The OotS thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS thread

Post by Molyneux »

Solauren wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
Solauren wrote: Anyway, back on topic.... I'm actually surprised Haley didn't do something a little more, oh, suited to the situation. Like knock the crap out of them and take their supplies for resale elsewhere.
She's good aligned? Time wasting isn't really evil enough to warrant an ass whupping.
Depends on how much time was wasted. They appear to have deliberately lied to her too.

That earns a minor ass-whupping and some product removal, IMHO. I'm not saying she should kill them, or sell them into slavery (unlike one group of PCs I DMd for once.....) or anything, but knocking some sense into them (i.e: Don't try to con a PC) is more then called for.
Except that it's really good skin cream.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

it least it's not the other kind of Rouge's guild, try and stop Elan when you've got an organization of "Scarlet Ladies", "Soiled Doves", "Brides to all men", etc.

mind you the intel network could be staggering....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

#712 up; Neutralize Elf.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is that some kind of Dragon? V's past actions catching up with V... again? Famicide is going to kill everyone who want vengeance. Like say a dragon in love with another one but has no children with them and thus no blood link.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Blue half-dragon, with some kind of mostly unseen green reptilian holding the crossbow. So maybe.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crazedwraith wrote:Is that some kind of Dragon? V's past actions catching up with V... again? Famicide is going to kill everyone who want vengeance. Like say a dragon in love with another one but has no children with them and thus no blood link.
Survey says - likely, but not necessarily. They could be working for that illusionist.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Blue Dragons are desert dwelling dragons.
Green Dragons are forest dwelling dragons.

The two major terrains on the local contient.

I'd say 75% chance of working for the illusionist, and maybe 25% of this having to do with the familicide.

After all, why would you poison the elf unless you wanted to talk to it in a controlled manner? if you're after vengence, blow its ass away, then go talk to the Oracle about possible family connections the elf might have had....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: After all, why would you poison the elf unless you wanted to talk to it in a controlled manner? if you're after vengence, blow its ass away, then go talk to the Oracle about possible family connections the elf might have had....
Well, since poison is going to kill V just as well as anything else... Why not? A regular attack might leave V alive enough to toast your ass with a fireball. Poison as we've seen neutralised V entirely, which would allow you to smash V's skull with that there mace on the next round.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Solauren wrote: After all, why would you poison the elf unless you wanted to talk to it in a controlled manner? if you're after vengence, blow its ass away, then go talk to the Oracle about possible family connections the elf might have had....
Well, since poison is going to kill V just as well as anything else... Why not? A regular attack might leave V alive enough to toast your ass with a fireball. Poison as we've seen neutralised V entirely, which would allow you to smash V's skull with that there mace on the next round.
Poison also had the problem of being expensive (compared to say, Invisibility), and runs the risk of saving throws.

However, that's getting into tactics, and without knowing the Draconic creatures motivations (if it's even then, a thought occurs), we can't really 'know for sure.

My thought: What if the draconic creatures are illusions, and that's the Gate-guarding Illusionist himself? He did take levels in Ranger, after all.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

And....
#713 is up!

The Green guy is looking more like a Greenspawn sneak now....

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Solauren wrote:And....
#713 is up!

The Green guy is looking more like a Greenspawn sneak now....
Would be fitting - the party (or V specifically) managed to seriously step onto Tiamat's toes.
The blue one isn't a bluespawn godslayer (unfortunately), those don't have wings.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

A quick examination of the 6 types of Blue Dragonspawn shows only the Bluespawn Godslayer is humanoid. However, it's size category huge, and lacks wings. They also prefer swords and those Dragon-skull shields. They also make bad-ass Miniatures.

It is also unlikely it's an Blue Abishai Devil. They lack breath weapons, and are only Medium sized.

The Blue dude is more then likely a Half-Dragon. I can't make a judgement call as to what species it mosty like is half as well. The Blue Dude appears to be size category large, which means it's probably partially Giant. (Ogre or Hill Giant are the most likely candidates. Mind you Frost or Fire would be interesting). I suppose it could be Half-Troll, but the idea of a Half-Blue Dragon Troll is rather, uncomfortable.

Odds are, it also has level in Fighter or Barbarian.

Nice.

lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

I think there going to be a group of unlikely heroes who are out to avenge there comrade.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Poison also had the problem of being expensive (compared to say, Invisibility), and runs the risk of saving throws.
Taking out a high level wizard in one shot with only the risk of him passing a fortitude save? I'd take that chance every time.

Whatever the poison is, it has pretty much neutralized V as a combatant. Well worth the cost.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Sinewmire wrote:Taking out a high level wizard in one shot with only the risk of him passing a fortitude save? I'd take that chance every time.

Whatever the poison is, it has pretty much neutralized V as a combatant. Well worth the cost.
Except they ... weren't aiming for V. They were aiming for Elan, and V only got hit because Haley saved Elan's proverbial bacon.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Except they ... weren't aiming for V. They were aiming for Elan, and V only got hit because Haley saved Elan's proverbial bacon.
Were they? They were, weren't they. It was the basis for an entire strip.
:banghead:
Blast, forget I said anything. That'll teach ME to post at 5 am.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Sinewmire wrote:Taking out a high level wizard in one shot with only the risk of him passing a fortitude save? I'd take that chance every time.

Looking at the path of the arrow, I was never certain it was aimed for Elan. Looked to me it was dead on V all the time. Haley was just being over protective.

0714 is up
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'm calling: Linear Guild operatives.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well the fact they grabbed Elan might back that up. But do you see an evil opposites theme there?
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Crazedwraith wrote:Well the fact they grabbed Elan might back that up. But do you see an evil opposites theme there?
They are reptiles and Reptiles are evil ? :mrgreen:

I still believe they are linked to Tiamat or to the Illusionist.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

They maybe evil but they are not thematic opposites of anyone in the Order Of The Stick as far as I can tell. Which is a requirement for members of the Linear Guild. That was the point I was trying to make.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Unless Nale is changing his hiring tactics. Remember when he went 'Pompeii? What was I thinking?'

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Been a while... My observations on the post-rouge comics:

1: I've said for a long time that low-stat-targeting sneaky poisons are the best way to deal with wizards. Always nice to see others who think the same thing.

2: The arrow is aimed at V, very clearly IMHO. Haley saved Elan because she has rogue-y immunity to surprise attacks and made the "philosophically correct" (good roleplaying) decision.

3: No idea what the dragon-kin are, but the big blue one had a lightning breath weapon. /obvious I like that at least the little guy is a smart operative. "That was lucky, let's GTFO" is the right attitude to take when you get the drop on a split party. ;)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

#715 is now up!

Plot Twist.

Hope they use Zones of Truth.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I have a plan!

Does it involve Soul Selling?

NO!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!