The Punisher vs The Comedian

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

The Punisher vs The Comedian

Post by Enola Straight »

Frank Castle
http://projectsday.hci.edu.sg/2010/15-F ... isher.html
vs
Eddie Blake
http://watchmen.wikia.com/wiki/Eddie_Blake

Both are Non-Superpowered humans skilled in both hand-to-hand combat and various weaponry.
One is obsessed with vengeance, the other is a sociopath.

Which would win?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Punisher vs The Comedian

Post by FaxModem1 »

At what age is Eddie Blake?
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

Does it matter?
At the time of his death, Eddie was still 225 and built like a linebacker.

Also, in the 40s, Eddie was much younger and had the shit beaten out of him at the hands of Hooded Justice when found in the middle of raping the original Silk Spectre.

For the sake of argument, lets put both at their physical primes.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Blake wasn't exactly trying to fight back in that scene. He was goading Justice on for the most part.
He also was literally caught with his pants down.

The Punisher uses A LOT more weapons and tactics than Blake does. Blake is also a nihilist to a point and is going to go straight at Castle guns blazing. Castle doesn't have the same mentality as Blake and use more subterfuge and such.

It also depends on the circumstance.
Is Blake being tasked with bringing in/killing Castle?
Has Castle decided Blake needs to be punished?

Keep in mind that for the most part Blake is a soldier that follows orders while Castle does what he does in the name of punishment for the guilty.
Has Blake committed crimes that would warrant Castle to set his eyes on Blake? During his whole career Castle has never gone after ex-soldiers for what they did during war time that I know of.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Rorschach's journal: A comedian died in New York. Multiple gunshot wounds. Coup de Grace administered with a shotgun at close range. No one cares but me.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Great post! I loved the detail and the examination of the relevant issues, which left no room for any discussion.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Let's think about this.....

a Guy that has gone after (and in some instances/versions taken down), actual super-powered beings who would own the Watchmen with ease (i.e Spiderman, Wolverine)

vs a Anti-social rapist with a few guns that has had his ass handed to him by normal guys.

Let me think about this......
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Punisher and Rorschach would have made for an interesting couple
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'd say Spidey or the Canadian would have their work cut out for them trying to take down Dr Manhattan, leave alone 'with ease'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Batman wrote:I'd say Spidey or the Canadian would have their work cut out for them trying to take down Dr Manhattan, leave alone 'with ease'.
Okay, Dr. Manhatton aside, they'd wipe the floor with the group in a straight out fight.

If I wanted to send someone after Dr. Manhatton, I think you're old buddy Amazo would be a good place to start...
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dr. Manhattan was barely a member of the Watchmen.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Havok wrote:Blake wasn't exactly trying to fight back in that scene. He was goading Justice on for the most part.
He also was literally caught with his pants down.

The Punisher uses A LOT more weapons and tactics than Blake does. Blake is also a nihilist to a point and is going to go straight at Castle guns blazing. Castle doesn't have the same mentality as Blake and use more subterfuge and such.

It also depends on the circumstance.
Is Blake being tasked with bringing in/killing Castle?
Has Castle decided Blake needs to be punished?

Keep in mind that for the most part Blake is a soldier that follows orders while Castle does what he does in the name of punishment for the guilty.
Has Blake committed crimes that would warrant Castle to set his eyes on Blake? During his whole career Castle has never gone after ex-soldiers for what they did during war time that I know of.
Blake did murder that girl in Vietnam that was pregnant with his child just to prove a point about Doctor Manhattan. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing Frank would deal with though.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

that and as with Rorschach the Comedian might have done things as a freelance crimefighter that do not seem that "moral"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Lord Revan wrote:that and as with Rorschach the Comedian might have done things as a freelance crimefighter that do not seem that "moral"
The Comedian was more violent than the other heroes, but he obviously didn't do anything so unacceptable that the stopped him from coming around.

The attempted/begun rape of Silk Specter was in the 50's when something like that was dealt with exactly the way we were shown. It's heinous, but at the time, forgivable, or at least able to be overlooked.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Solauren wrote:Okay, Dr. Manhatton aside, they'd wipe the floor with the group in a straight out fight.
Well that's great, but Peter Parker isn't Frank Castle. I realise that your logic is that Frank Castle has fought Spiderman ergo he can beat anyone in The Watchmen because ????

