DragonBall Z abridged

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Re: DragonBall Z abridged

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I kinda liked DBZ Kai Abridged.

I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say.

Hilariously derailing one-liner.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Ghost Nappa has turned up one other time that I can think of - 'I think your rage broke, Vegeta.'

And yeah, Nappa's lines in Kai Abridged - all two of them - were wonderful, and true for the 'quote everything' bit, at least for everybody I know that's watched the series.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

VF5SS wrote:
StarSword wrote: The reason a lot of English-language anime consists of the characters just standing around talking is because the Japanese version was already cut to within an inch of its life to get past American censors. I'm told they cut the hell out of Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin.
No.

The reason a lot of english-language anime consists of people standing around talking is because a lot of anime consists of people standing around talking. This is especially true for shows based on popular Shonen Action series like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, etc. The reason for this is when adapting things from the manga medium, say some internal monologue that takes a panel will now take a few minutes because the whole thing has to be spoken. Also Shonen Action series tend to draw things out in order to keep the show going (and thus keep people watching) and to prevent overshooting the story of the original manga. Because every time they go past the manga we get the dreaded "filler" where the producers of the anime version have to start making shit up to fill time. For example, the episodes of DBZ where Piccolo and Goku have to get their driver's license.
OTOH, those were sometimes the best parts of DBZ. Not so for other series, though.
I'm not saying there isn't censorship, but I have yet to see any dubbers take the time to re-edit a show so that it extends talking scenes just to cover violent action. Usually it is easier to just edit the consequences of the violence because hey this is America and you can be as violent as you want as long as there is no consequences like violent death and the like.
Not always. Some types of violence are frowned upon, and get edited out.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Oscar Wilde wrote:Ghost Nappa has appeared a total of three times.

"I'm haunting you."

"You are now thinking about what Zarbon did to you while you were unconscious. Have fun with that."

"He took the dragonball."
He also briefly appears to give Vegeta an excuse as to how he got so injured.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I'm pretty sure he also appeared in an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

VF5SS wrote: The reason a lot of english-language anime consists of people standing around talking is because a lot of anime consists of people standing around talking. This is especially true for shows based on popular Shonen Action series like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, etc. The reason for this is when adapting things from the manga medium, say some internal monologue that takes a panel will now take a few minutes because the whole thing has to be spoken. Also Shonen Action series tend to draw things out in order to keep the show going (and thus keep people watching) and to prevent overshooting the story of the original manga. Because every time they go past the manga we get the dreaded "filler" where the producers of the anime version have to start making shit up to fill time. For example, the episodes of DBZ where Piccolo and Goku have to get their driver's license.
Also because standing still and flapping lips is hell of cheap to animate, whereas voice acting represents more of a "fixed" cost, so you can lean on the voice actors to do more of the work than the animation and still come in under the (hilariously low) budget of TV anime.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

General Schatten wrote:I'm pretty sure he also appeared in an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged.
He was mentioned in an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged (the "Who is Kaiba's father?" episode), but I can't remember him actually popping up.

Ghost Nappa also briefly popped up in Escaflowne Abridged.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

DBZ Abridged for me, since the introduction of LittleKuriboh's take on Freeza (which made him actually scary) went from being a damn good Abridged Series, to a significantly better and funnier Shonen show than DBZ or DBZ Kai.

Like, when was the last time a fan parody did that? Never, that's when. :P
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Sorry for the necro, but the second season/Freeza Saga is all wrapped up.

You can watch every episode in order here.