Confessor Terry Goodkind

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

dragon
Sith Marauder

Confessor Terry Goodkind

Post by dragon »

So has anyone read the last book in the series and is it any good.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

The book richard finds is a copout.
The final part of the solution to Orden is a copout.
Ja'la tournement is fun.
Terry finally put Richard in a screwed up situation that he can't just War Wizard his way out of completely.

Zedd is, as always, amusing when he's not talking about moral implications and becomes a piece of cardboard.
The rest are cardboard the entire time and without personality.

All in all, if you want a good read, go somewhere else. If you're looking for a read that has some entertainment and you're willing to overlook the occasionally preachy parts, then its ok.
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

All in all, I enjoyed the book. However, there were plot points that were kind of rushed and ended up being somewhat unsatisfying. The book was about 600 pages long, but I feel it could have used another 200 or more to flesh some parts out.
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I gave up on this series after Blood of the Fold. I'm surprised I managed to make myself finish that.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I read up to Faith of the Fallen, or as I like to call it Ayn Rand's Fountainhead, but couldn't muster the force of will to read through Pillar's of Creation. Guess I'll never know if ...

Richard makes it to some location in time to stop the horrible thing just about to happen!
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I just flicked through to the end while waiting to meet a friend. You could of course simply read what happens on Wiki it you don't want to read the whole book but have already invested time into the series you just want to know how it ends.

All in the all the power of Orden allows Richard a deus ex machina to give the Imperial Order the fate they truely deserve. Hint this fate is a line from book one where Zedd punishes his students by for siding against him by leaving them alone to endure the consequences of their own actions.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Oh, wow. I havent looked at this series since Pillars of Creation, but I just read the wiki summaries. My god, they are painful.

Goodkind really likes changing the rules of magic every book, eh?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Another thing which irritates me is this is just another story where the protagonists win by deus ex machina rather than actual military acumen.

Granted Goodkind may have written himself into a hole by making the Imperial Order such a huge army. IIRC from figures given in Faith of the Fallen, the army would have likely rivalled the PRC's standing army in numbers (although this is clearly NOT the Order's standing army, but one mobilised for war). So I can understand that it would be difficult for the D'harans to win, unless Goodkind makes the D'harans become like the Spartans from 300.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

IIRC, they win one war by going past the huge IO army and burning their homelands, killing civilians and destroying cities. And that's it. They return home safe, despite being far from their support base, with a huge army in their rear, and having burnt all the potential forage in the area.

Deus Ex Machina is too kind.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

In the end the books just became an objectivist rant and finally the whole Impeiral Order was deported with a Deus Ex machina or something by characters who stopped showing any personality for what, 5 books already? That sucks.

1st and 2nd books were good, but after that it just went downhill.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Setzer wrote:IIRC, they win one war by going past the huge IO army and burning their homelands, killing civilians and destroying cities. And that's it. They return home safe, despite being far from their support base, with a huge army in their rear, and having burnt all the potential forage in the area.

Deus Ex Machina is too kind.
You mean they defeated that huge army which outnumbers the PRC's by cutting off their food supply, but the Imperial Order manages to recruit more men to replenish those lost and come back just in time for Richard to use his deus ex machina move. :lol:

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Actually uhh...if any army(not pertaining to the final ending) got a Deus Ex Machina...it'd be the IO's. The pillaging in the Old world has gone on for two books now. It didn't end until Jagang pulled a dragon out of his ass and started burning any group of people not from the old world to ashes.