, in and out before anyone spotted them". How is he concluding it was 20 men if no one spotted them? If he is just speculating based on the fact that no one spotted them and the amount of damage done, then that number might have no factual basis whatsoever. Stannis is likewise incredulous that this could happen without a single guard raising the alarm.

Further, not once do we see even a shadow of a Northern soldier. No Ramsay face time, which is what I would expect if they filmed the raid even if its just him and his men disappearing into the night. There were plenty of men up and walking around the camp, its not as though it were deserted. But what we do have is a scene where Melisandre walks out of the tent and looks directly at the first tent to go up flames - Before the flames erupt. Did she see it in the flames? Or did she set the whole thing up and come outside to witness her plan coming to fruition.

It could be that Ramsay and his Northern ninjas are experts in pyromancy, but I'm just saying don't be shocked if it turns out that Ramsay is as surprised by this as anyone else at this turn of events. Having Ramsay mention the 20 men, then Davos state that's how many performed the attack might be exactly the double fake we've come to expect.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Is it too much to hope that they follow the story of Iphigenia to its every detail?
She even carried a little wooden deer with her.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

RogueIce wrote:Meh, she's a tough cookie. I bet she can beat it. And maybe it's just touching the infected parts, not just any part of your body. Who knows?
Assuming Ser FriendZone's devotion to Her Majesty hasn't become a weird love/hate thing, he isn't going to willingly infect her with a horrible disease. It likely is the case that you have to touch an infected area directly in order for it to transfer to you. That's probably why Jorah told Tyrion not to let the Stone Men touch him because their entire surface area is contagious (Pappy Nurgle would be proud I'm sure...)
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

TheHammer wrote:
Why does that bother you?
Its just lazy writing. They wanted the visual and they didn't care if it didn't make sense.
I wonder if its an obvious act of magic, or something more ambiguous where you wonder if it was magic or if it was always going to happen. Case in point, the shadow assassin was pretty clearly magic, however the killings of Rob Stark and Joffrey Baratheon would seem to be the work of good old fashioned intrigue by Tywin Lannister/Roose Bolton, and Littlefinger/Tyrells respectively.
I think its bullshit and its just a coincidence, myself.

EDIT: they've actually telegraphed this waaaaaaaay back in Episode 10 of Season 2.
"This war has just begun. It will last for years. Thousands will die at your command. You will betray the men serving you. You will betray your family. You will betray everything you once held dear. And it will all be worth it. Because you are the son of fire, you are the warrior of light. You will sweep aside this pretender and that one. You will be King."

"You promise these things but .. you don't know. None of us know."

"Let me show you."

*vision in the flames*
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Sinewmire wrote:
Is it too much to hope that they follow the story of Iphigenia to its every detail?
She even carried a little wooden deer with her.
Indeed. I wish they'd elaborate more on the requirements for fire magic in the show (we got pieces and bits in the books, IIRC).
Vympel wrote:
"This war has just begun. It will last for years. Thousands will die at your command. You will betray the men serving you. You will betray your family. You will betray everything you once held dear. And it will all be worth it. Because you are the son of fire, you are the warrior of light. You will sweep aside this pretender and that one. You will be King."

"You promise these things but .. you don't know. None of us know."

"Let me show you."

*vision in the flames*
Does that mean he'll forsake the Lord of Light and the Red Witch eventually?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stannis: All I got to say

Let us hope both he and the Boltons meet a meteorite.

As for the episode, a few notes:
- Can you be anymore obvious when copying the Roman coliseum? Though the sun sails were disappointing.
- So Everybody gets to be a big damn Hero (TM) except for the trophy husband. I guess this stops any speculation if he was the Harpy or not
- Daenerys flying away makes no sense, wtf? Just leave your city in chaos and your supporters stranded in the arena (granted, Harpy thread is gone, so...)
- Tyrion is probably thinking "Oh great, another absentee ruler I got to cover for". Tyrion for king.
- Hey, we got something that looked like another rapier...and which was promptly used like a bad sabre. GREAT.
- Fighting sucked. Too much spinning and whirling.
- Jorah's armor saves again.
- Unsullied suck. Give me legionnaires or real mercenaries over them any day.

This video reviewis also pretty good.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well in fairness to Hizhadr (sp), he was trying to show Dany a way to get out of the fighting pits when he got skewered by the Sons.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:Stannis: All I got to say

Let us hope both he and the Boltons meet a meteorite.
Stannis, Bolton, Littlefinger -if only they could kill each other and Queen Sansa dance on their graves!

As for the episode, a few notes:
- Can you be anymore obvious when copying the Roman coliseum? Though the sun sails were disappointing.
The camera positioning was almost identical to Attack of the Clones.
- So Everybody gets to be a big damn Hero (TM) except for the trophy husband. I guess this stops any speculation if he was the Harpy or not
I never thought he was. I just couldn't believe a guy who looks like a young Lionel Richie could possibly be a murderer.
- Daenerys flying away makes no sense, wtf? Just leave your city in chaos and your supporters stranded in the arena (granted, Harpy thread is gone, so...)
- Tyrion is probably thinking "Oh great, another absentee ruler I got to cover for". Tyrion for king.
I assumed she was running to summon help. She has more troops, right?