Like what's he going to do, shoot Adrian Veidt?

Incidentally Hollis Mason's memoirs indicate that Blake fought Veidt once before and emerged victorious (which is part of the reason why Veidt murders Blake personally), and as I recall a couple of characters express disbelief over Blake getting hammered. The suggestion of the graphic novel is that Eddie Blake was extremely dangerous even at age 60.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Ford Prefect wrote:Like what's he going to do, shoot Adrian Veidt?
Ayup. What's your reasoning for Castle not being able to take down Veidt? (And therefore, if I'm following your logic, not being able to take down the Comedian?)
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Solauren wrote:Okay, Dr. Manhatton aside, they'd wipe the floor with the group in a straight out fight.
Well that's great, but Peter Parker isn't Frank Castle. I realise that your logic is that Frank Castle has fought Spiderman ergo he can beat anyone in The Watchmen because ????

Like what's he going to do, shoot Adrian Veidt?

Incidentally Hollis Mason's memoirs indicate that Blake fought Veidt once before and emerged victorious (which is part of the reason why Veidt murders Blake personally), and as I recall a couple of characters express disbelief over Blake getting hammered. The suggestion of the graphic novel is that Eddie Blake was extremely dangerous even at age 60.
He'd probably use explosives if he knew about Veidt's reaction time.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

A rather spirited thread from another board:
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... highlight=
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

InnerBrat wrote:Ayup. What's your reasoning for Castle not being able to take down Veidt? (And therefore, if I'm following your logic, not being able to take down the Comedian?)
That's not my logic, I'm simply pointing out that Eddie Blake was a big deal among the various costumed adventurers - as opposed to just some goon with guns as has been said so far.

And what's my logic for Castle not being able to take down Veidt? How about 'he's actually fuckloads better than Frank Castle in basically every way imaginable'?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

Enola Straight wrote:A rather spirited thread from another board:
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... highlight=
shit...linked to the wrong thread :oops:
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

General Zod wrote:Blake did murder that girl in Vietnam that was pregnant with his child just to prove a point about Doctor Manhattan. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing Frank would deal with though.
How about it being revealed that he was the real killer of JFK?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

InnerBrat wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Like what's he going to do, shoot Adrian Veidt?
Ayup. What's your reasoning for Castle not being able to take down Veidt? (And therefore, if I'm following your logic, not being able to take down the Comedian?)
How about Veidt being so quick that he can literally catch bullets, on top of being "the smartest man in the world". Veidt would be a hard opponent for the Goddamn Batman.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The Goddamn Batman would like to point out that he's handicapped by the abysmally stupid 'No killing' rule while Castle is not. Veidt can't catch bullets he doesn't know are coming so what's to stop Frank, who to my (admittedly limited) knowledge is an accomplished marksman, putting a .50cal in the back (and front , shortly after) of Veidt's head from 1500 metres away?
As for the bullet catching, I'm reminded of that scene from The Avengers wherein Loki catches Hawkeye's arrow...only to have it explode in his face.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ted C wrote:How about Veidt being so quick that he can literally catch bullets, on top of being "the smartest man in the world". Veidt would be a hard opponent for the Goddamn Batman.
Veidt was able to catch one bullet he knew was coming, and it still knocked him down and drew blood.

He even said afterwards "something else I wasn't sure would work"

An assault rifle on full auto would turn him into swiss cheese like anyone else.
JADAFETWA
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

An assault rifle? THis is the Punisher we're talking about.....

Assault Cannons come to mind.

But, back to the main topic;
The Punisher has been shown, in various realities, to take down beings far superior to the Comedian.

The Punisher uses tactics, he out thinks dangerous opponents, he plans, and he is not afraid to kill. He also takes his own safety into account.

More then likely, the Punisher would simply avoid the Comedian, and just wait for a clear shot from a few hundred yards. Say when Comedian got back to his apartment.
Rorschach's journal: A comedian died in New York. His head was exploded by a large calibur weapon from several hundred feet away. Assassin's name unknown. No one cares but me.