Opinion on Scott Baker's The Judging Eye ?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

What do you think of The Judging Eye

An improvement on Baker's previous masterpieces
50%
As good as usual
50%
Tolerable, still worth reading
No votes
Disappointing
No votes
Meh, what was he thinking when he wrote?
No votes

Total votes: 4

The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Opinion on Scott Baker's The Judging Eye ?

Post by The Nomad »

In your opinion, is the new book by Scott Baker as good as the previous installments of the Prince of Nothing series? After devouring The Thousandfold Thought, I wonder what will come next after my current batch of Steven Erikson and Joe Abercrombie.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Opinion on Scott Baker's The Judging Eye ?

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I thought it was good. He's opening up a new areas of metaphysics while we have crazed questing, the question of the Dunyain, and Kelhus's empire being attacked internally as it attempts a massive military campaign to stave off the rebirth of the No-God and the extermination of the human race.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I found it to be excellent. It's better written from a technical standpoint than many sections in his previous books (less waffling, less babbling etc'), even if it was a bit short on density of stuff happening compared to previous stuff.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

A major improvement. We get a new, strong female character, an interesting group of people, a certain escapade in a Non-Man Mansion that will leave you going "WTF?", and considerably more knowledge about both the Nonmen and some metaphysics.
Spoiler
I think the high points were the Mimara-Achamian-Group-o'-scalpoi travails in the abandoned Nonmen Mansion, and the parts with the young Sakarpus Prince on the march. The former because Achamian is probably my favorite character, Mimara is fascinating (and her ability is extremely unusual), and so forth, and the latter because you get to see the prince try to figure out his new position in the world, and the issues involved with an Iron Age Civilization organizing a massive crusade across thousands of miles of dangerous terrain.
Like any Bakker book, it leaves you with some very interesting philosophical debates over the metaphysics and magic.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood