Iron Man vs Thor...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Steve wrote:he's making Tony look nasty and vicious when he has Tony almost goose-stepping with that "you're either for the government, with the government, or you're against the government" spiel.... which is in real direct contradiction with how Tony treated Nova in Nova #2 and #3 (he gave him 24 hours to decide what to do, blasted the Thunderbolts for attacking Nova, seemed generally sympathetic and supportive, etc.).
Except thats pretty much how it is, if you don't sign up and get drafted, then you are a criminal. If they catch you they will lock you up, and have chosen such places as the negative zone to do so in. In short, no matter how he talks, what he says, his actions speak louder than his words, and his actions are. 'Your either with us or against us.' 24 Hours to sign up, or be thrown in prison is no real option, saying he's sympathetic, is irrelavent, judge not by words but by deeds.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Skelron wrote:
Steve wrote:he's making Tony look nasty and vicious when he has Tony almost goose-stepping with that "you're either for the government, with the government, or you're against the government" spiel.... which is in real direct contradiction with how Tony treated Nova in Nova #2 and #3 (he gave him 24 hours to decide what to do, blasted the Thunderbolts for attacking Nova, seemed generally sympathetic and supportive, etc.).
Except thats pretty much how it is, if you don't sign up and get drafted, then you are a criminal. If they catch you they will lock you up, and have chosen such places as the negative zone to do so in. In short, no matter how he talks, what he says, his actions speak louder than his words, and his actions are. 'Your either with us or against us.' 24 Hours to sign up, or be thrown in prison is no real option, saying he's sympathetic, is irrelavent, judge not by words but by deeds.
He certainly didn't treat Nova in that fashion; though he probably recognized that if Nova said no there was no need to get nasty, since Nova would probably leave the planet.

And like I said, the feel of it was different. The depictions of Iron Man seem to vary from writer to writer.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

There's also the fact that at the time Nova could probably beat him and shield up and down like a group of red headed stepchildren.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SylasGaunt wrote:There's also the fact that at the time Nova could probably beat him and shield up and down like a group of red headed stepchildren.
Yeah, Nova is pretty powerful right now.

You guys just all need to wait... [Iron Man is my Fave] Tony is going to be proven right in all this, you just watch!! He did all this for a DAMN good reason and will be vindicated and you will all love him again!![/Iron Man is my Fave]

:(
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I'm a little disappointed that Tony Stark hasn't been taken down a few pegs. I was under the impression that WWH would have undone the worst of the CW events, but it sounds like post-WWH Marvel is still under Iron Man's thumb.

And doesn't Iron Man have the Reality Gem? Can he use that against Thor?
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Crom wrote:And doesn't Iron Man have the Reality Gem? Can he use that against Thor?
He probably doesn't keep it on him, but yeah, he does have the Reality Gem. He could probably get a hold of the Strength Gem too, unless him and Reed have had a big falling out. I honestly doubt he'd go that far - one, he had a really bad experience with the Reality Gem when they first found it, and two, it'd very likely get Doctor Strange all over his ass.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Apologies for the double post, but I also have to add that Tony might not even know how to use the Reality Gem with any sort of competency. He might be afraid of destabilising reality and destroying the world/universe. It took the combined efforts of the Space, Soul and Power Gems to calm what was going on when Stark pulled the Reality Gem out of the rift. He may not want to mess with that.

PS. I mean't 'Power', not 'Strength' in my previous post.
What is Project Zohar?

Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Yeah, the Reality gem isn't something you should mess with, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, or have the other Infinity gems working in concert with it. I'm pretty sure when Warlock had to break up the gauntlet he secretly gave Thanos the Reality gem, basically because he knew Thanos wouldn't be stupid enough to actually use it.
Jason B. Romano
Baal
Padawan Learner

Post by Baal »

Jason wrote:Yeah, the Reality gem isn't something you should mess with, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, or have the other Infinity gems working in concert with it. I'm pretty sure when Warlock had to break up the gauntlet he secretly gave Thanos the Reality gem, basically because he knew Thanos wouldn't be stupid enough to actually use it.
Also I could be wrong but didnt Thanos sort of imply that trying to use the Reality Gem without having some of the other gems was REALLY dangerous. Basically you needed some of the other gems in your possession to be able to safely use the gem at all.

I could though be remembering this completly wrong.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

That sounds about right.
Jason B. Romano
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

When did Stark, Mr. Fantastic, etc get infinity gems? That's kind of big to have totally gone over my head.

Anyway, this issue came out today and was pretty good.

What we saw in preview was pretty much their entire fight. Thor entirely disabled Tony's armor without taking a scratch, and had him walk out of New Orleans. Stark agreed to present Floating Asgard as an embassy, giving Thor diplomatic immunity from the powers registration act. A scene from SHIELD headquarters later showed it wasn't fully settled in Stark's mind, though: "Orders sir?" "Nothing. We let it go. For now."
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well the issue is on the stands. A lot of fears voiced here are unfounded as Thor beats Tony like a red-headed stepchild before dismissing him as unimportant.. at the moment.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Dammit, ninja'd by Sriad.

I do like that Thor makes it clear he's not done with Tony yet though.. as well as dropping a bit of reminder about how powerful he is.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Sriad wrote:When did Stark, Mr. Fantastic, etc get infinity gems? That's kind of big to have totally gone over my head.
In the Illuminati series, which is pretty good. Anyway, Richards was collecting them. They decided no one should have all the gems so they got distributed.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

havokeff wrote:In the Illuminati series, which is pretty good. Anyway, Richards was collecting them. They decided no one should have all the gems so they got distributed.
His actual plan was to erase the Infinity Gauntlet, so as to stop anyone else getting their hands on it. Didn't work out, though, which is why Richards, Stark, Xavier, Strange, Black Bolt and Namor each have a Gem.
What is Project Zohar?

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... tml#cutid1 if anyone wants to read the rest of the fight :D
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Found this in 4chan, can't help but agree.
Anon wrote:Is it just me, or is the entire Marvel universe lining up to tell Tony he's a amoral dick? I'm half expecting Doom to show up, waltz over to Tony, smack him upside the head, tell him to have some class, then run off while shouting "diplomatic immunity."
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I'm not a reader-of-comics, but I'm a little confused about this depiection of Thor. I like reading these Civil War threads, since the action is fun, and I do like the art, and I've wondered what the deal is with this Asgard stuff. Is this actually Asgard, from the Norse myths? And is this actually the Norse god Thor? He seems more like some sort of 'new' Thor, not like the original one at all, and though that could just be bad comic-writing I was wondering about it now that there's apparently some actual Asgard floating around. How is it that Ironman could even think about messing with Asgard? I have to assume Thor isn't the only aesir around, and even if this is a 'new' Thor of some variety, there's probably a big pissed-off 'new' or 'old' version of Odin there, right? I assume they've got some variety of quantified power, but... isn't that just a fight you can't win?

Isn't this relatively similar to what would happen if someone set up Hell in Detroit? Not like it is now, but literally a Gate to Hell just opened up in the sewers and they started selling admission tickets and renting jetski's for the lakes of fire.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Covenant wrote:I'm not a reader-of-comics, but I'm a little confused about this depiection of Thor. I like reading these Civil War threads, since the action is fun, and I do like the art, and I've wondered what the deal is with this Asgard stuff. Is this actually Asgard, from the Norse myths? And is this actually the Norse god Thor? He seems more like some sort of 'new' Thor, not like the original one at all, and though that could just be bad comic-writing I was wondering about it now that there's apparently some actual Asgard floating around. How is it that Ironman could even think about messing with Asgard? I have to assume Thor isn't the only aesir around, and even if this is a 'new' Thor of some variety, there's probably a big pissed-off 'new' or 'old' version of Odin there, right? I assume they've got some variety of quantified power, but... isn't that just a fight you can't win?

Isn't this relatively similar to what would happen if someone set up Hell in Detroit? Not like it is now, but literally a Gate to Hell just opened up in the sewers and they started selling admission tickets and renting jetski's for the lakes of fire.
read.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Hey, that absolutely rules, and explains my confusion. I'm glad someone thought of that little retcon. Thanks!

So I take it that this Asgard is a very literal sort of place, like some kind of Atlantis that they decided to drop over the US, just for convenience?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Asgard. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I think that thing wins the 'flying castle' thread as well.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Covenant wrote:I think that thing wins the 'flying castle' thread as well.
The edges look a little unstable though.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Why didn't IM use an armour similar to the Hulkbuster armour when facing off with Thor?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Enigma wrote:Why didn't IM use an armour similar to the Hulkbuster armour when facing off with Thor?
Because Evil Overlords are stupid?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers