The OotS thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS thread

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hahahaha. Awesome. You think they'd have worked out better phrasing for that sort of thing.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Ha, "Those Don't Take Over Until the Graveyard Shift"
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Hydra Burgers - with Gouda.... :-)

Good to know the Elven troops found the Resistance.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Vehrec wrote:A principle which breaks down in mass combat. Player characters against an army never ends well, and even a Kobold Warren if properly designed would be a nightmare of circumstance penalties, traps and sneak attacks from monsters with a CR of 1/4.

Also, new comic. #705
Party only against an army sure, but once you get into the teens a party heading an army can swing a rout on one side onto a rout on the other. They can singlehandedly win any section of the battle, from breaking pike formations to teleport-vaporizing divisions of archers, singlehandedly destroying cavalry charges...

With regards to the comic, I'm glad to see attention being paid to the elven resistance, and nice to see we'll probably get some action comics again. :)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Awesome, the hydra burgers guy is back!

Also, the only thing a party of adventurers can't survive is massed fire. Sooner or later some shots are going to hit. This was proved to me once when my party of level 18 adventurers was killed by thirty thousand orcs and a random number generator.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Awesome, the hydra burgers guy is back!

Also, the only thing a party of adventurers can't survive is massed fire. Sooner or later some shots are going to hit. This was proved to me once when my party of level 18 adventurers was killed by thirty thousand orcs and a random number generator.
Protection from normal missiles was your friend in AD&D, 2nd edition; total immunity to nonmagical missiles :-)

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I remember a 2ED Bard walking right through mased automatic gunfire.

And then decapitating the SS Totenkoff officer

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Raesene wrote:

Protection from normal missiles was your friend in AD&D, 2nd edition; total immunity to nonmagical missiles :-)
Yeah, but then they started throwing SPEARS.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Raesene wrote:

These days you have to work harder at it. Armor with the invulnerability function and roaring cuts it down to max damage crits being the only thing that does damage(from nonmagical missile weapons doing no more than eight damage on a normal roll anyway). It also reflects back every missile attack doing ten points of damage or less at the shooter(which means fifteen or less with the DR).

Of course, said armor sets you back 49000 gold, but that's a small price to pay for catching all the arrows with your chest and simultaneously butchering an entire orc horde. I personally recommend having a cleric on hand though, because the 144-160 hit points of damage you'll statistically take doing this is going to sting a little. :wink:
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Mass Arrow Fire?
PFFT......

Reverse Arrows
p114 (Magic of Faerun), p175 (Spell Compendium), p143 (Anauroch: The Empire of Shade)
Sorcerer/Wizard 3, 1 standard action.
Summary: You get DR 10/Magic. Any arrow that the DR stops, is turned back to whoever fired it.
Once stops 10/level damage (max 100), spell ends.

Protect 10 people with that, and watch enemy archery formations pincushion themselves.

I'd recommend using Stoneskin, and possibly Dragonskin (PHBK, Spell Compendium respectively) with it, just to be on the safe side for the arrows that get through.

Having it several wands of 'Reverse Arrows' would also be a good idea.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Raesene wrote:

Yeah, but then they started throwing SPEARS.
Still a nonmagical missile :-)

My last mage (D&D 3.5) got himself a permanent protection form arrows, and stoneskin to be safe against leakers. WE didn't face massed battles, but it was helpful several times :-)

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

It isn't the most common thing to plan for but it is possible to make a high level D&D character pretty much immune to mundane armies. For example Xykon is invulnerable to massed archery. DR15/Magic and Bludgeoning can't be bypassed by arrows at all and you'd need +8 bonus to damage to possibly get any damage through it with a bow. He's also immune to critical hits. As a lich he's immune to cold and lightning and he's made himself immune to fire. It might be possible to hurt him with acid. A very strong and lucky person with a two handed weapon and power attack could imaginably inflict a couple hitpoints of damage to him. Good DR and immunity to critical hits go pretty far all by themselves. Magic also can do wonders if you expect to have to fight an army. In an ideal scenario a warlock with Fell Flight and Tenacious Plague could fly out of arrow range and drop locust swarms until he got bored. A more conventional spellcaster has access to his various mass destruction spells and some means of disengaging at will.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

706 Is up!

Dancing Knights! Is that a real spell?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote:706 Is up!

No. No it is not. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I can tell you for sure that it has been homebrewed.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote:706 Is up!

Dancing Lights is an Illusion spell... so the joke is the guy did the wrong illusion.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear

you should have seen my Bard that invented "Voice of Thunder" illusion spell.

nice little megaphone be heard everywhere spell... (with biblical refrencies)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

707 is up!

Heh, I like his style.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

As has long been a theme in Order of the Stick, Good =/= Nice.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
The Yosemite Bear

Well the Fae and the Firbolg have a history of animosity/genocide....

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ok, that's less 'Awesome,' than 'fucking asshole' Don't trust him? You don't have to take him.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If they didn't kill him, he could reveal that there are now elves helping the human resistance movement.

Therefore, the Resistance now has magical support (wizards).

That's not an intelligence item the resistance would like the Hobgoblins to have.

Seeing how the resistance could go from 'annoying' to 'Uber-Lich has decided to remove them as an issue'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

It's obvious that they killed the hobgoblin for fun. There were any number of nonlethal ways to shut him up, it's D&D. At the very least the wisecracking makes that a clear-cut Evil act if you accept the thesis that goblins = people.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Anguirus wrote:It's obvious that they killed the hobgoblin for fun. There were any number of nonlethal ways to shut him up, it's D&D. At the very least the wisecracking makes that a clear-cut Evil act if you accept the thesis that goblins = people.
There's a reason they pointedly felt no need to tell the paladin...
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Anguirus wrote:It's obvious that they killed the hobgoblin for fun. There were any number of nonlethal ways to shut him up, it's D&D. At the very least the wisecracking makes that a clear-cut Evil act if you accept the thesis that goblins = people.
I agree from a realistic viewpoint, especially since we've seen that the goblins do have a functioning society.

From within the D&D world, this seems like the usual 'good guy banter' (Yippee ki-yay!) and their usual black and white kill-all-monsters approach to morality.