Wanted reviews (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

When Wesley asked me that, I said out loud, "Well, I've not killed my dad, for a start. I think that puts me ahead."
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Saw the movie.

I loved it, the whole thing. I never even heard of the comic, but from what i understand it's the usual "deconstruction" bullshit that i hate. The movie on the other hand was just an action movie and i truly enjoyed every minute of it.

My girlfriend did too, she seemed to feel a true kinship with our designated hero, partly because our boss at work is a prick who should die in a fire (like Janis) and partly because i think she wants to ride James MacAvoy like a pony.

Ironically, my name is James too, which will now make me really insecure as i'm unsure if she's calling out my name or the guy from Wanted's name. :?

At any rate Wanted was a really beautiful action flick, it was like liquid sex poured down my pants, and i give it four stars. The opening shoot out whith the guy, Mr. X, who was in Doomsday was easily the best shootout i've seen in years. It ranks up there with the Continuous Hospital Gunfight from the end of Hard Boiled and the big finale of Rambo 4.
Kanye West Saves.

Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I didn't like it.
4/10. Would be even less without Morgan freeman and Angelina nudeness.

The action scenes were just out right ridiculous and although entertaining on some level were making me chuckle with how ridiculous they were not with how entertaining they were.

I just couldn't get past the 'plot' in that they are essentially assassinating people at random and when the morality of this is questioned the justification of it is that the people may do something bad later so its all right to kill them!

I know that such pop corn movies are not supposed to have sensible plots, and at least this one isn't as stupid as some others like the Matrix but it left me having great difficulty caring about any of the characters, especially the main 'hero' seeing as their all psychotic murderers.

Morgan freeman ruled however, as he always does.
What was the deal with the "untraceable" bullets?
I assume because he was making them himself there was no way to actually trace where he was doing it.
As what was with all the antique guns his father used?
Flintlock machine guns. I actually like that.
That's a total 180 from her personality in the comics, i.e., cynical and hedonistic.
You mean shes ok with the random assassination without having a fundamentalist religious mindset to justify them to her in the comics?
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

Darth Tanner wrote: You mean shes ok with the random assassination without having a fundamentalist religious mindset to justify them to her in the comics?
She's actually a supervillain in the comic. They all are. The comic basically riffs on the DC Universe and asks what would happen if the bad guys won. Wesley works for a more mad-scientisty version of Lex Luthor. Fox is a more hardcore Catwoman who uses guns instead of whips.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

You know, that would have been a really great mindless action movie...if it had had a single character who was NOT a gigantic twat. Honestly, every single character just makes me hate them - the main character is a whiny little jerk, Angelina Jolie is insane, Morgan Freeman is evil...heck, all of the Fraternity are essentially either nuts or evil.

Either the loom is somehow infallible, in which case Wesley should have killed himself already along with the rest of the Fraternity, or it's not, in which case the entire damn movie was pointless and the Fraternity should never have existed anyway.

Oh yeah, and I have never seen a single damn movie where the storyline is "Fate is undeniable!" that was not a steaming pile of shit. Look at Terminator 2 versus 3, for example.

Overall, I'd give this a C-; it doesn't quite rate a D because the action scenes were fun, even though I hated every damned character in 'em. Even Cross doesn't seem to give a fuck about collateral damage. Second-worst movie I've seen this year, right above Jumper.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Molyneux wrote:Either the loom is somehow infallible, in which case Wesley should have killed himself already along with the rest of the Fraternity, or it's not, in which case the entire damn movie was pointless and the Fraternity should never have existed anyway.
Actually, was that not a fake made by Sloan? Wesley and his father's names may not actually have been called out by the "Loom of Fate."
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Actually, was that not a fake made by Sloan? Wesley and his father's names may not actually have been called out by the "Loom of Fate."
You say that as if anything that thing ever spat out wasn't a phony created by Sloan or his predecessors. I think my previous post in this topic lays out a solid theory on how the messages can be faked.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I watched the movie, and I have to say, I was sorely dissappointed, the plot was stupid, which left the action scenes, which were too over the top to enjoy. If you want to see GOOD over the top action scenes, watch Kung Fu Hustle. I'm not a PETA member or anything, but the Army of Rats scene I found uncomfortable.

The characters, well, it was hard to sympathize with any of them, Fox was the closest, and she was nuts.

So, is Wesley going to shoot himself in the head after shooting Sloan because his name came up on the loom, or was that the fake loom?

