SUCKERPUNCH

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: SUCKERPUNCH

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

My big hope for MIB 3 is that we'll actually get a movie longer than 90 minutes.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

Crazedwraith wrote:According to wikipedia; Watchmen had a budget of $130 million and Gross Revenue (Worldwide) of $185 Million. So factoring in Ads and then DVDs, possibly in profit but hardly raking in the cash.
I've read on various occasions that between production costs, marketing costs (which for a big studio release can be equal to 10% of the production budget) and the theaters' cuts that a movie usually has to pull in 2.5x its production budget in gross revenue simply to break even in theatrical release. Most of those references were a few years back, so I don't know if that math still applies. Even assuming a more favorable 2x production cost break point and adding DVD sales (minus the manufacturing cost of those), Watchmen may not be in the black yet.

OTOH, I've also read that DVD sales can over time turn enough profit that the studios don't sweat as much over the theatrical gross as they once did. Sometimes theatrical release is even seen as somewhat of a loss-leader advertisement for the DVD release.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Joe Momma wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:According to wikipedia; Watchmen had a budget of $130 million and Gross Revenue (Worldwide) of $185 Million. So factoring in Ads and then DVDs, possibly in profit but hardly raking in the cash.
I've read on various occasions that between production costs, marketing costs (which for a big studio release can be equal to 10% of the production budget) and the theaters' cuts that a movie usually has to pull in 2.5x its production budget in gross revenue simply to break even in theatrical release.

That's a rule of thumb that I've heard as well. The main complication is that the studios tend to be good at finding all kinds of tax shelters and subsidies, and we don't know how much Watchmen actually cost compared to the official production budget. Looking at the website for Canadian film incentives, as well as the list of provincial tax incentives, the movie may have gotten combined tax credits up to nearly 50% of the film's production costs (provided they used labor from British Columbia, as well as a certain number of Canadian actors).
Joe Momma wrote: OTOH, I've also read that DVD sales can over time turn enough profit that the studios don't sweat as much over the theatrical gross as they once did. Sometimes theatrical release is even seen as somewhat of a loss-leader advertisement for the DVD release.
"Back-end" such as DVD/Blu-Rays and merchandise is how most big-budget movies make profit these days (the Blu-Ray Market is the most profitable segment of the film industry, IIRC). It's not pure profit (they have some costs involved in making the DVDs), but they do get a higher profit margin.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Good gods, just got back from well...whatever it was. Fucking terrible in all regards, even by my low standards. Its not even a decent popcorn flick!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
BlackAdder
Redshirt

Post by BlackAdder »

Dartzap wrote:Good gods, just got back from well...whatever it was. Fucking terrible in all regards, even by my low standards. Its not even a decent popcorn flick!
I completely agree. It has no plot, makes no sense in any other way, and I very nearly walked out halfway through.
Incidentally, you haven't been looking at the Angel for a while...

"Dear Micheal Bay. Thank you for casting Shia LeBeouf in the Transformers movies. Go to hell.
Yours, Lelouch" Lelouch Lamperouge; Code Ment