Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion (book spoilers included)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

streetad
Padawan Learner

Re: Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion (book spoilers inclu

Post by streetad »

I think they did a decent job with Thorne in this episode - he clearly hates Jon and would like nothing better than to string him up but is also kind of willing to believe him about the wildlings. The actor played his obvious disdain for his new embarrassing know-nothing toady quite well.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I loved it how when Jon mentions giants and Janos Slynt scoffs and looks to Thorne for support - and Thorne is just stony faced, looking right ahead.

EDIT: and Game of Thrones was just renewed. Not for one season, as usual. But two. Season 5 and 6 are a go.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Vympel wrote:I loved it how when Jon mentions giants and Janos Slynt scoffs and looks to Thorne for support - and Thorne is just stony faced, looking right ahead.

EDIT: and Game of Thrones was just renewed. Not for one season, as usual. But two. Season 5 and 6 are a go.
I love how they do this.

Oh wait everyone still loves the show?
Another season please! No make that TWO Seasons!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I love how we get periodic announcements as if they were ever going to cancel it. I suppose they're saying:"We're not going to Rome it.Honest!"
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

They radio said that they are ordering 2 new seasons...

Wiki agrees...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Vympel wrote: EDIT: and Game of Thrones was just renewed. Not for one season, as usual. But two. Season 5 and 6 are a go.
Now if only Martin would finish a book for them to base 6 on.......
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I find this season's Daario to be a little more tolerable.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they changed actors in 5 and 6 (like with the Mountain).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Darksider wrote:
Vympel wrote: EDIT: and Game of Thrones was just renewed. Not for one season, as usual. But two. Season 5 and 6 are a go.
According to the source quoted earlier, it is expected that there will be only 7 or 8 seasons total. Assuming the seasons are released at the rate of one per year, book 6 shouldn't be a problem, but I can almost guarantee that the show will finish before the last (i.e. 7th) book is released. This also means that upcoming seasons will be much more compressed (or longer) than the last two seasons have been. GRRM will apparently be able to supply the show's producers with enough information to shoot the last season or two, though, even if the last book isn't yet published.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

SCRawl wrote:
Darksider wrote:
According to the source quoted earlier, it is expected that there will be only 7 or 8 seasons total. Assuming the seasons are released at the rate of one per year, book 6 shouldn't be a problem, but I can almost guarantee that the show will finish before the last (i.e. 7th) book is released. This also means that upcoming seasons will be much more compressed (or longer) than the last two seasons have been. GRRM will apparently be able to supply the show's producers with enough information to shoot the last season or two, though, even if the last book isn't yet published.
If it really came down to it, I wonder if they'd stretch the material they have, perhaps with flashbacks to some of major historical events (Roberts Rebellion etc) that are fleshed out in much greater detail in the books.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Nonsense, if you're going to derail, go all the way. Have some prophecy come up and then flashback to the doom of Valyria to tie it in. Plenty of stuff you can do there, way cooler and equal relevance to the current events!
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Pelranius wrote:I find this season's Daario to be a little more tolerable.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they changed actors in 5 and 6 (like with the Mountain).
Really? I loved the old Daario. He was just the sort of pretty boy prick that he was in the books. And he brought out the exact same reaction as book!Daario without the hair:omg, he's such a douchebag! How don't you see this Dany???Oh...you're a teenager..that's why.

As far as I can tell most people don't really like him and I'm not sure that you're supposed to: he acts like a huge dick later on.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I liked the crazy "bald cannibal Space Jockey" look they went with the Thenns, although it is rather strange. The Thenns were mostly interesting in the books because they were in between the nomadic Free Folk and the feudalistic Seven Kingdoms, with hereditary leadership and bronze-smelting. You get the impression that before the Andals showed up, most of the dozens of small First Men kingdoms in Westeros probably looked like that in-universe.
Scrib wrote:Really? I loved the old Daario. He was just the sort of pretty boy prick that he was in the books. And he brought out the exact same reaction as book!Daario without the hair:omg, he's such a douchebag! How don't you see this Dany???Oh...you're a teenager..that's why.
Same here. The first guy really nailed the smirking arrogance and lethality of Book-Daario.
Mr Bean wrote:Oh wait everyone still loves the show?
Another season please! No make that TWO Seasons!
I'm glad they finally gave the greenlight for a two-season order. It's a great idea because it allows them to front-load the production of as many scenes with the Stark children as possible as long as they get the fifth season ready on schedule, and minimize the problem of the kids growing up (which they are - I've read it's particularly an issue with the kids playing Bran and Arya).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

Man I love weddings :-)
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

At least this cringe-worthy Shae bullshit is done with. Christ. I assume that Tywin picks her up and Spoiler
she spills the beans. I wonder if she'll be a willing accomplice for vengeance's sake or if she'll just be tortured into submission. Honestly...I don't really know which I would prefer,I dislike her subplot immensely already so I'm not sure that I want to see anything apart from her death.
Also: was a Tyrell flirting with a Dornishman? Naughty, naughty.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ha ha ha! The witch, the bitch and the sisterfucker all got PWNED!

I just hope that fat slob has a horse that can go .5 past the light barrier.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Holy shit, was last night's episode satisfying. I've known what was going to happen since I finished A Storm of Swords a few months ago, but I wasn't expecting it quite so soon in this season. Still, actually seeing that bastard get his comeuppance was everything I'd hoped for. :twisted:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Ahhhhhhhhhh felt good.

Guess Joffrey got all choked up in the end ....

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

I really liked this episode (what a shock!)

I heard complaints of some Stannis character assassination, but given GRRM wrote this episode himself, I really can't complain. GRRM adequately indicated he wasn't some mindless religious fanatic by contrasting his attitude to Shireen with that of his wife. I loved that moment, as a Stannis fan.

(Though why they changed it from the books, where Axell Florent was killed for betraying Stannis, not being an infidel, is beyond me)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Vympel wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhh felt good.

Guess Joffrey got all choked up in the end ....

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

I really liked this episode (what a shock!)

I heard complaints of some Stannis character assassination, but given GRRM wrote this episode himself, I really can't complain. GRRM adequately indicated he wasn't some mindless religious fanatic by contrasting his attitude to Shireen with that of his wife. I loved that moment, as a Stannis fan.

(Though why they changed it from the books, where Axell Florent was killed for betraying Stannis, not being an infidel, is beyond me)
Maybe continued character assassination, written by GRRM or no ? It's not like he can't switch characterization from one medium to another. Also: it's not like the author is the Pope.

But, iirc Stannis did the same thing in the books. But there he sent men to burn the temples and armed men tried to prevent it. You can't attack servants of the king so...people died. The simple summary given by him can still mean that, but it makes it seem as if Florent was just a peaceful protestor who got roasted for his beliefs.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Book Stannis burns with a purpose, not because you refuse to convert but because you did something else. Which makes me sad to see them leave it at Crusader King Stannis.
But someone else on Reddit covered this episode perfectly. Joffery chokes just long enough to switch it from glorious to uncomfortable to horrifying.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Am I the only one who got the impression that Roose wouldn't have given a damn if "Reek" had decided to cut Ramsey's throat? At that point in time he seemed quite pissed off over what the bastard had been up to.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Am I the only one who got the impression that Roose wouldn't have given a damn if "Reek" had decided to cut Ramsey's throat? At that point in time he seemed quite pissed off over what the bastard had been up to.
No I personally got the impression he was somewhat impressed by Ramsey's hold over Theon and was re-evaluating his feelings towards Ramsey.
Elfdart wrote:Ha ha ha! The witch, the bitch and the sisterfucker all got PWNED!
Who exactly do you mean by the first two?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Oh, once he saw that Ramsey had managed to get something useful out of Theon he reassessed things. But he seemed pretty pissed off that Ramsey cut up Theon like that.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Oh, once he saw that Ramsey had managed to get something useful out of Theon he reassessed things. But he seemed pretty pissed off that Ramsey cut up Theon like that.
The TV series Roose seems to have some standards. I read his expression to be "Ah nuts, after campaigning with a knucklehead for the past year, I come home to another one!"
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ralin wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Ha ha ha! The witch, the bitch and the sisterfucker all got PWNED!
Who exactly do you mean by the first two?
Cersei, Joffrey and Jaime.