Venture Bros. "The Buddy System" Reactions

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rate the Episode

58%
25%
8%
No votes
8%

Total votes: 12

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Venture Bros. "The Buddy System" Reactions

Post by Eframepilot »

Pretty good episode. Especially good episode for Dean. The Adult Swim website was stalling in the middle; fortunately, the missing clips were listed on their boards: http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/b ... 085#M28085 .
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

That was pretty refreshing break from the recent string of GCI-oriented episodes.
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Woah, do they usually put them up this early?
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Every Friday night at 6 PM eastern.
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Eh, well too bad about that frozen bit. Good thing it probably won't have that when the ep airs tomorrow. (even so, I'm hooked just by the first seven or so minutes...he he "killing blackulas with a sword is cool, but you know what else is cool? safety!")
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I thought it was a very amusing episode, and finally some good scenes with Brock and the boys. The Johnny Quest breakdown and emergency cloning were priceless.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I agree that this episode was a nice break from the Guild-centric focus of the last couple of episodes. Things I liked:

* Rusty: "I left Neverland and married Wendy; what do you think happened?"

* The Muderous Moppets: I love that they've been getting increased screen-time this season.

* Johnny Quest alumni: Dr. Zin's cameo and his posing with Hatred had me laughing my ass off.

And of course, it looks like another wild card has been introduced in the season arc: Dermott. Any thoughts on the identity of the mother? Possibly Myra Brandish?
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

JME2 wrote:And of course, it looks like another wild card has been introduced in the season arc: Dermott. Any thoughts on the identity of the mother? Possibly Myra Brandish?
I don't think so, but only because I think the implied father is Brock. Brock definitely had a harder time dealing with Dermott's crap, thus making it much more likely from a plot-foil standpoint that Dermott is his kid.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Grasscutter wrote:
JME2 wrote:And of course, it looks like another wild card has been introduced in the season arc: Dermott. Any thoughts on the identity of the mother? Possibly Myra Brandish?
I don't think so, but only because I think the implied father is Brock. Brock definitely had a harder time dealing with Dermott's crap, thus making it much more likely from a plot-foil standpoint that Dermott is his kid.
I'd say it was Leslie from the college episode, but then I think there's too long of a gap between then and the 'present' for it to be the case.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Nice episode, and a good change from flashbacks and Guild stuff. The Monarch, as ever, steals whatever scene he's in, but I especially loved seeing Dean for more than ten seconds and with him dishing out some violence to boot.

Dermott still seems like Myra's offspring to me. I just got that impression from the meeting in the car, rather than the kid's attitude.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

He seems way too normal to be Myra's son. He got his ass kicked by Dean, for fuck's sake. Would anyone with an interest in fighting and weapons be such a pushover if they were raised by a former OSI operative? She'd definitely want to introduce the boys to their new brother.

And not one mention of Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's new costume? For shame.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Setzer wrote: And not one mention of Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's new costume? For shame.
The Murderous Moppets seemed to like it... :D

And yeah, getting your ass kicked by Dean (as nice as it was) does not speak highly of the punk being one of Myra's spawn.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

For the sake of continuity, I'm willing to bet Dermott's mom is Leslie from the college episode, as stated above. If it was Myra, she'd have done something batshit crazy.

However, I don't think we are going to see much of Dermott. That seems like a one bit thing.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Dermott's mom had dark hair in the last shot of her and Dermott in the car, so both Leslie and Myra should be excluded by that. I don't think that she has appeared before.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Gil Hamilton wrote:However, I don't think we are going to see much of Dermott. That seems like a one bit thing.
I don't know. The main arc of this season seems to be the brewing war between Monarch and Hatred over Venture, but it's possible that Dermott and his mother may be either a seperate plot or wild cards in this conflict.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Setzer wrote:He seems way too normal to be Myra's son. He got his ass kicked by Dean, for fuck's sake. Would anyone with an interest in fighting and weapons be such a pushover if they were raised by a former OSI operative?
It depends on how much she babied him. He came off exactly as 99% of all the blowhards I knew in highschool like him. The ones who wore military gear, constantly bragged about how tough they were and how much "badass" shit they'd done. So seeing him get his ass kicked like that wasn't at all surprising. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Also, I think this summer camp scheme is the only moneymaking idea Dr Venture's ever had that doesn't revolve around his father's company in some way. Admittedly, he's still relying on his past glories in the present, but it's a step forward, isn't it?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

No. The E-den is not exactly a good way of raking in cash when it means disembowelled kids. It reminds me of something DHARMA would have made and left forgotten on the island in Lost.
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

What are you talking about? That kid was just fine.

Also, in a hilarious/weird/very awkward twist, Hank could turn out to be Dermott's dad. ( :shock: )
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I mainly meant the idea for the day camp. At least he's trying to move out of his father's shadow.