What's with the intricately made bullets? Why are they so detailed and complicated? That's another thing that made me :roll:
My girlfriend did too, she seemed to feel a true kinship with our designated hero, partly because our boss at work is a prick who should die in a fire (like Janis) and partly because i think she wants to ride James MacAvoy like a pony.
Who wouldn't want to ride like a pony with him? :lol:
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Actually, I have to admit the collateral damage was a huge gripe. Especially for the train scene. Kill one to save a thousand but, also kill 100 in the process. I also didn't see the point in Wesley killing "The Russian" (I forgot his actual name).
Get some
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Molyneux wrote: Either the loom is somehow infallible, in which case Wesley should have killed himself already along with the rest of the Fraternity, or it's not, in which case the entire damn movie was pointless and the Fraternity should never have existed anyway.
Just because the loom is infallible doesn't mean that Wesley had to follow it. I never got the idea that he was a fanatical follower of the Fraternity. I really doubt he would kill himself even if his name realy came up. In his short monologue after the climax, he says something along the lines of "I'm taking my life back from Janice,a nd the fraternity, and fate.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Schuyler Colfax wrote:Actually, I have to admit the collateral damage was a huge gripe. Especially for the train scene. Kill one to save a thousand but, also kill 100 in the process. I also didn't see the point in Wesley killing "The Russian" (I forgot his actual name).
I don't think they ever gave it. He was just the crazy guy who would've been likeable if not for the whole 'blowing up rats' part.
Just because the loom is infallible doesn't mean that Wesley had to follow it. I never got the idea that he was a fanatical follower of the Fraternity. I really doubt he would kill himself even if his name realy came up. In his short monologue after the climax, he says something along the lines of "I'm taking my life back from Janice,a nd the fraternity, and fate.
So if the loom is infallible, then by not following its orders he's choosing to be a jackass, just like he had for the entire rest of the movie.

The only time he came close to being a likeable character was when he deconstructed Janice, and he ruined that at the end of it.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I loved the movie but, I did have a couple of gripes with it. I already mention collateral damage. The thing was, even though I never read the graphic novel I could tell in the beginning that it was set up like the way it was in the novel, it had that zany, out there feel to it. It became a bit of your standard action movie once the train sequence began and didn't pick up again until Fox tried to kill Wesley right before he shot the class and fell through to escape. As for the rats thing, I'm from New York, we feaking hate those things up there.

My question is, how the hell would you make a sequel out of this? Every single important character is dead, except Wesley (unless you count Janice, his best friends, and his ex). The only thing I could think of is introducing a new character that might have been manipulating Sloan or something like that, I already know that would suck.
Get some
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Schuyler Colfax wrote:I loved the movie but, I did have a couple of gripes with it. I already mention collateral damage. The thing was, even though I never read the graphic novel I could tell in the beginning that it was set up like the way it was in the novel, it had that zany, out there feel to it. It became a bit of your standard action movie once the train sequence began and didn't pick up again until Fox tried to kill Wesley right before he shot the class and fell through to escape. As for the rats thing, I'm from New York, we feaking hate those things up there.

My question is, how the hell would you make a sequel out of this? Every single important character is dead, except Wesley (unless you count Janice, his best friends, and his ex). The only thing I could think of is introducing a new character that might have been manipulating Sloan or something like that, I already know that would suck.
I grew up in Canarsie. I am currently living in Long Island. I have never NOT lived in New York. I still find blowing up rats to be a bad thing.
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

I thought the movie was a fun.

I don't understand the problem with blowing up rats. They are nasty little things that do little more than eat, shit, and carry disease. Fuck em'
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Kon_El wrote:I thought the movie was a fun.

I don't understand the problem with blowing up rats. They are nasty little things that do little more than eat, shit, and carry disease. Fuck em'
Domesticated rats are fucking adorable. As far as wild ones go, I'm not going to protest against people trying to keep them out of human habitation, but if you don't see an ethical problem with strapping bombs to them, then try thinking of it if he'd strapped bombs to kittens. Or dogs.
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Molyneux wrote:

Domesticated rats are fucking adorable. As far as wild ones go, I'm not going to protest against people trying to keep them out of human habitation, but if you don't see an ethical problem with strapping bombs to them, then try thinking of it if he'd strapped bombs to kittens. Or dogs.
Kittens and dogs never caused a plague that wiped out half the population of Europe.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Kon_El wrote:
Molyneux wrote:

Kittens and dogs never caused a plague that wiped out half the population of Europe.
Neither have rats. It's the fleas you have a problem with, fleas that can live on cats or dogs in a pinch, or humans, just as well as on rats.