ATTN: anime people RE: End of Evangelion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Re: ATTN: anime people RE: End of Evangelion

Post by Davis 51 »

With Eva as an examination of both Anno's mental state and his general feelings towards Otaku in general, I'd recommend giving the Rebuild films a try. Some have complained that the characters are too much more normal, but this seems like an intentional reflection of Anno's current mental state, which is much better than it was. Certain parts, now that they were able to revise them, are greatly improved, and things are just different enough to be interesting. (I read somewhere that the rebuilds were Eva on Mood Stabilizers.) It's a worthwhile experience even if you don't agree with it, 'cause I mean, he could have just redone it closer to the original, but we've already seen that, so why not do something new?

Plus, the animation/action is gorgeous to the point of downright haunting at times. Especially in 2.22. Spoiler
9th angel. Damn.
Totally not proven in any way, but my personal opinion:
Spoiler
I subscribe to the fan hypothesis that the rebuilds are a continuation of a Groundhog Day-style Loop which began with Eva eps 1-26, first looped with Death/Rebirth/EoE, and are now in Rebuild, but only time will tell if this is correct.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Davis 51 wrote: Totally not proven in any way, but my personal opinion:
Spoiler
I subscribe to the fan hypothesis that the rebuilds are a continuation of a Groundhog Day-style Loop which began with Eva eps 1-26, first looped with Death/Rebirth/EoE, and are now in Rebuild, but only time will tell if this is correct.
Have you heard that
Spoiler
the third movie's English title is "You Can (Not) Redo"? :lol:
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Yeah I might watch the rebuild films, maybe in like a year when I have some emotional distance from the original. Because right now, from all the descriptions in this thread, it just sounds like a complete bastardisation of the characters. Though I think I can see why it would appeal to people.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

evilsoup wrote:Yeah I might watch the rebuild films, maybe in like a year when I have some emotional distance from the original. Because right now, from all the descriptions in this thread, it just sounds like a complete bastardisation of the characters. Though I think I can see why it would appeal to people.
Depends on your definition of bastardization. The characters are essentially the same, just after some severe therapy. They still have issues, but they react to the issues in a slightly more stable way. I say slight, because they are still kinda fucked up.
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Davis 51 wrote:Spoiler
LOL WUT :P
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I subscribe to the fan hypothesis that the rebuilds are a continuation of a Groundhog Day-style Loop which began with Eva eps 1-26, first looped with Death/Rebirth/EoE, and are now in Rebuild, but only time will tell if this is correct.[/spoiler]
It's also been debated countless times on Evawiki's forums and while i'm not exactly a fan of that place nor do I post there, the general consensus was that the evidence for such a link is faulty at best. It's overall very unlikely.
Spoiler
That's about as stupid as movie names get. Also why is this in a spoiler tag?
Best care anywhere.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

If you want to know more about Anno's mental state around the time of Evangelion and about his past, just watch this documentary.

This is an officially subtitled video that has never had a home release.

His favorite Kamen Rider is Stronger.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

"Why is it named an Evangelion?"

"It has Christian meanings and comes from Greek history etc, but I chose it because it sounds cool."

He's the man when he's not depressed. :lol:
Best care anywhere.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Davis 51 wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Davis 51 wrote:Spoiler
LOL WUT :P
You are aware that the first film is "You Are (Not) Alone" and the second "You Can (Not) Advance", right?
Davis 51
Jedi Master

Post by Davis 51 »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:You are aware that the first film is "You Are (Not) Alone" and the second "You Can (Not) Advance", right?
Of course I am, I just hadn't heard the name of the third one, and was shocked at how it so easily lends credence to the hypothesis I posted earlier.

That said,
It's also been debated countless times on Evawiki's forums and while i'm not exactly a fan of that place nor do I post there, the general consensus was that the evidence for such a link is faulty at best. It's overall very unlikely.
I'm not a huge Eva fan, so I don't frequent there either. Not sure how any of the 'evidence' was faulty though, since most of it (aka Kaworu) seemed to gear towards hinting towards (or at least teasing towards) this very idea.
Brains!
"-Darth Wong
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

As to the idea that the rebuild movies are a time loop...
Spoiler
Kaoru is right there. And he seems to know what's going on. And he says 'I look forward to meeting you, Shinji Ikari. And this time, I will make you happy'. If that doesn't say time loop, I'm not sure what would.

Not to mention other vague hints on how everyone's character changed. Asuka has a different last name, which is of the same WW2 Class as Rei's last name. As they have exhibit a few more commonalities, like the desire for more meaningful links to people.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Davis 51 wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:You are aware that the first film is "You Are (Not) Alone" and the second "You Can (Not) Advance", right?
Of course I am, I just hadn't heard the name of the third one, and was shocked at how it so easily lends credence to the hypothesis I posted earlier.
But the parenthetical means that it could be the opposite! Such a dick move!