Wonder Woman cast for Batman/Superman movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Wonder Woman cast for Batman/Superman movie

Post by Batman »

Clark essentially grew up as a US american except for his powers, and so did I except for the fact that I have more money than the rest of humanity combined. Diana grew up in Themyscera, where males are curiously inexistent* and technology that makes Trek run and hide in the closet is part of everyday life. **
So yeah, I think Diana's background needs a bit more explaining than mine or Clark's.

*One wonders where the next generation of Amazons is supposed to come from, though that was probably answered in the 99% of DC Comics I haven't read.

**Or so I seem to gather from my admittedly incomplete take on DC Comics.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

We're talking specifically about the difficulty of making a Wonder Woman movie, not her appearing as a character in a different movie.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Denzel Washington is rumored to be playing Green Lantern in the film now. Link
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

If true, well, I guess they have no desire to go back to Hal after the 2011 fiasco.
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

Batman wrote: *One wonders where the next generation of Amazons is supposed to come from, though that was probably answered in the 99% of DC Comics I haven't read.

I believe in the older comics the Amazons were all just made immortal (the eternal youth kind of immortal). In the New 52 comics, every once in a while they go find a bunch of lonely male sailors and offer them a night of free sex with hot women. Then they kill the sailors and give the male babies away to Hephaestus to work in his smithy.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yeah, that makes me really sympathetic to the Amazons....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Steve wrote:Yeah, that makes me really sympathetic to the Amazons....
Dude, NuDC has to be MORE "edgy" than OldDC, don't you get that? Besides, it wasn't like in OldDC the Amazons weren't occasionally a bunch of homocidal bitches. Remember their invasion of the USA? Find a male kid on the street? Off with it's head! Down with Men!

DC has allways been kinda derpy about how it portrays some of it's groups.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Batman wrote:Clark essentially grew up as a US american except for his powers, and so did I except for the fact that I have more money than the rest of humanity combined. Diana grew up in Themyscera, where males are curiously inexistent* and technology that makes Trek run and hide in the closet is part of everyday life. **
So yeah, I think Diana's background needs a bit more explaining than mine or Clark's.

*One wonders where the next generation of Amazons is supposed to come from, though that was probably answered in the 99% of DC Comics I haven't read.

* Diana, at least, was sculpted from river clay and her mother prayed to the gods to give her life. Unless they retconned that part out in the last few years. Wouldn't be the first time.

** the technology thing is really inconsistent. Half the time the writers have Themyscera as all ancient Greek, Bronze Age tech. Sometimes they're ahead of every other nation on earth with things like invisible planes and (one aspect I admit I miss from the old comics) an introspection machine that shows you as you are, no denials or BS, which they used to reform their criminals and sometimes WW's villains.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Batman wrote:Clark essentially grew up as a US american except for his powers, and so did I except for the fact that I have more money than the rest of humanity combined. Diana grew up in Themyscera, where males are curiously inexistent* and technology that makes Trek run and hide in the closet is part of everyday life. **

* Diana, at least, was sculpted from river clay and her mother prayed to the gods to give her life. Unless they retconned that part out in the last few years. Wouldn't be the first time.

** the technology thing is really inconsistent. Half the time the writers have Themyscera as all ancient Greek, Bronze Age tech. Sometimes they're ahead of every other nation on earth with things like invisible planes and (one aspect I admit I miss from the old comics) an introspection machine that shows you as you are, no denials or BS, which they used to reform their criminals and sometimes WW's villains.
Its been retconned in the new 52. Diana is now the daughter of Zeus from an affair Hippolyta had. Which naturally pissed Hera off.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Of course it has, and of course she is. Well, that could actually be interesting if handled well.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So she's Hercules with tits?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Atlan wrote:Besides, it wasn't like in OldDC the Amazons weren't occasionally a bunch of homocidal bitches. Remember their invasion of the USA? Find a male kid on the street? Off with it's head! Down with Men!
Personally, I dismiss Amazons Attack! as the bigoted crap that it is. I hold it against the creators, not the characters.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

FaxModem1 wrote:Denzel Washington is rumored to be playing Green Lantern in the film now. Link
I'm currently thinking that this movie will end with cameos by all the major Justice League members to set up the next movie. I don't expect a lot of Justice League action at this point. Could be wrong, though. And it may change twelve times between now and 2015.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I hope they have fight scenes like this one:

I'm sick to death of comic book movies taking themselves oh so seriously. It's a guy in a leotard fighting crime for Pete's sake!

If Batman and Superman are such sacred cows nowadays, why not take a D-list superhero like Aquaman and make a cheesy farce like the Adam West Batman series or Flash Gordon?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ted C wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Denzel Washington is rumored to be playing Green Lantern in the film now. Link
I'm currently thinking that this movie will end with cameos by all the major Justice League members to set up the next movie. I don't expect a lot of Justice League action at this point. Could be wrong, though. And it may change twelve times between now and 2015.
Which comes back to my fear that WB's trying to have their cake and eat it -- to build up to a Justice League crossover as quickly as possible without significant build-up ala Marvel.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Vendetta wrote:And when they made a movie of it literally none of that was relevant to the story, which was a story about how the favour of a father turns one brother into a vainglorious braggard and makes the other bitter and jealous, and how the braggard learns humility after that favour is removed.

It's a story that you could tell with literally no fantastical elements at all and it will work, and because you have a story that works the audience will accept all the window dressing and lightning shooting hammers.
This. This is why Star Wars worked so well. There is no exposition trying to set up the universe or explain why everything works. It is just SAVE THE PRINCESS!! SAVE THE GALAXY!! Everyone gets it. It doesn't need explanation, but hey look laser swords and spaceships too!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Grumman wrote:
Atlan wrote:Besides, it wasn't like in OldDC the Amazons weren't occasionally a bunch of homocidal bitches. Remember their invasion of the USA? Find a male kid on the street? Off with it's head! Down with Men!
Personally, I dismiss Amazons Attack! as the bigoted crap that it is. I hold it against the creators, not the characters.
It's the only sane and rational choice to make with that story. It's so wrong on so many levels.

But the edginess of the Nu52 and it taking over their mutlimedia properties is a disturbing trend that drives me away from these things more than it attracts me.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elfdart wrote:I'm sick to death of comic book movies taking themselves oh so seriously. It's a guy in a leotard fighting crime for Pete's sake!

If Batman and Superman are such sacred cows nowadays, why not take a D-list superhero like Aquaman and make a cheesy farce like the Adam West Batman series or Flash Gordon?
It's a charming idea; the main fear is that a farcical movie wouldn't recover the costs of making it.

A modern superhero movie isn't going to sell without CGI because the production values will be crap. But with CGI, every movie is an expensive gamble, so nobody wants to risk making a hundred million dollar farce that pans in theaters.
Havok wrote:
Vendetta wrote:And when they made a movie of it literally none of that was relevant to the story, which was a story about how the favour of a father turns one brother into a vainglorious braggard and makes the other bitter and jealous, and how the braggard learns humility after that favour is removed.

It's a story that you could tell with literally no fantastical elements at all and it will work, and because you have a story that works the audience will accept all the window dressing and lightning shooting hammers.
This. This is why Star Wars worked so well. There is no exposition trying to set up the universe or explain why everything works. It is just SAVE THE PRINCESS!! SAVE THE GALAXY!! Everyone gets it. It doesn't need explanation, but hey look laser swords and spaceships too!
Honestly, I'm trying to think of a single successful 'major' science fiction work in any medium that doesn't have this going for it

There's a lot of very good stories that revolve around the old mainstay of "assume one impossible thing, then look at the consequences." Assume precognitives who can predict crimes before they happen and explore the implications for what 'justice' means. Assume a machine that duplicates whatever you want and explore the social consequences. Assume an alien with the power to mimic and replace other forms of life. Assume whatever you like; just don't assume all three, and you have this kind of story.

Those work.

But aside from that- I can't think of anything really successful in SF that starts out without a good plot that would work without the fantastic element. And tellingly, I can't think of anything successful that starts by imagining some kind of complicated 'worldbuilding' exercise, and then proceeds by telling a plot which fails in the absence of that exercise.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh and that woman is too skinny to play WW so I hope she bulks up a bit.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Havok wrote:Oh and that woman is too skinny to play WW so I hope she bulks up a bit.
That just reminds me of some (recently found by me) articles from Comics Alliance on how artist classify the super heroic build as compared to Olympic athletes.

Most of these artists agreed that Wonder Woman should be pretty damn bulky in her build. Some quotes:
[Kalman] Andrasofszky put Power Girl and Wonder Woman in the same category but in a different weight class, and Jamie McKelvie said that Wonder Woman could do with “a bit more muscle” than she’s usually shown with. Marcus To classed Wonder Woman as a mixed martial artist, while Ramón Pérez said she’s an aerobic gymnast.
No-one thought that Wonder Woman or Power Girl should be bigger than [She-Hulk], though Emma Rios said Wonder Woman belongs in the same body builder category, describing her as “more balanced” than She-Hulk; “slender but also huge.”

Nicola Scott didn’t think that Wonder Woman needed a body builder’s frame, preferring to classify her as a mixed martial artist. “Diana is [a] perfect, god designed specimen, no huge muscle needed,” she said. She described her as “taller than [Power Girl], but I see her as leaner and longer.”
Quite a variety of opinions here, but I think everyone agrees, Gal Godot's going to need to bulk up a bit from "Hollywood Model." If she can do what Antje Traue or Jaimie Alexander did for their super hero films, then we're okay.

Then we just have to worry about if this creative team can screw up "Loves Everyone" as much as they did "Provider of Hope".
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Elfdart wrote:I'm sick to death of comic book movies taking themselves oh so seriously. It's a guy in a leotard fighting crime for Pete's sake!

Oh fuck no. I'm no fan of farcical humour anyway, but do you know what would happen if Hollywood tried? The Lone Ranger, that's what. A love letter to Hollywood's contempt.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I'd rather have them adapted for adults so that we don't have to resort to literature aimed at children for entertainment. Better yet, stop making these types of movies. Sure, it brings in money, but it's creatively bankrupt. Imagine if a lot of the he money spent on these big-budget productions went to smaller movies. Maybe then indie films would have more presence throughout the year instead of just in film festivals.