Paul Atreides vs Ozymandias

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Paul Atreides vs Ozymandias

Post by Enola Straight »

Paul Atreides...Kwizatz-Haderach...Muad'Dib to the masses and Usul to the inner circle.
Has metaphysical abilities on par with a Jedi Master.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Atreides

Ozymandias...Adrian Veidt...member of the Watchmen and "Smartest Man in the World".
Can knock around fellow Watchmen...each with near-Batman level hand-to-hand combat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias_%28comics%29

Which would win?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Re: Paul Atreides vs Ozymandias

Post by Sarevok »

Paul wins ? He has superpowers + prescience. Other guy does not.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Adrian goes down, and goes down hard.The one and only reason I'm a threat to the superpowered members of our club is because they want me to. Batman is everybody's Plan B. Not so for Paul Atreides.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Hasn't Paul's prescience been shown to be useless in a fight? Consistently?
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Paul actually can't fight hand-to-hand, because he's used to fighting with shields which require slow stabbing movements, as opposed to quick ones.

Paul will sadly die, even if he is a Bene Gesserit witch.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ozymandias might be the "Smartest Man in the World", but Paul is a prescient human computer with the memories of a significant fraction of the human race.
Enola Straight wrote:Which would win?
Paul Muad'Dib introduces himself... and Ozymandias dies.
ryacko wrote:Paul actually can't fight hand-to-hand, because he's used to fighting with shields which require slow stabbing movements, as opposed to quick ones.

Even in Paul's first unshielded fight, to the death, the question wasn't whether Jamis might actually win, only what took Paul so long to go ahead and kill him.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

ryacko wrote:Paul actually can't fight hand-to-hand, because he's used to fighting with shields which require slow stabbing movements, as opposed to quick ones.

When Paul declares himself Duke to unite the Fremen he explicitly points out that there is not a single man there who could stand against him in single combat, Stilgar included. The Fremen are fully capable of besting Sardaukar, who in turn Baron Harkonnen considers could easily turn on his House troops during their joint attack on House Atreides and rout them even on the wrong side of 10-1 odds. By Dune Messiah, Paul's sister (and its implied Paul himself) has practiced against a training bot at levels that would kill other master swordsmen.

At age 15 when he bested Jamis,
Lady Jessica wrote:And it came to Jessica that Paul had been trained in prana and bindu, the nerve and the fiber -- that he had been taught fighting in a deadly school, his teachers men like Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck, men who were legends in their own lifetimes. The boy knew the devious ways of the Bene Gesserit and he looked supple and confident.

Paul Muad'Dib is not just a trained hand-to-hand combatant, but an extremely deadly one.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Yeah. When he was 15. Not when he was emperor. When he killed a person who'd been fighting for years.

Also, Paul could likely use Voice on Ozzy to make him kill himself.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Paul is not the deadliest person in a hand-to-hand fight. That honour belongs to Count Fenrig, who, if not for a sudden change of heart, would have killed him on the spot.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:Paul is not the deadliest person in a hand-to-hand fight. That honour belongs to Count Fenrig, who, if not for a sudden change of heart, would have killed him on the spot.
After Paul had fought a large battle *and* just finished a duel against his cousin.

If he was fresh? Might have been different.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That has no basis really. Paul himself acknowledges that he would lose against him. There is no guarantee the genocidal maniac would have won even if he had been fresh.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:That has no basis really. Paul himself acknowledges that he would lose against him. There is no guarantee the genocidal maniac would have won even if he had been fresh.
Never said there was a guarantee the father of the savior of the human race would have won, just that there were extenuating circumstances at the time.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AMT wrote:Never said there was a guarantee the father of the savior of the human race would have won, just that there were extenuating circumstances at the time.
well, if the father of the great enslaver gets to claim that, so does everybody he defeated in battle. I tell you, Feyd-Rautha was under stress the whole time too.

Pointless.
------------
------------
My LPs
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:
AMT wrote:Never said there was a guarantee the father of the savior of the human race would have won, just that there were extenuating circumstances at the time.
well, if the father of the great enslaver gets to claim that, so does everybody he defeated in battle. I tell you, Feyd-Rautha was under stress the whole time too.

Pointless.
Well of course Feyd was under stress. He was about to fight the liberator of the universe!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am sure the jihad made people feel real liberated. No problem with oppression when you are dead after all.

Hooray for the Great Genocider.
------------
------------
My LPs
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:I am sure the jihad made people feel real liberated. No problem with oppression when you are dead after all.

60 billion died so countless trillions could live.

Not everyone can be strong enough to make those kind of choices, but then again not everyone can be the savior of the race.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Thanas wrote:I am sure the jihad made people feel real liberated. No problem with oppression when you are dead after all.

Why are you bringing this up here, of all places? Ozymandias pulled the same stunt, killing millions to set humanity on what he considered the least bad path.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Thanas wrote:Paul is not the deadliest person in a hand-to-hand fight. That honour belongs to Count Fenrig, who, if not for a sudden change of heart, would have killed him on the spot.
Wasn't Fenring an almost Kwizatch haderach? He would still be on a different level than Ozymandias..

oh hell the spelling of these names is ridiculous I'm out :lol:

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Grumman wrote:

Why are you bringing this up here, of all places?
Just a friendly contest between me and AMT to see who can pull up the more extreme adjective (either positive or negative) for the Ultimate Tyrant.
------------
------------
My LPs
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:
Grumman wrote:

Why are you bringing this up here, of all places?
Just a friendly contest between me and AMT to see who can pull up the more extreme adjective (either positive or negative) for the Ultimate Tyrant.
Don't you mean the Great Liberator?
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

AMT wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Grumman wrote: Why are you bringing this up here, of all places?
Evidently you're both talking about Ozymandias.

Come to think about it...

Wouldn't Paul have Ozymandias work as his under-secretary?
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AMT wrote:
Thanas wrote:Just a friendly contest between me and AMT to see who can pull up the more extreme adjective (either positive or negative) for the Ultimate Tyrant.
Oh sure, if you meant the Great Adulterer. Paul Atreides has no family values. He is wrong for the country, and wrong for the galaxy. :lol:
------------
------------
My LPs
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:
AMT wrote:
Thanas wrote:Just a friendly contest between me and AMT to see who can pull up the more extreme adjective (either positive or negative) for the Ultimate Tyrant.
Oh sure, if you meant the Great Adulterer. Paul Atreides has no family values. He is wrong for the country, and wrong for the galaxy. :lol:
...damnit. You win.
*bows*
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

HERES the spirited thread from another board.
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... highlight=
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This sounds... kind of stupid, really. The two characters come from such totally different settings that they're not really comparable.

Some versus are interesting because you're comparing two broadly similar beings. Say, Han Solo versus Malcolm Reynolds- they're not that different in terms of their character and abilities. Relative to their own settings, which have very different technology, they have similar resources, too.

Or you might have a matchup that's interesting because it pits asymmetric skills against each other.

But here, you're just taking "the world's smartest man" and throwing him against someone who takes that peak of physical perfection thing so far that he becomes a god. It just doesn't make a lot of sense unless you're trying to jump up and down and go "lol Paul would totally pwn Ozy lololol" or something vapid like that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov