The Last Airbender brand new trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Questor
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Last Airbender brand new trailer

Post by Questor »

open_sketchbook wrote:It felt like that had all the bits they needed to make the movie good, and then they totally failed to put it together. I felt like the movie was just beginning at the goddamn climax, so something was really fucking wrong.

Get M. Night Shamwow off the next one and you have my butt in the seat, but I refuse to watch if he has any part in book 2.

Also, was it just me, or did it feel like the scenes with the Fire Nation were part of a different, much better movie? I would like to see more of that movie, and less of the shit they shoveled onto the projector.
I agree with open_sketchbook completely. I've finished season 1 of the cartoon, and I'm really amazed that they fucked up this badly. The source material was great, and they should have been able to tighten up the movie considerably with all the sub-plots they cut.

Also, I understand why they changed the time to the comet. (The kids are going to age, and if they do one movie a year, three years makes sense, they would have used the same timing in a live action series, probably.)
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Guardsman Bass wrote: The Village: $256,697,520

Lady in the Water: $72,785,169

The Happening: $163,403,799

Of course, that's misleading, since the production companies only get a certain percentage of that back, and then there's the production and advertising budgets to consider. Then add in DVD sales and the like . . .
Indeed. I found this website of someone who is a Professor on film studies (they have degrees for these things :wtf: ). Basically he said.
Of course not all the money in those high gross figures announced on Monday mornings goes back to the studio. Across a film’s run, on average about half of its ticket income stays with the theater owner (and more than that overseas). So a Hollywood film has to gross roughly twice its production and P & A costs just to break even. That actually doesn’t happen all that often, so the studio makes its real profits on the DVD (which costs little to make and brings in about $11 in profit per disc to its maker).
If we apply that rule (I took the easy way out and used wiki)

The village revenue - 256,697,520, production plus marketing - 111,682,975 (40 million marketing, the rest in production), so it would have made a profit, although not a big one considering not all the money goes to studios.

The lady in the water revnue - 72,785,000, budget + advertising 145,000 (75 million plus 70 million respectively), so this totallly bombed and I doubt whether DVD sales could save it

The Happening revenue - 163,403,799 world wide, budget 48,000,000 (note I couldn't find cost of promotion).

However if we assume cost of promotion was somewhere between 40 million and 70 million (the cost to promote Shyamalan's two other films), it would most likely have to rely on DVD sales to make a profit (as from wiki its DVD sales has 21 million in revenue). Although the profit so far can't be big, and this film had some decent praise even though the story about sentient plants killing us be releasing chemicals in the air plus its anti science theme is so stupid I don't really want to see it.

Contrast this to the film which made his name

The sixth sense
Budget - 40 million advertising - 25 million
Revenue - 672,806,292
open_sketchbook wrote:It felt like that had all the bits they needed to make the movie good, and then they totally failed to put it together. I felt like the movie was just beginning at the goddamn climax, so something was really fucking wrong.

Get M. Night Shamwow off the next one and you have my butt in the seat, but I refuse to watch if he has any part in book 2.

Also, was it just me, or did it feel like the scenes with the Fire Nation were part of a different, much better movie? I would like to see more of that movie, and less of the shit they shoveled onto the projector.
Wouldn't the next one depend on how financially successful this one is? Any one remember Eragon? I didn't find it that bad a movie and with Rachel Weisz doing the voice of the dragon it was nice. However not enough people wanted to see it so there were no plans for a sequel.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Overall, I found a number of major faults. The Muted colors and performances were a minor annoyance at best.

The Bending motions were poorly executed and often full of superfluous actions. Compare that the the solid and swift bending in the series, and it was quite jarring.

But the biggest fault is the emphasis of Jesus in the Kung Fu Action Jesus that Aang is often said to be.

In the movie, the Avatar is seen largely as a conduit for the spirit world, I can understand the emphasis, but the way it is done is just ham-fisted. The addition of basically The Da Vinci Code to the reason for Aang's running away and the epic non-ending of "You ARE the Messiah!" style revelation was just as muted and dull as everything else in the movie.

The other big problem is a lot of "Show don't tell" and repeated exposition. Me and my friends spent the time riffing the movie, one of our recurring jokes was "Didn't we already establish that?" and "WE KNOW THAT ALREADY!".

We're told about the Fire Nation's "Machines" but see only ONE--and it's shit.

Those two things overall killed the movie. All the other complaints (bending superfluousness, muted/dull everything, bad acting) takes second to them.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

That reminds me--how does the quasi-steampunk stuff in the show translate here? I remember the trailer showing fireball-catapulting battleships, at least...
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

It's barely touched upon.

