(DC Comics - "52") World War III is here!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

(DC Comics - "52") World War III is here!

Post by Steve »

So, who's going to shell over the $10+ to get 52 #50 and all four WWIII comics? 8)

Given how excellent 52 has been this year, I intend to do just that.

*does General Chang-style spin in computer chair* Cry Havoc!! and let slip the Dogs of War!!!

*cues Holst's "Mars - The God of War" onto playlist*
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: (DC Comics - "52") World War III is here!

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:*does General Chang-style spin in computer chair* Cry Havoc!! and let slip the Dogs of War!!!
You really enjoy doing that too much... 8)

Ah, yes on the main issue, maybe on the WWIII one-shots. It just feels too much like a final attempt to tie together various unrelated, unanswered questions in the two weeks before we hit what was the OYL jump.
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

I'm ready to see Black Adam kick all kinds of crazy ass. It's kinda of funny how this "followup and filler in" after last years crisis was a million times better than it.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

JME2 wrote:
Steve wrote:*does General Chang-style spin in computer chair* Cry Havoc!! and let slip the Dogs of War!!!

Ah, yes on the main issue, maybe on the WWIII one-shots. It just feels too much like a final attempt to tie together various unrelated, unanswered questions in the two weeks before we hit what was the OYL jump.
It works like that, yes, but it's still worth getting on it's own. It focues on J'onn as he telepathically observes the conflict and muses on his relationship with Humans and on the paradox of Human Nature, shifting between emotion and reason, love and hate, etc.

Not only that, but the books give us a bit of a hint toward 52 #52 itself with little background bits.... you'll see.... mwahahahahaha.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:
JME2 wrote:

It works like that, yes, but it's still worth getting on it's own. It focues on J'onn as he telepathically observes the conflict and muses on his relationship with Humans and on the paradox of Human Nature, shifting between emotion and reason, love and hate, etc.
And also setting up the recently concluded Liberman/Barrionuevo mini-series that spun out of Brave New World. It was a...decent, explanation, I guess, and nice to see Ostrander revisiting elements from his run on J'onn's cancelled title. I'll say that most of the final unanswered OYL elements felt decent in how they worked into it save for Jason Todd becoming Nightwing.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

And they didn't answer what happened to Cass despite advertizing it on hte cover of the second issue.

She gets little over a single page and no explination. None.

I'm pissed at DC even more, now.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:And they didn't answer what happened to Cass despite advertizing it on hte cover of the second issue.

She gets little over a single page and no explination. None.

I'm pissed at DC even more, now.
That too. Same with Supergirl in the 29th Century too, now that I think about it.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Eh, I thought they made it pretty clear how it was going between the panels and J'onn's narration.

After the destruction of Bludhaven, Cassandra was emotionally lost from losing all of the normal people she'd met and started to care about. Then Batman runs off and, instead of leaving her the city, appears to leave it to Harvey Dent of all people. She looks up to Bats and he basically dismissed her, knowing she had no "home" now that Bludhaven is kaput.

Or so she's being convinced by Deathstroke, who is playing on her fear and confusion.

Or rather that's the story because we all know that this is just a cheap fix to the fact that they, for various reasons, turned Cassie into a villain and the fanbase got pissed off at them.

Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

I was really disappointed with World War 3. It's name is even misrepresenting, it wasnt a world war, it was just Black Adam on a warpath. While this is a pretty cool thing to see, did we really need 5 issues dedicated to it? Not only that, they spent so much time developing Black Adam as a character only to turn him into a stereotype mass murderer.

The only consolation is that we get a hint of the next big 'crisis' at the end of the 4th issue of world war 3.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Moving away from WWIII and back to the main issue, I'd like to address the new status quo that has befallen the black sheep of the Marvel Family. One suspects that with his new magical activation word, one might think he'll spend the next few months reading the dictionary aloud. I personally second a nomination made over at Newsarama and am convinced that Billy changed his word from "Shazam" to "Blathering Blatherskite"... :twisted:

Any other nominations? 8)
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Ok, I finally read it. The Good; Black Adam tossing an Aircraft Carrier and kicking the Titans collective ass(I never liked the Titans). The Bad; To me it seems the flushed down the toilet everything they built up Black Adam to be since he appeared in JSA. Yeah he wasn't afraid to rip you in two peices on live TV, if you where a known criminal. Kill a family of children? Never. He was pretty hardcore, but not unexpected for ancient old school justice. If he is anything like Capt.Marvel, he has the voices of the Gods running through his head at all times, I doubt they where condoning his actions.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but when he says "SHAZAM" he should change into how Theo Adam was just before he originaly found the scarab necklace that contained Teth Adams power, not into how he was when Shazam first gave him the power right? or did I miss something or that got changed by the crisis of the week?