The OotS thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: The OotS thread

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:yeah, them fiends are sith lawyers...

then agian where are the upper planes gonna find any lawyers.
Celia, for one. I'm sure there are Paladins that got a Master's in Law while getting one in Kicking Ass and Taking Names.

I think we've just been given proof Xykon is simply a bit absent minded and in it largely for the fun, but still quite able to think ahead and take precautions. O-Chul put that prison bar clean through Jirix. Yeah, that's probably a crit, but he still unleashed some impressive damage. We can use that to determine that Xykon's got his phylactery very well protected. His comment about it having "So many abjuration spells [he] can't remember what half of them do" would also be a good indicator he cares plenty about his soul jar.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

657 up, and V seems to have grown a conscience!
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Styphon wrote:657 up, and V seems to have grown a conscience!
First smart move he's made in quite a while. Also, I've become a complete O-Chul fanboy :D .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah, that was a good one.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Man, it must suck to have the moral of the story given to you by Xykon of all people.

Out of curiousity, what race has a +8 bonus to hearing checks?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Ford Prefect wrote:Man, it must suck to have the moral of the story given to you by Xykon of all people.

Out of curiousity, what race has a +8 bonus to hearing checks?
Skills: Liches have a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Karza wrote:
Styphon wrote:657 up, and V seems to have grown a conscience!
First smart move he's made in quite a while.
More like first heroic move in quite a while - he was halfway out the hole in the wall, one can certainly argue that the smart thing would be to keep going ( especially since he's Neutral ).
Karza wrote: Also, I've become a complete O-Chul fanboy :D .
Same. I wonder if he's got that bar again, or something new ? I note that you can't see his other hand . . . and I also note that Xykon's phylactory is on his belt, within easy grabbing range.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Keep in mind Xykon threw a Meteor Swarm and then a Maximized Lighting Bolt at O-Chul. Without hesitation. I don't think our badass Paladin can do much other than distract Xykon long enough for V to not get strangled to death. Remember, he's Epic level and a lich. The kind of punishment we saw O-Chul take shows he's high level, but not Epic. A 20th level Paladin is never going to solo an Epic lich, unless the lich happens to be an immense idiot. Xykon's more than shown that he knows what he's doing, when he takes a fight seriously.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Keep in mind Xykon threw a Meteor Swarm and then a Maximized Lighting Bolt at O-Chul. Without hesitation. I don't think our badass Paladin can do much other than distract Xykon long enough for V to not get strangled to death. Remember, he's Epic level and a lich. The kind of punishment we saw O-Chul take shows he's high level, but not Epic. A 20th level Paladin is never going to solo an Epic lich, unless the lich happens to be an immense idiot. Xykon's more than shown that he knows what he's doing, when he takes a fight seriously.
On the other hand, Xykon is already damaged - the marks are all over him. So in that sense he wouldn't be soloing him.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

last time I checked pallys are like serious dangerous to liches and other undeadies

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Given the line "Power is a +8 listen check" O'Chul needs to have the one liner: "Oh yeah, then listen to this: SMITE. EVIL" in the next comic.

Where'd V get the potions I wonder? Carrying them himself or nicked them from one of Xyon's flunkies. Still I loved Xykon's line. Even he can't tell what gender V is.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Crazedwraith wrote:Where'd V get the potions I wonder? Carrying them himself or nicked them from one of Xyon's flunkies.
Check the comic again; s/he snagged them from the dead goblin, Jirix.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Where'd V get the potions I wonder? Carrying them himself or nicked them from one of Xyon's flunkies.
Check the comic again; s/he snagged them from the dead goblin, Jirix.
I really need to stop asking questions in this thread. I'm digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole that's marked 'idiot.'

Although In my defense I was to busy reading Xykon's monologue to pay attention to the pictures.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Keep in mind Xykon threw a Meteor Swarm and then a Maximized Lighting Bolt at O-Chul. Without hesitation. I don't think our badass Paladin can do much other than distract Xykon long enough for V to not get strangled to death. Remember, he's Epic level and a lich. The kind of punishment we saw O-Chul take shows he's high level, but not Epic. A 20th level Paladin is never going to solo an Epic lich, unless the lich happens to be an immense idiot. Xykon's more than shown that he knows what he's doing, when he takes a fight seriously.
On the other hand, Xykon is already damaged - the marks are all over him. So in that sense he wouldn't be soloing him.

DR 15 magic and bludgeoning. Unless there was a magical mace lying around, pretty much the entire smite evil is going to be going towards overcoming that.

A better option might be to lay on hands as hard as he can, if charisma being his dump stat doesn't kill that too. Positive energy damage ftw! Or maybe there's a paladin spell that will help(yeah, I know, reaching). Realistically though, about the only thing he can do is provide enough of a distraction for V to make another break for it, or maybe enough of an example to get the MitD to step up to the plate.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Look at the 'skrrlch' sound effect on the lower left picture: looks like V is done for this time. "Crush your windpipe with his bare phalanges" indeed.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Nomad wrote:Look at the 'skrrlch' sound effect on the lower left picture: looks like V is done for this time. "Crush your windpipe with his bare phalanges" indeed.
O'Chul might be able to LoH V's windpipe back to breathable status.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Karza wrote:First smart move he's made in quite a while.
More like first heroic move in quite a while - he was halfway out the hole in the wall, one can certainly argue that the smart thing would be to keep going ( especially since he's Neutral ).
How in the Nine Hells did I manage to miss that... I just thought he was trying to hide, I didn't even realize he was halfway out of the room :D .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Karza wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Karza wrote:First smart move he's made in quite a while.
How in the Nine Hells did I manage to miss that... I just thought he was trying to hide, I didn't even realize he was halfway out of the room :D .
It's OK, you just failed a Spot check, happens to the best of us :lol: .

Judging by the marks on him, almost all the damage Xykon did to O'Chul has been healed by the potions (no more burn marks, far fewer red marks) so he's at least recovered enough that it would take Xykon an additional set of spells to kill him. Maybe he can do something incredible in those 2 rounds. It is O'Chul after all and I think we've all learned not to count the man out.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Huh. Interesting philosophy on the nature of power, even if it is kinda a tautology. And there's something entertaining about a lich willing to dirty his hands.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Vehrec wrote:Huh. Interesting philosophy on the nature of power, even if it is kinda a tautology.
It's specific to D&D (or rather, most RPGs), in that all kinds of character advancement are carefully balanced and levels/challenge rating comparison is a pretty accurate way to rate encounters. Real life isn't so neat or balanced. Though the point about knowing how to use power being as important as the power itself probably does carry over to real life.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Keep in mind Xykon threw a Meteor Swarm and then a Maximized Lighting Bolt at O-Chul. Without hesitation. I don't think our badass Paladin can do much other than distract Xykon long enough for V to not get strangled to death.
A thought I just had about this; if he can snatch that convieniently hanging phylactery and reach throwing range of the Monster in the Darkness, maybe IT can break the thing. It's ridiculously strong after all.

O-Chul : "Bite down on this morsel for me, my friend."

Monster : "Oooo, shiny ! What's it taste like ?"

* CRUNCH ! *
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Assuming Xykon doesn't know Power Word Kill. Unfortunately for our dear Paladin, there's no way in hell he's been taken to 150 or more HP. O-Chul may have a trick up his sleeve, but considering how soundly his ass was kicked the first time around, I can't see it ending well for him, even if Xykon doesn't have Power Word Kill. He still has a number of high level spells left to take someone out after only two potions, even if they are Cure Critical.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

That's 3 potions, actually... unless that's something else in V's other hand in the 10th panel. :wink:
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Assuming Xykon doesn't know Power Word Kill. Unfortunately for our dear Paladin, there's no way in hell he's been taken to 150 or more HP. O-Chul may have a trick up his sleeve, but considering how soundly his ass was kicked the first time around, I can't see it ending well for him, even if Xykon doesn't have Power Word Kill. He still has a number of high level spells left to take someone out after only two potions, even if they are Cure Critical.
He shouldn't have PW:K. Unless he pulls another Epic Feat out of his ass, he should be limited to Energy Drain, Meteor Swarm, and Soul Bind for his ninth level spells. And the most the potions really could have been is Cure Serious.

But nitpicks aside, barring another upset, no, this isn't going to end well.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Magic weapon is a level 1 paladin spell and the steel bar is a bludgeoning weapon. It is at least theoretically possible for O-Chul to harm Xykon. I don't think that's going to be what happens, but it is possible.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.