The Dark Knight (GODDAMN SPOILERS)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I am not sure why the History channel is playing them but they are, and they are quite good.
They've been showing the Star Wars tech show also. Just good marketing to roll them out when there are movies in the theaters.

My only nitpick with the Knight was that there was no Batcave. It better be spectacular in the next movie.

A big positive was that it was much brighter than Begins, making it easier to watch Batman kick ass.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

by the way, where does the 158 million that I am seeing the Dark Knight did over the weekend fit into the record books?
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Galvatron wrote:One thing that continues to bug me about the Nolanverse Batman is his costume. The mask is awful and looks downright painful for Bale to wear. Personally, as shitty as Batman & Robin was, I think it had the best batmask so far. At least it didn't look like it was too small for Clooney's head...

Well...from what I understand...the costume is designed to be more flexible...while giving us the impression that there is stil armor protection.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Goddamn I love those bat nipples.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The mask is awful and looks downright painful for Bale to wear
Can't take him seriously looking at him in the face. The unnecessary put-on throaty voice doesn't help. The actual suit itself is cool, I like it a lot.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Vympel wrote:
Can't take him seriously looking at him in the face. The unnecessary put-on throaty voice doesn't help. The actual suit itself is cool, I like it a lot.
I got used to it after my 4th viewing of Batman Begins. You've got to love that line though.

Flass: I swear to god
Batman: Swear to me
Get some
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Vympel wrote:
I get the feeling that, in-universe, the batvoice is due to some gadget under the mask that he uses to both disguise his real voice and to make himself sound scarier to thugs. Why else would he talk that way in private with people who know his secret identity?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stark wrote:Yeah same; I've actually seen this movie twice now (which isn't something I do) and it's very clear what he's doing. Some of the stuff people here ask seems pretty strange to me sometimes. :)
Have you figured out Harvey Dent's "he murdered five people, two of them cops" bodycount? Because I know he let Ramirez live and I can't think of any other cops he'd have killed. Plus I only added up to four, and that's assuming he killed that bartender along with the first dirty cop, which he wouldn't have much reason to do.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Death from the Sea wrote:by the way, where does the 158 million that I am seeing the Dark Knight did over the weekend fit into the record books?
It blew the top off the record books. Biggest opening of all time.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Galvatron wrote:Why else would he talk that way in private with people who know his secret identity?
Force of habit ala "I'm in the batsuit <shift voice>"?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Galvatron wrote: I get the feeling that, in-universe, the batvoice is due to some gadget under the mask that he uses to both disguise his real voice and to make himself sound scarier to thugs. Why else would he talk that way in private with people who know his secret identity?
You'd think a gadget would do a better job at concealing his voice than making it sound like he has a frog in his throat.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Death from the Sea wrote:by the way, where does the 158 million that I am seeing the Dark Knight did over the weekend fit into the record books?
It blew the top off the record books. Biggest opening of all time.
kickass.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

General Zod wrote:
Galvatron wrote: I get the feeling that, in-universe, the batvoice is due to some gadget under the mask that he uses to both disguise his real voice and to make himself sound scarier to thugs. Why else would he talk that way in private with people who know his secret identity?
You'd think a gadget would do a better job at concealing his voice than making it sound like he has a frog in his throat.
Well, to be fair, all the other movie Batmen and even the TAS version had deeper, more gravelly voices whilst in the mask. The only reason we're scrutinizing the Nolanverse version is because we demand perfection.

Hey, what do you guys think of Paul Giamatti as Penguin?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Galvatron wrote: Well, to be fair, all the other movie Batmen and even the TAS version had deeper, more gravelly voices whilst in the mask. The only reason we're scrutinizing the Nolanverse version is because we demand perfection.
I'm not demanding perfection, just a voice that doesn't sound like someone who has a hoarse throat from shouting all night. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Well, if Bale ends up doing time for assaulting his mom and sister, you may not have to hear it again. :?
The Wench
Youngling

Post by The Wench »

Galvatron wrote:Well, if Bale ends up doing time for assaulting his mom and sister, you may not have to hear it again. :?
Oh..but he denied those allegations... I just saw that on Yahoo and thought it came right out of left field. Whether he walks on that or not, you have to admit that's perfect timing...
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

RogueIce wrote:
Stark wrote:Yeah same; I've actually seen this movie twice now (which isn't something I do) and it's very clear what he's doing. Some of the stuff people here ask seems pretty strange to me sometimes. :)
Have you figured out Harvey Dent's "he murdered five people, two of them cops" bodycount? Because I know he let Ramirez live and I can't think of any other cops he'd have killed. Plus I only added up to four, and that's assuming he killed that bartender along with the first dirty cop, which he wouldn't have much reason to do.
I think that the black police officer in the hospital that the Joker shot may have been accredited to Dent. That was the only other cop that I could think of.
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

RogueIce wrote:
Watched it again last night and made sure to count.

The Cop in the bar.
Maroni and his driver.

Those are the for sure on screen deaths. So we are at three total and one cop.

Now there is also Ramirez, who could be assumed dead if she woke up and split because she is a known traitor now and which would make four and two cops.

The two cops in the hospital that The Joker killed that were guarding Harvey could have been attributed to him, but then that would make six and four cops. So I say scratch them.