The ships are burning coal for all the soot they produce, there's one vehicle shown and that's barely detailed or explained. The Fire Nation get personal drills to bore up from under the ice which appear to be hand-cranked afairs or something...

Yeah...
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

open_sketchbook wrote: Also, was it just me, or did it feel like the scenes with the Fire Nation were part of a different, much better movie? I would like to see more of that movie, and less of the shit they shoveled onto the projector.
Yeah, I was actually very happy with how the major fire nation characters turned out. Pretty much all of them had their characters nailed. Now if only the rest of the cast had managed that.

Another thing that kind of pissed me off is the fact that roughly half the characters had their names pronounced wrong. I mean seriously there's just no excuse for that given that you've got a TV series telling you how all the names are pronounced and yet it's fucked up for at least 3 major characters.

Also with regards to the bending.. why the hell did the Firebenders get nerfed down to having to have an existing flame aside from the higher ranking ones?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

In regards to mispronounciation, that was actually deliberate on the part of Shmyladingdong, to 'honor his Asian heritage', or something like that.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Yeah, my sister and I spent twenty minutes after the film ended saying "ONG" back and forth to one another and laughing hysterically. This was more enjoyable than the movie to us.

The only thing that kept us sane was quoting the Avatar Abridged Series to each other during the movie.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Srelex wrote:In regards to mispronounciation, that was actually deliberate on the part of Shmyladingdong, to 'honor his Asian heritage', or something like that.
...He's Indian :WTF:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

How the fuck does Shamalodong keep getting piles of money shovelled at him ? I can understand shit directors getting a second or third chance. But this ? Especially in current economic climate ? How does M.Night keep getting hundreds of millions to play with when every movie he made in living memory was slammed pretty hard ?
...He's Indian :WTF:
The Firenation does incorporate some Indian culture. Agni Kai for instance. Agni is common Indic language word for fire. But the East Asian influences in Avatar greatly outstrip Indian themes. Other than Chakras, the guru and the term Avatar I don't see many Indian influences.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, even if incredible directing talent is suddenly infused into him, seeing as so far the box office returns haven't been impressive as far as I can gather, I can't imagine his career advancing much now...
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Here's a review from the New York Post that does a great job of summing up the movie... and Shymalon's overall movie career.
If M. Night Shyamalan sold his soul to the devil for the success of "The Sixth Sense," I think His Satanic Majesty has finally collected in full with "The Last Airbender," the writer-director's mind-numbingly dreadful live-action adaptation of a popular animated TV series.

Shyamalan, whose films have gotten progressively worse over the past decade, finally hits rock bottom here -- stilted dialogue, wooden acting, glacial pacing, cheesy special effects, tacky-looking sets, ugly costumes, poorly staged and edited action sequences, all shown in murky, cut-rate 3-D.

This fiasco has deservedly generated advance criticism for hiring Caucasian actors to play leads that were portrayed as Asians in the TV show and pitting them against darker-skinned bad guys. But that's only the beginning of the problems with this utterly misconceived fantasy, which is reported to have cost about $150 million.

For that kind of money, actors who re-record dialogue should at least be required to match their mouth movements. And the movie should be more than marginally coherent for those unfamiliar with the Nickelodeon series. (Tweets suggest its fans at early screenings hate the movie.)

The film revolves around Aang (Noah Ringer), a 12-year-old who's thawed out after spending nearly a century in a glacier (audiences may feel the same way at the end of the movie). The last in a long-ago slaughtered race of airbenders -- he can use air as a weapon -- Aang is also the latest in a long line of dalai lama-esque avatars charged with "bringing balance" to the world.

But first Aang has to learn how to also bend water, earth and fire as weapons -- and stop the firebenders who killed the other airbenders from destroying the waterbenders, as well. Or something like that.

This basic story line was played out over the TV series' first season -- the couple of episodes I watched had an offbeat charm -- but in Shyamalan's inept hands it's easily the worst of the many overplotted, would-be fantasy franchises launched in the wake of "The Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter."

Not helping matters at all are Aang's teenage companions on the quest: a waterbender played by Nicola Peltz and her hunky brother (Jackson Rathbone, also featured in "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse"), who look like they escaped from a road company of "The Chronicles of Narnia."

The evil firebenders are led by poor Cliff Curtis, who repeatedly has to remind his minions not to kill Aang because "he'll just be reincarnated."

The biggest name in the cast, the wonderful Dev Patel of "Slumdog Millionaire," is perfectly awful and looks miserable as Curtis' whiny son -- something for which I think we have to give Shyamalan special credit.

It all anticlimaxes with a boring, confusingly filmed attack on a city of waterbenders -- and the hunk's ho-hum doomed romance with an insipid local princess we barely get to meet.

There's also a promise of at least two sequels that I feel fairly certain will never get made. Two minutes in, it's frighteningly clear "The Last Airbender" is on a fast track to the same crowded franchise graveyard as this season's "Jonah Hex," "The A-Team" and "The Prince of Persia."
150 million???? Holy shit.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Srelex wrote:Well, even if incredible directing talent is suddenly infused into him, seeing as so far the box office returns haven't been impressive as far as I can gather, I can't imagine his career advancing much now...
What the estimated intake so far, only $16 million right?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

JME2 wrote:
Srelex wrote:Well, even if incredible directing talent is suddenly infused into him, seeing as so far the box office returns haven't been impressive as far as I can gather, I can't imagine his career advancing much now...
Looks like it, yes.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Srelex wrote:
JME2 wrote:
Looks like it, yes.
Ouch.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

It is so bad that not only could Uwe Boll make a better movie than Shyamalan has done here, he already has.

...Efilmcritic.com

:shock: Sweet Christ, the name of Uwe Boll has been invoked.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Sarevok wrote:How the fuck does Shamalodong keep getting piles of money shovelled at him ? I can understand shit directors getting a second or third chance. But this ? Especially in current economic climate ? How does M.Night keep getting hundreds of millions to play with when every movie he made in living memory was slammed pretty hard ?
It's not just that his recent movies have been considered poor, they've also been financial flops as well. And at least when he was still turning out Lady in the Water or The Happening he was still within his element. He was the Twilight Zone-like fantasy/suspense director. Studios probably gave him a chance because of his previous success in that genre. But after those movies flopped as well, he somehow got handed a mainstream blockbuster action franchise? I thought this sounded stupid more than a year ago when I first heard about it.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Just for morbid curiosity I searched for a few other reviews.

http://www.collider.com/2010/06/30/the- ... er-review/

Shyamalan also changed the pronounciation of the characters names. I would tend to wait for confirmation from a board member, but apparently he out and said he wanted the pronounciation changed. Rather than give my slant on it, lets hear it straight from his mouth.
And I fought like crazy to have the pronunciation of the names to go back to the Asian pronunciation. So you say “Ahng” instead of “Aaang” because it’s correct. It’s not “I-rack,” it’s “ee-Rock.” I’m literally fighting for all this.
So he wants the name to reflect Asian pronounciation. :wtf: Too bad he didn't think about the Asian characters when he cast caucasian actors, but whatever. Its almost like he goes out of his way to alienate fans of the show.

I have said earlier that it would most probably be a good movie if Shyamalan adapts it reasonably close to the show, ie kept the things which made the cartoon great. However it appears from reviews he has failed to do that. I guess the signs should have been there when he thought Asian actors aren't good enough to play Asian characters. Followed by him changing the way names are pronounced based on what he thought.

That being said it could still be a commercial success, or at least break even. Its apparently made just under $33 million in its opening weekend. linky. This puts it slightly better than his previous movie the Happening. I should note however that the latter cost only $48 million to make while the Last Airbender we get figures of $150 million trotted out. Hey at least the 3D attendences gives it a bit more money. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Aang - spelt that way - doesn't necessarily means that it's definitely pronounced one way or another because the actual name wouldn't even be romanized. Because of the difference between the American and British pronunciations of, for example the word "can't", the name "Chang" in America might be pronounced the same as "Cheng" elsewhere. Similarly, Chung is "chuhng" in America, and I've heard it pronounced "choong" in Malaysia.

Therefore, if ATLA is American-made and "Aang" has been spoken as "ehng" since forever, then Shyamalan was wrong in "Asiafying" the pronunciation because "ehng" was the creator's intent and the American spelling is valid. If it was originally made in Hong Kong, perhaps the spelling would have been romanized as "Eng" from the beginning.

Hope I'm making sense.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Still "Eng" sounds whole lot more better than "ong". I wonder how Shy Melon would romanize Sokkas alter ego "Wang Fire". :d
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Old Plympto wrote:Aang - spelt that way - doesn't necessarily means that it's definitely pronounced one way or another because the actual name wouldn't even be romanized. Because of the difference between the American and British pronunciations of, for example the word "can't", the name "Chang" in America might be pronounced the same as "Cheng" elsewhere. Similarly, Chung is "chuhng" in America, and I've heard it pronounced "choong" in Malaysia.
However ATLA has been a cartoon before and fans generally expect the characters to be pronounced the same way.

And what do you mean it hasn't been romanised? I do vaguely remember that they wrote Aang's name in Chinese script.

However I see broadly two possibilities.

1. The creators came up with the name Aang because they liked it then tried to write it in Chinese script, in which case the name has been sinicized and saying it hasn't been romanised is a bit silly if they started with English spelling then tried to sound it out with Chinese script rather than vice versa.

2. The creators came up with the name in Chinese script (apparently he was based on the son of someone the creators knew) and then tried to sound it out in English. In which case it is romanised. Granted you might argue that they don't use one of the accepted romanisation schemes like pin yin, wade-giles etc, however it would seem that Aang is the attempt to romanise the characters name.

In other words, what are you actually trying to argue here?
Old Plympto wrote: Therefore, if ATLA is American-made and "Aang" has been spoken as "ehng" since forever, then Shyamalan was wrong in "Asiafying" the pronunciation because "ehng" was the creator's intent and the American spelling is valid. If it was originally made in Hong Kong, perhaps the spelling would have been romanized as "Eng" from the beginning.
Huh? What do you mean IF the Last Airbender is American made. Its an American cartoon where the creators borrowed heavily from Asian culture to come up with their fantasy world. The point is when adapting from an existing franchise, one would expect changes to be made. However it seems beyond stupid if you go out of your way to alienate the fanbase with such asinine changes like the pronounciation of names. Its even more stupid for Shyamalan to say its making it more Asian when he just changed the Asian characters by making them Caucasian.

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

I just got back from the early show. I saw it in 2D so none of the 3D issues apply. Yes Aang, Sokka, and Ihro's name pronunciation was changed for no real reason. The bending moves have several superfluous movements before (and sometimes during) the actual bending, but that is a minor annoyance. The real problem with the bending is that they didn't utilize it anywhere near what they should have. At one point Aang and Zuko get into a straight up martial arts fight and only after several moves do they actually bend. (This is in stark contrast to the cartoon where any actual martial arts hits are secondary or logical additions to the bending moves.) Despite this the actual bending effects were awesome. Easily among the best "magic" effects done in movies, there just should have been a lot more of it. I fully expected most of the story cuts from season one of the show but there were three cuts that should not have been at all. Spoiler
The Earth Kingdom city of Omashu was no where to be found. There was merely a spoken reference to Ba Sing Se. The Fire Temple and Avatar Roku were gone, yes seriously. The fire master hermit that reluctantly tries to teach Aang, and Katara subsequently learning water healing was gone.
Really the whole movie should have been a half hour to 45 minutes longer. Much like The Golden Compass there were scenes in the previews that were not in the theatrical cut of the movie. :wtf: Basically if you haven't seen the first season of the cartoon you probably wouldn't follow the story very well and there is no real reason for it. The only thing I can think of is maybe they had to keep cutting things to get a PG rating. All of that said, what the movie gets right it does very well. If the original cartoon is The Empire Strikes Back then the movie is The Phantom Menace. (In other words I'll actually re-watch this unlike most Academy Award "best picture" winners.) It is still far better than Signs, The Village, and Lady in the Water. (I can't believe some professional critics that reviewed The Last Airbender actually thought Signs was one of the good movies M. Night has done and actually better than The Last Airbender. No, just no.)

My verdict for the moive is it is an awesome B-list movie. If only it had lived up to the quality of the cartoon and been an awesome A-list movie. It is most certainly not down at the level of an Uwe Boll movie or even most of M. Night's other crap.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I'd never seen the series and the girl I went with was a huge fan of it, but we both came out with the same impression - it was a nice lightshow with the worst dialogue in film history either of us had ever seen. It wasn't just that there were bad lines and some poor acting, it was bad to the level of every single line spoken jerking me out of the movie because of how contrived it sounded and how woodenly it was delivered. A real shame :(.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

How bad? AOTC Romance Scene bad, or worse?
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

It's worse than AotC, although I never thought those scenes were that horrible; bad, sure, but there's been far worst acting in the history of filmmaking.

Was dragged along even after warning people of the reviews, and not even the fighting or special effects was worth it. Not even if they were the best ever done, worthy of an Academy Award, could the effects make up for...everything else really. There was only two things noteworthy about this film: 1) the Fire Nation ships looked cool and 2) seeing Assif Mandvi play a bad guy, but even that wore off after awhile.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring