Paul Atreides vs Ozymandias

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Re: Paul Atreides vs Ozymandias

Post by Enola Straight »

Ozy has a ace up his sleeve...

He built some kind of tachyon generator to cloak his plans from Dr. Manhattan's prescience.
Could he not do the same against Paul's ability to see the future?

Furthermore, Ozy's fighting skills against Comedian, Rorsharch, and Nite Owl (and Silk Spectre?) is ample evidence of his Hand-to-hand prowess.

Plus, he is skilled enough to snatch a fired bullet out of the air by catching it in his hand.

This is the reason I matched up these two: hand-to-hand between peak-human/bullet-timers.
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Enola Straight wrote:Ozy has a ace up his sleeve...

He built some kind of tachyon generator to cloak his plans from Dr. Manhattan's prescience.
Could he not do the same against Paul's ability to see the future?
You're assuming Ozymandias will have the time and resources to prepare the tachyon generator, for the Big Fight. What if the fight took place on Dune, instead of Earth? Where will Ozymandias even get the parts to build a tachyon generator?
Furthermore, Ozy's fighting skills against Comedian, Rorsharch, and Nite Owl (and Silk Spectre?) is ample evidence of his Hand-to-hand prowess.

Plus, he is skilled enough to snatch a fired bullet out of the air by catching it in his hand.

This is the reason I matched up these two: hand-to-hand between peak-human/bullet-timers.
Ozymandias fought and defeated human beings with significant combat training, bodybuilding, and/or athletic skills. He did NOT fight superhuman beings with the ability to predict the future, dodge bullets, or hypnotize people so their enemies would commit suicide or otherwise act in self-destructive manners- well, not in hand-to-hand combat.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Sidewinder wrote:
Enola Straight wrote:Furthermore, Ozy's fighting skills against Comedian, Rorsharch, and Nite Owl (and Silk Spectre?) is ample evidence of his Hand-to-hand prowess.

Ozymandias fought and defeated human beings with significant combat training, bodybuilding, and/or athletic skills. He did NOT fight superhuman beings with the ability to predict the future, dodge bullets, or hypnotize people so their enemies would commit suicide or otherwise act in self-destructive manners- well, not in hand-to-hand combat.
As I noted before, all of the hand-to-hand segments narrated by Paul in Dune indicate that his prescience is completely useless in a melee.

Also...Paul dodging bullets? When did that happen?
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Terralthra wrote:Also...Paul dodging bullets? When did that happen?
I was confused by this line:
Enola Straight wrote:Furthermore, Ozy's fighting skills against Comedian, Rorsharch, and Nite Owl (and Silk Spectre?) is ample evidence of his Hand-to-hand prowess.

Having limited my Dune intake to the original novel, I thought Enola meant Paul demonstrated this ability in a later book (or movie adaptation).
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Paul never had bullet dodging capability, that I'm aware of. He was capable of what I can only describe as extremely fast movement in hand to hand combat, and his prescience was generally useless because with so many things that could happen in a fight it would basically be sensory overload if he tried to get a read on the fight. What this means for normal fights, I can't really say, as the only fights he has one on one were ones you would call pretty damned important to his future, which alone could turn his prescience into a clusterfuck. Paul was more a lord and commander in the novels, for all his abilities.

The only Dune character capable of Bullet Time, if not more, was Miles Teg after he was tortured in Heretics of Dune. To say it left him utterly starving to do it would be an understatement.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Sidewinder wrote: You're assuming Ozymandias will have the time and resources to prepare the tachyon generator, for the Big Fight. What if the fight took place on Dune, instead of Earth? Where will Ozymandias even get the parts to build a tachyon generator?

well, in fairness if the fight took place off dune (say in watchmen-verse) then all Ozy has to do is wait for spice addiction to kill paul.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Paul does pretty casually kill a shapeshifting assassin with a thrown knife while blind. Said assasin was holding his infant children hostage, and his son Leto let Paul see through his eyes, which was good enough for the pretty much instant dealing of death.

At that point his prescience was effectively useless, as others have said here. Paul is plenty dangerous even without detailed knowledge of the future. With it, he's able to make everyone dance to his tune, and it's more or less impossible to defeat him in a contest of strategy, as opposed to immediate "they meet in an empty room" tactics where he's only as good as a very skilled and experienced individual.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud