Reactions to Indiana Jones IV (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Indiana Jones and the American Graffiti Extraterrestrial. It wasn't all garbage but it gave me a better appreciation of Temple of Doom. This had none of the Indy charm in it, the villains had none of the menace of even the Thugee, and aliens just seemed out of place. Is Spielberg going to make another Jaws sequel and throw aliens in it?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Mark S wrote:Indiana Jones and the American Graffiti Extraterrestrial. It wasn't all garbage but it gave me a better appreciation of Temple of Doom. This had none of the Indy charm in it, the villains had none of the menace of even the Thugee, and aliens just seemed out of place. Is Spielberg going to make another Jaws sequel and throw aliens in it?
No, but Lucas is.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Superman wrote:
Mark S wrote:Indiana Jones and the American Graffiti Extraterrestrial. It wasn't all garbage but it gave me a better appreciation of Temple of Doom. This had none of the Indy charm in it, the villains had none of the menace of even the Thugee, and aliens just seemed out of place. Is Spielberg going to make another Jaws sequel and throw aliens in it?
No, but Lucas is.
I maintain that this will not be over until the remake of Schindler's List with the aliens rescuing the jews from the camp comes out.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Will the Nazis try to shoot the aliens with walky-talkies?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Drooling Iguana wrote:Will the Nazis try to shoot the aliens with walky-talkies?
Almost certainly.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

JME2 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Well, they ARE awesome, man. Speed Racer, Armageddon, and eyeballs exploding.

General Grevious was awesome. Did you know that the awesomest thing he said in ROTS, aside from "You LOSE, General Kenobi!" was "Activate RAY SHIELDS!!!" ?
Eh, what about, "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku!" 8)
"But you forget, I trained the Jedi who killed Count Dooku" :P

Goddamn, that would've been an awesome line. Too bad it didn't make it in the film, only the book.

Goddamn Kenobi!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I am consistently amazed by the people who will accept face-melting bible ghosts, heart-ripping cultists, and immortality granting cups and then say a few aliens cross the line on the paranormal stuff.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

SylasGaunt wrote:I am consistently amazed by the people who will accept face-melting bible ghosts, heart-ripping cultists, and immortality granting cups and then say a few aliens cross the line on the paranormal stuff.
It's completely irrational, but those kind of things just worked and the aliens didn't.

My own take on why? Because with the face melting and the like, we never see God/Kali/whatever and mete out divine vengeance, it's all implied and creepy and thus maintains some mystique. But the aliens, it's all too neatly explained and tied up.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

I re-watched ROTLA last night, and damn I've forgotten how good of movie that is.

It has comparitively little action, really. The movie creates itself with atmosphere. The beginning with the dramatic march through the jungle, Indy looking on like a mad scientist as his diggers up the Arc room in a thunderstorm, the creepiness between Marion and the Nazis in the tent.

I think Crystal Skull was a passable flick, but they should have cut out some plot to give screen time to long shots of character interaction of dialogue-less drama.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Pulp Hero wrote:I think Crystal Skull was a passable flick, but they should have cut out some plot to give screen time to long shots of character interaction of dialogue-less drama.
Except for some bits that were slowed down such as the diner they were in, the movie kept going at 100 mph which was just plain awful. It was as if they were trying to cram 6 hours of story into the two hours they gave it.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

So what's the deal with the Grail? It apparently doesn't grant immortality, because Dr. Jones I is dead (or does one need to continuously drink from the cup in order to be immortal?)
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pelranius wrote:So what's the deal with the Grail? It apparently doesn't grant immortality, because Dr. Jones I is dead (or does one need to continuously drink from the cup in order to be immortal?)
Apparently you have to constantly drink from it in order to get immortality.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I think it's more the fact that you can't cross the seal, although I'm not sure how that would work since according to the movie the Grail wasn't brought to that cave/temple place until several centuries AD.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Pulp Hero wrote:I think Crystal Skull was a passable flick, but they should have cut out some plot to give screen time to long shots of character interaction of dialogue-less drama.
Except for some bits that were slowed down such as the diner they were in, the movie kept going at 100 mph which was just plain awful. It was as if they were trying to cram 6 hours of story into the two hours they gave it.
I thought the pacing was fine, it was just that there were so many superflous elements (Ray Winstone's character could have been removed entirely with no bearing on the plot) that took up time that would have been better spent fleshing out characters and plot points.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

JME2 wrote:* The Score: While the Star Wars prequels started it, this film is a final confirmation for me that John Williams needs to throw in the towel. I'm sorry, but he hit his peak before the end of the 80's and almost everything he's done since has been flat. A lot of it felt out of place at points (ex. the Grail Knight theme after the ship takes off). Oh well, at least we cheered at the Raiders March.
I don't think Williams began to lose it until after Jurassic Park to me, but the score for Raiders of the Lost is pretty shit hard act to follow as demonstrated with these excerpts from YouTube:

Tanis Map Room

Convoy Battle

Epilogue and Credits
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

phongn wrote:
Pelranius wrote:So what's the deal with the Grail? It apparently doesn't grant immortality, because Dr. Jones I is dead (or does one need to continuously drink from the cup in order to be immortal?)
Apparently you have to constantly drink from it in order to get immortality.
You cannot die of anything save Old Age. The Grail Knight cheated by continuing to drink, yet even then he was aged and infirm.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I was pretty disappointed that they showed the flying saucer at the end. It just wasn't necessary. The Soviets were okay, but definitely not the best villains. I wasn't wild about the happy ending with the marriage and all, either. That part didn't feel like Indiana Jones. Getting married just says "And Indy finally grew up ... in his early 70's", which is cute, but Indiana Jones should never grow up. :) It's like James Bond settling down into a quiet, suburban neighborhood with Money Penny.

Overall though, I enjoyed it. It got a little silly in some parts, but it had that Indiana Jones feel to it most of the way through. Indy and his son worked well together, and there were a couple of nice "Indy's becoming his father" moments. For example, when Indy mutters things like "This is intolerable", or on the motorcycle when his son chuckles after decapitating Marcus' statue and Indy gives him a dirty look. The warehouse scenes were also pretty nifty.

And I liked the whole 50's theme; it was done very well. Lucas must've been rolling around like a pig in shit writing those scenes.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Big Orange wrote:
JME2 wrote:* The Score: While the Star Wars prequels started it, this film is a final confirmation for me that John Williams needs to throw in the towel. I'm sorry, but he hit his peak before the end of the 80's and almost everything he's done since has been flat. A lot of it felt out of place at points (ex. the Grail Knight theme after the ship takes off). Oh well, at least we cheered at the Raiders March.
I don't think Williams began to lose it until after Jurassic Park to me.
Good point.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

John Williams never lost it. Get your ears checked.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote:John Williams never lost it. Get your ears checked.
I gotta disagree. In terms of Star Wars, he shot his last live round with The Phantom Menace, and phoned it in for the next two. Heck, in RotS there wasn't one piece of memorable music - Battle of the Heroes was ok, but that's it. Really, where the hell is the equivalent to the Tanis Map Room scene lately? There's none.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Vympel wrote:
I gotta disagree. In terms of Star Wars, he shot his last live round with The Phantom Menace, and phoned it in for the next two. Heck, in RotS there wasn't one piece of memorable music - Battle of the Heroes was ok, but that's it. Really, where the hell is the equivalent to the Tanis Map Room scene lately? There's none.
"anakin Vs Obi-Wan" was great, as was (your aforementioned) " Battle of the Heroes ", and the ROTS version of the End credits/themes are among my favourite. (His version of the HP theme music worked very well for the first few movies as well, even if he didn't continue with them)
I agree that since then he hasn't done much.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I loved the 50s atmosphere and foreshadowing at times. Atomic cafe= Wait, isn't that Nevada? Oh Cool. that's where they developed and tested................ oops, indy caught in them. Hey, that's an amphibious tractor, used in WW2, DUKW. Oops, there goes the waterfall.

It helped that the local tv channels showed the previous 3 movies, although once again, I missed Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade AGAIN. It refreshed the memory sufficient enough that we could catch the homage to the previous movies."Tickets! Shells!"

However, I just have to agree that the last bit and riddle solving was a bit "off". Don't know how they could had fixed that but well........
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I liked the 50's theme too. That actually was done well; the scene with the greasers fighting the jocks in the diner reminded me of something out of "Back to the Future." Definitely one of the highlights of the movie. That and the scene where Indy blows that poisoned dart back into the guy's mouth. That was awesome.

The aliens didn't ruin the movie for me, but I think they made for a piss poor story. Indy is an archaeologist; the cultural and historical material for a story is almost endless, and Lucas gives us more fucking aliens. Ok, that doesn't completely make the movie shit... but the CGI overkill makes it pretty damn close (that and the cluster fuck of a story). I'm really tired of watching cartoonish movies. I'd rather see campy face melting like in "Raiders" any day of the week than cartoonish scenes that frankly don't fit in to this genre. The previous three just looked so much better.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Vympel wrote:
Attack of the Clones was weak, but Revenge of the Sith had Anakin's Dream, Anakin's Betrayal and Anakin vs Obi-Wan -all brilliant pieces of music that more than made up for it. The Harry Potters themes were better than the movies. His score for Memoirs of a Geisha was about as good a score as you'll hear (if you can stomach such a bad movie). The latest Indy score was mostly a re-hash of the old scores, but the music when Spalko and the other Russians get in the truck in the jungle is awesome. The way Williams uses his old cues is also great. My favorite part of the movie is when Indy climbs though the top of the truck and the old theme (Indy and Marion) wells up in the background.

So there's nothing wrong with Williams' music. He's still the best ever (yes, better than Max Steiner).
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Does anyone remember the "Young Indiana Jones" tv series? He mentions riding with Pancho Villa in this movie and something is telling me that was a reference to one of those episodes but I'm not sure?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.