Back in the Ramirez scene when she calls Gordon's wife, she says she will get rid of the two cops guarding her, but Dent knocks her out before she makes that call, so I think Dent may have killed those two cops to get Gordon's wife and kids.

If you don't attribute Ramirez, and the cops in the Hospital, that makes Five all together, but three cops. If you assume that they know the cop in the bar was dirty (since no one cares when dirty cops get killed) then maybe Gordon wasn't considering him a cop death. That would make five dead and two uniformed cops.

Or they just fucked up. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

havokeff wrote: Maroni and his driver.
Maroni could have survived from the car flipping since Dent did (albeit seriously injured), so he's not really a confirmed kill imo.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

havokeff wrote:
Or they just fucked up. :D
That seems to be the most logical.
Get some
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I "finally" got around to watching The Dark Knight earlier. I don't want to say it was barely enjoyable, but it certainly had parts I thought were god-awful.

To begin with, every scene that had the Joker in it after the pencil-shoving scene was annoying. His nervous tick was annoying, his voice was annoying, his motivation was annoying, and all his contrived schemes were annoying. Heath Ledger may have done a great job acting as the villain Nolan wanted him to act, but he was not the Joker I wanted to see. The fact that had his hospital detonator actually worked like he seemed to want it to, he would have blown himself up only underscores just how unimpressed I was with him.

Harvey Dent, on the other hand, was fantastic. I loved Eckhardt's performance (except for the, again, contrived way in which he let the Joker go), his transformation, physically and mentally, into Two-Face, his rationalization for his actions, and his rage.

The ending, too, was fantastic. Batman's sacrifice for Gotham is just so wonderfully done. The only scene that came as close to being that good was the convict throwing the detonator out the window.

A fair movie, but I think Iron Man was better.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

The fact that had his hospital detonator actually worked like he seemed to want it to, he would have blown himself up only underscores just how unimpressed I was with him.
I got the impression that the Joker didn't care if he lived or died, as long as he had a good time in the process.
Harvey Dent, on the other hand, was fantastic. I loved Eckhardt's performance (except for the, again, contrived way in which he let the Joker go), his transformation, physically and mentally, into Two-Face, his rationalization for his actions, and his rage.
The Deathstalker is with you on this. Eckhardt did a great job, considering he had to keep up with Ledger's performance. Eckhardt should be considered for an Oscar nomination.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I got the impression that the Joker didn't care if he lived or died, as long as he had a good time in the process.
That's part of it. Notice how he was laughing his ass off when Batman nearly knocked him off that tower near the end, only to catch him just before hitting the ground? He doesn't go out of his way to get himself killed, but he doesn't really seem bothered by it either.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Paolo wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:So if not Harvey, then who? Some of Batman's other villains are too unrealistic for Nolan's style. The Penguin is not that farfetched and is more well-known than most. However, I've read that Nolan isn't too fond of that character.

They've already used Batman's most ingenious and large-scale villain (Ras Al Ghul), his archenemy (Joker), and one of his most personal foes (Two Face). Wouldn't Penguin, or most other villains seem like a big step down from those?
To who, though? I'd wager most non-fans of the franchise (myself included) never heard of Ras al'Ghul before Batman Begins. Batman and the Joker go together like peanut butter and jelly, but for the most part the only basis I have for that impression from a very brief scan of the literature and the first Batman. You might say that DK's ruined me for any other interpretation of the Joker. I would've never known Harvey Dent was as important to the Wayne mythos as he was in Dark Knight if I hadn't read about it somewhere: Tommy Lee Jones' performance in Batman Forever as forgettably campy as it was.

If Nolan and his team can pull off the same magic twice, he can pick any villian in the Rogue Gallery as far as I'm concerned. Reboot away.
It's not really about the audience knowing the character beforehand. I'm talking about story potential. Ra's Al Ghul is a terrorist leader with worldwide reach; that allowed him to threaten the entire city with destruction in the first movie. Joker is an utter sociopath devoted to causing chaos. If he didn't threaten Gotham with outright destruction like Ra's did, he certainly did a good job of fucking the city up. Harvey Dent is always portrayed as a friend and ally of Bruce Wayne's. That automatically gives his eventual transformation into Two Face far more tragedy. These guys aren't regarded as among Batman's top villains just because they're well known, but because they bring the most to a story.

How will second-rate villains like the Penguin, Riddler, etc. hold a candle to these guys? I'm not saying it can't be done, and if anybody can bring a fresh perspective to these character's it's probably the current team of Nolan and Goyer. I'd actually like to see some ideas on which one of Batman's other villains could be brought to the screen, given the requirements of fitting with Nolan's pseudo-realistic style and being a big enough threat to support a huge summer blockbuster.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Galvatron wrote:
Vympel wrote:
I get the feeling that, in-universe, the batvoice is due to some gadget under the mask that he uses to both disguise his real voice and to make himself sound scarier to thugs. Why else would he talk that way in private with people who know his secret identity?
I remember in Batman Begins there was a scene where Bruce is getting fitted out with his suit and I remember him putting what looked like a mike/some sort of chip inside his headpiece. Did I imagine it?