- Jorah's armor saves again.
Speaking of armor, why don't the main characters wear helmets? OK, I get that Jon's carefully gelled curls are a big deal (the actor isn't allowed to cut them), but surely he and the others standing out in the middle of the snow could at least wear hoods, coifs or hats.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

I am trying to figure out the theme of all six fighters in the last arena fight before the angry Harpies swooped in. Obviously besides Jorah the Knight and the Champion, one of the others clearly looked like a Dothraki, and the rapier-ish fighter with the useless flashy movies I'm guessing is a 'Waterdancer' from Bravos, but the other two I can't place.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Balrog wrote:I am trying to figure out the theme of all six fighters in the last arena fight before the angry Harpies swooped in. Obviously besides Jorah the Knight and the Champion, one of the others clearly looked like a Dothraki, and the rapier-ish fighter with the useless flashy movies I'm guessing is a 'Waterdancer' from Bravos, but the other two I can't place.
Westorsi Knight, Dothraki Screamer, Water Dancer, Norvosi Axeman (Not mentioned in the show), a Mereenese Champion and the unknown sixth. Best guess is Mr Blondie was a standard Pit Fighter thrown in since he's unarmed only has a shield and weapon. No armor means easier blood which makes sense in a pit fighter. No were else is any group mentioned fighting naked but for sword and shield.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

So... are we to assume the Harpy's who were perfectly happy attacking the queen, her retainers, and the frigging dragon when it was there all up and fucked off the moment said dragon left? Because the episode 10 preview clearly shows Tyrion, Jorah and Dario unscathed.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The final shot of Tyrion & Co in the arena after Dany had left made it seem like the Sons of the Harpy had scarpered off.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Venator wrote:So... are we to assume the Harpy's who were perfectly happy attacking the queen, her retainers, and the frigging dragon when it was there all up and fucked off the moment said dragon left? Because the episode 10 preview clearly shows Tyrion, Jorah and Dario unscathed.
They had taken significant losses and their primary target was fleeing atop a dragon. A force of unsullied and second sons would almost certainly be on its way. Once the element of surprise was lost, and their primary target had escaped, it would make sense for them to "up and fuck off" at that point.
The thinking was likely that she flies away it removes the incentive for the Harpies to continue the attack. I don't get the gist that she was leaving the city, simply magic a tactical retreat, likely to the top of her pyramid.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

It was her motherly instinct, trying to get Drogon out there to prevent futher harm being done to him.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Fair enough - missed the shot(s) of the Harpys retreating on first viewing.

Though, as for where Dani is retreating, the same Ep10 preview shows that shows them safe shows them alone in the throne room looking a tad lost. We will see.

Also, the whiplash on popular websites ("Stannis, you the real MVP" memes went rampant after his speech to his daughter a few episodes ago) has been... significant.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Despite being a cross between the KKK/ISIS and imbued with Ramsay Snow levels of absurdly unbelievable adaptation martial competence, it was amusing to see the Sons of the Harpy take the time to surround Dany and friends in that face off, instead of immediately throwing spears at them.

Sons also seemed to have killed a lot of the Mereenese masters.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I don't know why everyone is going 'how did Ramsey do that'.

It's simple

Find a sleeping guard or two (or more), and kill them, or just slip by.

20 men scout the camp quickly, possibly under the armor/uniform of dead guards. Oh look, here's the best places to hit.

Use whatever they brought or is in the camp to get fires ready. Preferably with a quick igniter ready (i.e oil, often used in sieges)

Wait until Ramsey starts the first fire.

Start the other 19+

Run like hell.

Basic Covert Op stuff.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

But don't you see? It's Stannis the Mannis, he can't have his forces lose to fire due to a dirty trick, even though that happened in season 2. It just can't. Especially not when your army is composed of paid mercenaries, pirates, and what's left of your bannermen, who have never been anywhere near snow before.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I took Denerys flying away as basically realizing this: The Harpies wanted to kill HER - if she's gone, they have no reason to push on with their attack.

As for Stannis - I have no sympathy for him anymore.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I don't understand the hate for Stannis at all. Given that Davos said they didn't have enough food to get back to Castle Black, and Stannis is under the impression that he is subject to a prophecy saying that he is the only person who can save the world from the White Walkers, from his point of view he can either burn his daughter for favor from the Lord of Light and defeat the Boltons, or freeze to death alongside his daughter and army, dooming the world. I mean, in his own words from earlier in the series:
I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty … If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark … Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.
It would be an uncharacteristic act for him to not sacrifice anything to save the world.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Being a sincere fanatic child-burning asshole does not gives you bonus points with regards to being a fanatic child-burning asshole.
------------
------------
My LPs
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Also, if he didn't seek or want the crown, he didn't need to make a shadow baby to kill his brother. He's killed his brother in law, his brother, and his daughter, all in the name of his faith or his ascent to power, so I think we can rule him out as having power thrust upon him and doing the best he can.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Come on guys ....

[img]++http://i.imgur.com/uHWvqCs.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Thanas on 2015-06-11 06:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Might want to resize oversized pictures to no more than 900 or 1000 pixels
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'