The 2nd Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: The 2nd Girl Genius Thread

Post by LaCroix »

Rudolf, the... gun... nosed reindeer? :D

I like their twisted sense of humor...

Is it just me or does Agatha give all her clanks too much personality? I mean, that thing was made to carry a sleigh, and maybe aquire and engage targets, but giving it a sense of aesthetics and design?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

LadyTevar wrote:
LaCroix wrote:Whenever Agatha does her thing and bystanders get bulging eyes, I can't help but getting giddy about what is to come...
That looks less like :shock: and more like :wtf:
I'm betting that whole speel about throwing out logic, nature, and all that results in mechanical horses or something.
applause.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Is it just me or does Agatha give all her clanks too much personality? I mean, that thing was made to carry a sleigh, and maybe aquire and engage targets, but giving it a sense of aesthetics and design?
I'm sure that's another characteristic of the Spark somehow. Artistic expression through their creations.

Though, she may be a bit justified in this case if she built it out of nearby, existing parts. There may have been a raindeer-chasis for nobility (hence artistry) in parts in that area, she merely taking it and "improving" on the original design.

Bets are that it won't be enough. Tweedle is overconfident in keeping Agatha and he may likely have a reason, even if one he overestimates. Consider the Knights of Jove mechs, they had helicopters. If the hangar is the same as the one Agatha is in now, it is likely that she is trapped by a geography that she can only escape with flight. Not to mention any defenses that may keep her inside.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

It does look to be a reindeer clank, however.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

I'm betting the reindeer has guns in its nose and rockets out its @rse. With the sleigh extending its wings, since it looks like a glorified duck/swan...
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

:shock:

So...did...not see...coming.....

:wtf:
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

When pigs fly.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

OK, I thought we'd have to wait until Agatha studies the outside terrain. I guess even I underestimated her :P. Now all she has to worry about (aside getting some winter clothing and supplies, but that's probably Violetta's problem) are any possible defenses.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Actually I just noticed: are those actualy swines or do they just have organic eyes?
Credo!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

*Blinks*

Well, Schweincopters...

The obvious choice...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Technorganic it is then. ;)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

* :lol: @ latest page*
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

So added to sig. Bravo!

Also, now we get to see just how over gunned that Reindeer is.
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Hmm... Krosp's final line. Is that a "We're going down! I don't care what you say, it's gotta be better than the pigs overheating in mid-air!", a "We're going down! The pigs overheated and we are now in freefall!", or a "We're going down! Trust me, I have an in with these guys."?
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I think it's a 'We're going down? They don't look like cat people..."
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Wouldn't there be a question mark instead of/in addition to the exclamation mark, then?
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

They lost a Swinecopter, so yes, they're going down.
Love the raindeer yelling "NOT THE FACE!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! :D

They should kick Krosp out, it might buy them some time while the hounds sort out their priorities... :D

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Isthvan is English-phonetic for the Hungarian István, Nyíregyháza is a city in the eastern part (towards what is modern Romania) of the (modern) country, beyond the Tisza. The borders would be different in Girl Genius, possibly incorporating more of western Romania. Then again, countries as such may not exist in GG.

I have no idea what Dryno refers to however, it doesn't pop up as a English-phonetic for any Hungarian word from the top of my head. It may be Romanian.

Incidentally, August 20th was the nameday for István.
Credo!
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner

On Wednesday's strip in the last frame, does anyone else see the "stalk" of a speech bubble, without any actual bubble at the end? Goes from Martellus down and to the right, partially covering "Seffie"'s muff (...the handwarmer, you sickos)?

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Zixinus wrote:Isthvan is English-phonetic for the Hungarian István, Nyíregyháza is a city in the eastern part (towards what is modern Romania) of the (modern) country, beyond the Tisza. The borders would be different in Girl Genius, possibly incorporating more of western Romania. Then again, countries as such may not exist in GG.
Not unrealistic, since Mechanicsburg seems to be in the German speaking region ("Carson von Mekkhan"), in a mountainous area, which implies the alps in the real-life southern Germany or Austria, and that Storm king castle is supposed to be "not far" from it...

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RecklessPrudence wrote:On Wednesday's strip in the last frame, does anyone else see the "stalk" of a speech bubble, without any actual bubble at the end? Goes from Martellus down and to the right, partially covering "Seffie"'s muff (...the handwarmer, you sickos)?
You're right, there is an extra. Wonder what what supposed to go there? :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

According to the Girl Genius Wiki Mechanicsburg would actually be in Romania, around modern Sibiu.
According to it, the Lingua Fraca of the Baron's Empire is German. It may be that Mechanicsburg is Germanized somehow, maybe even before the Baron (Germans immigrated into Hungary throughout its history, the effect may have spread to Romania).

Then they'd be in Eastern Carpathian mountains (or what the regular Wiki calls Western Romanian Carpathians). They would be relatively close to the town then.
Credo!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Zixinus wrote:According to the Girl Genius Wiki Mechanicsburg would actually be in Romania, around modern Sibiu.
According to it, the Lingua Fraca of the Baron's Empire is German. It may be that Mechanicsburg is Germanized somehow, maybe even before the Baron (Germans immigrated into Hungary throughout its history, the effect may have spread to Romania).

Then they'd be in Eastern Carpathian mountains (or what the regular Wiki calls Western Romanian Carpathians). They would be relatively close to the town then.
Oh! So they are Transylvanian Saxons, maybe? Sibiu is the Romanian name of "Hermannstadt", the biggest settlement of the Saxons.