The Great Hunt - Bullseye, Hawkeye, Green Arrow

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Praxis wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Praxis wrote:*snip image*
Yeah, UHE wins.

However,
http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... 77158.html
is making me rethink regular Hawkeye. He's pretty hard core as well.
That is one of the most hilariously stupid things I have ever seen. Almost as bad as Bullseye's brain tumor.
Oh, I agree it's terribly written and he talks way too much. But the fact that he won is still impressive.
So does he have superhumanly strong hands, or deadly razor-sharp fingernails or something? Come on, a playing card is sharper and has more mass behind it than a fingernail, and it's impossible to give someone more than a scratch with one. For a "human" character to do something like that doesn't just strain suspension of disbelief, it snaps its neck and wears its skull like a tiara.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Ted C wrote:Yes, Bullseye can turn anything within reach into a thrown weapon, but I think he's just as happy to nail you with a sniper rifle.
Actually he dislikes using firearms because he is insane and prefers using improvised projectiles and mixing it up in hand-to-hand. I can only think of two times in the Daredevil run where Bullseye used a gun--once he used it as a handicap on Daredevil, putting one in his shoulder to keep DD from just beating the shit out of him, and the other time he was busting the Kingpin out of prison and used a couple shotguns.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Molyneux wrote:
Praxis wrote:
Molyneux wrote: That is one of the most hilariously stupid things I have ever seen. Almost as bad as Bullseye's brain tumor.
Oh, I agree it's terribly written and he talks way too much. But the fact that he won is still impressive.
So does he have superhumanly strong hands, or deadly razor-sharp fingernails or something? Come on, a playing card is sharper and has more mass behind it than a fingernail, and it's impossible to give someone more than a scratch with one. For a "human" character to do something like that doesn't just strain suspension of disbelief, it snaps its neck and wears its skull like a tiara.
Ultimate Hawkeye clearly has some low-level superpowers (super strength seems true), as does Ultimate Captain America (both perform feats considerably more powerful than their 616 counterparts and any ordinary human).
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Praxis wrote:Ultimate Hawkeye clearly has some low-level superpowers (super strength seems true), as does Ultimate Captain America (both perform feats considerably more powerful than their 616 counterparts and any ordinary human).
Slightly less silly, then, although if they don't actually say the character is superhuman it's still iffy.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Molyneux wrote:
Praxis wrote:
Slightly less silly, then, although if they don't actually say the character is superhuman it's still iffy.
Well you've got to keep in mind he WAS chosen to be on the Ultimates, which had an all-superhuman roster, so it could be he recieved some augmentation from some unnamed source yet.

Count on Jeph Loeb to make it incomprehensible and overly dramatic, no doubt involving his fallen family members.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

EDIT - that should read "as of yet unnamed source".
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

NeoGoomba wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Well you've got to keep in mind he WAS chosen to be on the Ultimates, which had an all-superhuman roster, so it could be he recieved some augmentation from some unnamed source yet.
Except he constantly bitches to Black Widow and others about not being enhanced and not being able to do this stuff at the same time.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

616-continuity Hawkeye was trained by the original Swordsman, so he's pretty damn good in close-combat as well, though of course if he doesn't have a weapon on him to use in close-combat it doesn't help too much.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Crazedwraith wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Except he constantly bitches to Black Widow and others about not being enhanced and not being able to do this stuff at the same time.
He's like that in 616 as well. Constantly whining that without his arrows: "I'm just a guy in a funny suit." He seems to have a inferiority complex as far as powered heroes are concerned and especially with Captain America.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Crazedwraith wrote:
But then you look at what he can actually do physically, and the punishment he can absorb (especially when he breaks out of the anti-Ultimates facility heavily wounded and is STILL able to get involved in the final battle of vol. 2), and he just simply CANNOT be "normal".
-Agent Kay
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

You say all combatants at the height of their power? Well then Hawkeye. He can just get 60ft tall and smash the joint. Remember, he did have a dose of Pym particles and was Goliath for a while.
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Molyneux wrote:
Actually, there is a magician named Ricky Jay who was listed in the Guiness Book of World Records for throwing a playing card a hundred and ninety feet at ninety miles an hour. From ten paces he can throw a playing card into the flesh of a watermelon.

So this guy is in late 50's, and not in ideal shape by any means, so it's not beyond the realm of SoD that a card or fingernail could go through flesh.

wiki article
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Actually, there is a magician named Ricky Jay who was listed in the Guiness Book of World Records for throwing a playing card a hundred and ninety feet at ninety miles an hour. From ten paces he can throw a playing card into the flesh of a watermelon.

So this guy is in late 50's, and not in ideal shape by any means, so it's not beyond the realm of SoD that a card or fingernail could go through flesh.

wiki article

Hm, was pretty sure that Mythbusters disproved any possibility of actually killing someone with this method or doing anything more than cuts on the skin.

*googles*

Here we are. They even have Ricky Jay on the show.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/458503/ri ... thbusters/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJhorx0Z8I

You're not killing anyone with a playing card. Fingernail might be more dangerous, but Hawkeye had his arms strapped down so there was no way he was throwing those at 100+ mph.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

spongyblue wrote:You say all combatants at the height of their power? Well then Hawkeye. He can just get 60ft tall and smash the joint. Remember, he did have a dose of Pym particles and was Goliath for a while.
Simply making him bigger isn't going to give him the win.

To paraphrase Taskmaster from a recent issue of Avengers: Initiative.

"Fighting giants... right. Well you have to keep your cool, and remember that since the rest of their bodies are bigger... so are their weak points. *throws shield* Like the Achilles tendon! *knocks over Yellowjacket, Ant-Man, and Stature, then proceeds to punch Yellowjacket in a nerve cluster on his neck, knocking him out*"
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
spongyblue wrote:You say all combatants at the height of their power? Well then Hawkeye. He can just get 60ft tall and smash the joint. Remember, he did have a dose of Pym particles and was Goliath for a while.
Simply making him bigger isn't going to give him the win.

To paraphrase Taskmaster from a recent issue of Avengers: Initiative.

"Fighting giants... right. Well you have to keep your cool, and remember that since the rest of their bodies are bigger... so are their weak points. *throws shield* Like the Achilles tendon! *knocks over Yellowjacket, Ant-Man, and Stature, then proceeds to punch Yellowjacket in a nerve cluster on his neck, knocking him out*"
Wait...Taskmaster is getting more screen time?
Damn! I really hadn't been planning on reading any of the recent Marvel stuff 'til they got their heads out of their asses.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Molyneux wrote: Wait...Taskmaster is getting more screen time?
Damn! I really hadn't been planning on reading any of the recent Marvel stuff 'til they got their heads out of their asses.
The Initiative is actually a pretty good comic, one of the best things Marvel is publishing right now (Next to Annihilation), of course it suffers a bit from disposable characters. Taskie is one of the trainers for new recruits, and he's awesome.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Darwin wrote:
The Initiative is actually a pretty good comic, one of the best things Marvel is publishing right now (Next to Annihilation), of course it suffers a bit from disposable characters. Taskie is one of the trainers for new recruits, and he's awesome.
Of course. He's always awesome, even when he's wearing that stupid-looking outfit. Did you ever read the antihero-ish miniseries he got?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Molyneux wrote:
Darwin wrote:
Of course. He's always awesome, even when he's wearing that stupid-looking outfit. Did you ever read the antihero-ish miniseries he got?
I did, and issue 9 continues his awesomeness.
"Am I on the list?" "Top marks for brains. Crusader. Unlike the rest of you" :D . I love that character, especially him using the whole training exercise as an excuse to copy moves :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.