What can reliably kill wolverine?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Because there isn't another Wolverine soul to trigger the regeneration?

Because the Marvel Universe can only furiously masterbate so much and multi-Wolverine would cause chafing?
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Dennis Toy wrote:
I think that his bone marrow survives or something (since adamantium is supposed to be indestructible, and Wolverine can heal back from a single cell).

WHAT!!
:shock:

Wolverine can heal from A SINGLE CELL!!? Thats what we would call CLONING!

How's that possible?
How else do you explain him being reduced to a skeleton WITh NO BRAIN and surviving?
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Crazedwraith wrote: He's been killed at least twice like that in AUs. A sentinel incinerated him down to the bone in the comic version of "Days of Future Past" and Punisher did something similar by attacking him to a high voltage outlet in "Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe"
Charnel killed him in the Death's Head II miniseries as well. As I recall the fight went something like *ZOT!* and ended right there.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Ou des wrote:If Wolverine can regrow his body from a single cell then every time a chunk of his skin is torn off in a fight that chunk should grow into another Wolverine. Is there an explaination for why this doesn't happen?
There is none, because it just doesn't make any damn sense anymore.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Where the hell does Wolverine get the matter to make new flesh ? Healing damaged tissue is ok but when everything but the skeleton is burned where does the new matter come from ? From everyones description this appears to be the problem with Wolverine. If Wolverine actualy had to rest and eat food to replace the flesh stripped away after a fight healing factor wont be so bad. Infact with it's limitations it would force better plots.

On a related note does anyone else think the movies called X-men were actualy Wolverine films titled with a different name ? :)
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Sarevok wrote:On a related note does anyone else think the movies called X-men were actualy Wolverine films titled with a different name ? :)
More or less. They might also be called "Cyclops Hate Club" films, based on his treatment (or non-treatment) in them.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Ted C wrote:
Sarevok wrote:On a related note does anyone else think the movies called X-men were actualy Wolverine films titled with a different name ? :)
More or less. They might also be called "Cyclops Hate Club" films, based on his treatment (or non-treatment) in them.
"Frank Castle, you are charged with the murder of our most treasured super heroes. And Cyclops."
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Ou des wrote:If Wolverine can regrow his body from a single cell then every time a chunk of his skin is torn off in a fight that chunk should grow into another Wolverine. Is there an explaination for why this doesn't happen?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, after a "fatal wound", his soul goes off and fights some kind of duel, and if he wins he heals up. :roll: Going by that, since the individual cells don't have souls they can't grow back.
Sarevok wrote:Where the hell does Wolverine get the matter to make new flesh ? Healing damaged tissue is ok but when everything but the skeleton is burned where does the new matter come from ?
Probably from an extradimensional source; Marvel's catchall explanation for where-does-the-mass-come-from questions.
Sarevok wrote: From everyones description this appears to be the problem with Wolverine. If Wolverine actualy had to rest and eat food to replace the flesh stripped away after a fight healing factor wont be so bad. Infact with it's limitations it would force better plots.
Agreed. Something that comic writers seem to have trouble understanding; limits tend to make for better stories.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

This might work:

Though he is not a Mech, Wolverine is still bullshit.

Molyneux wrote:Ah, yes, "Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe"...better known as "unf unf unf oh god FRANK! FRAAANK!"

It's the only piece of shit I've read more wanked-out than Wolverine has been lately.
Except that it is satire.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Lord Zentei wrote:
Molyneux wrote:Ah, yes, "Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe"...better known as "unf unf unf oh god FRANK! FRAAANK!"

It's the only piece of shit I've read more wanked-out than Wolverine has been lately.
Except that it is satire.
All right.
It's bad satire, then. :)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Molyneux wrote:All right.
It's bad satire, then. :)
Ah, well. That's a matter of taste. :P

Seriously, Garth Ennis' tounge is so firmly in cheek that it is virtually punching through it -- I kind of liked it precisely because it is so hilariously outrageous. And because it is gratyfying to see all those otherwise wanked-out characters get their come-uppance at last, in ways that piss all over their supposed uber-ness. (Hell, even the Punisher himself bites it in the end, with a whiney, emo suicide.)

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Sigh..
I remember the good ol' days when Wolvie would get a sword through the guts and have to slink off to heal for awhile, cause that would really fuck him up. I remeber it took him a god awful long time to regenerate a fucking EYE. Remember when he was running around with an eye-path?

Now he's a demi-god. What the fuck is he now, an Eternal?
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

From elsewhere:

El Goonish Shive (webcomic):
  • Grace Sciuridae -- super fast dodging and her claws have anti-regenerative toxin. Though presumably Wolverine can return from the dead, and she would have to enter berserker mode without snapping out of it (she's normally a pacifist with a "no killing" philosophy).
Dungeons and Dragons (RPG):
  • A Hoary Hunter: it's sword can steal the souls of people it wounds. It can do this even if it does not score a blow that would otherwise be fatal - in this regard it's like Stormbringer.
  • Being swallowed by the Tarrasque, another similarly overwanked regen-freak, and one of the most powerful creatures in the game. He might not die from it, though he'd be constantly dissolved by stomach acids (unless he is able to cut his way out).
  • On that note, a Wish spell is described as being able to cause a "stay fucking dead" effect upon the Tarrasque, so presumably it can do that to Wolverine too.
  • A powerful Telepath has an ability known as "Mind Switch, True", which does just what the name implies: like a soul-transplant. Moreover, the "natural body" of the souls are switched permanently (it's one of the more broken abilities in the game). Anyway: the Telepath uses Mind Switch, True; then kills Wolverine who is now in the Telepaths old "ordinary" body. He cannot regenerate, because regeneration is an Extraordinary quality which goes with his body.
  • An Extraordinary trait is one that does not go out in an Anti Magic Field; (as opposed to "supernatural" or "spell like" abilities). If in this particular instance is not an Extraordinary ability, then by definition it is one of the two previously mentioned; thus an Anti Magic Field would nullify it, and problem solved. Kill Wolverine and dump his body in an AMF -- he stays dead.
Warhammer 40000 (Wargame):
  • A C'Tan is garbed in a Necrodermis that causes unhealable wounds, and it steals people's souls too - Warpsouls, granted, though apparently people killed by them cannot return from death.
  • Dump him into the Warp. Might not be so nice if he returns, mutated beyond all reason, though...
  • Being eaten by a Tyranid digestion pool, later transferred to the guts of a Hive Ship. Sure, he keeps regenerating, but I can't see him escaping from there, since the hiveship is grown to resist multi megaton barrages, and revover from them - his claws are just not that powerful. The Tyranids would be particularly happy because not only is this a morsel that produces continious nutrients in the manner of a Perpetual Motion Machine of the First Kind, it also provides fucking awesome genes to splice into the Swarm. Think about it: a swarm of billions of Tyranid monstrosities all with Loganesque regeneration. Fun times. For the Hive Mind. (Incidentally, if the gut that's regenerating him also comes to incorporate said genes or if he is transferred to such a gut, he's absolutely not getting out, ever).

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Oh, by "from elsewhere", I mean from anywhere that is neither in the real world or in the Marvel-verse.

Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

TheDarkling wrote:As for how he can be threatened Wolverine Origins recently introduced a sword that can kill him (because it's so sharp or something stupid like that) and some chemical that retards his healing factor substantially.
So his cells can handle going through a star, yet a chemical can change them enough to retard (btw excellent word choice) his healing factor? Shouldn't getting hit with ionising radiation then mutate all his DNA and eliminate his healing factor?
The Yosemite Bear wrote:even with today's wank I can do it in two words:

Liquid Nitrogen: cold enough to cause his mutant cellular activity to cease. now shatter the wolvie cubes, and keep them all seperate containers.
Another method of ceasing cellular activity has been presented - destroying them all in a star. As I understand it, freezing all his cells would merely result in a new Wolverine growing from the skeleton within, pushing off all the dead Wolverine flesh.

Really, the best solution so far must be the 'embedded in a block of concrete or steel, with or without flesh' ideas. Making him go insane while inside is a neat way of 'erasing' his mind (or soul) using mundane methods rather than telepathy. Even if he gets out eventually, Wolverine as we know him would be dead.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Winston Blake wrote:
TheDarkling wrote:As for how he can be threatened Wolverine Origins recently introduced a sword that can kill him (because it's so sharp or something stupid like that) and some chemical that retards his healing factor substantially.
So his cells can handle going through a star, yet a chemical can change them enough to retard (btw excellent word choice) his healing factor? Shouldn't getting hit with ionising radiation then mutate all his DNA and eliminate his healing factor?
rofl dude hes wolvie but its a magic swored

lol wtf is "inoising" radiation and anyhw hes a mutant alredy [/Comic Writer Mode]
Really, the best solution so far must be the 'embedded in a block of concrete or steel, with or without flesh' ideas. Making him go insane while inside is a neat way of 'erasing' his mind (or soul) using mundane methods rather than telepathy. Even if he gets out eventually, Wolverine as we know him would be dead.
The "lost in space" idea works too, of course. He needs to breathe, so he'd be constantly dying.

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Lord Zentei wrote:From elsewhere:

El Goonish Shive (webcomic):
  • Grace Sciuridae -- super fast dodging and her claws have anti-regenerative toxin. Though presumably Wolverine can return from the dead, and she would have to enter berserker mode without snapping out of it (she's normally a pacifist with a "no killing" philosophy).
I hadn't even thought about Grace's claws! You're right, they have proven to retard the regenerative abilities of a fast healer before.

At the very least, her omega forms should be able to beat the hell out of Logan for awhile...

On that note...how awesome would a crossover be with Grace and Squirrel Girl?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Erase him from history with The Inquisitor's time gauntlet (from Red Dwarf). It seems to be functionally equivalent to the Time Lord Demat Gun, but more programmable (and with better VFX :) ).
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

Lord Zentei wrote:The "lost in space" idea works too, of course. He needs to breathe, so he'd be constantly dying.
Besides that, depending on his velocity and trajectory he will be practically out of the universe. Space is a very big place, and Wolvie is a small critter. It would be, at the least, centuries before his presence was even found, and longer before anyone could reach him. Even if he did find a planet and survive the impact, he's still in trouble unless he can achieve escape velocity by jumping really hard. So, for all intents and purposes, Wolvie is dead and gone.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Or you could duct tapt the ultimate nullifier to Thor hammer and glue that to the bottom of Galactus' foot and have him step on Wolvie encased in adamantium (ala Han Solo), while standing on a star, during Ragnorock, with the Annihilation wavw coming. That might last for an issue.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Hmm...Why not just hit Wolverine with the Ret-Can? That's an in-universe weapon, after all.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Starglider wrote:Erase him from history with The Inquisitor's time gauntlet (from Red Dwarf). It seems to be functionally equivalent to the Time Lord Demat Gun, but more programmable (and with better VFX :) ).
You could also delve into the World of Darkness for this effect. The Hermetic Order has a spell that basically takes your soul and annihilates it. This isn't standard pattern shredding, mind you, but complete and utter destruction of an avatar to the point that it can no longer be reincarnated.

You'd need some heavy-hitting Hermetics to pull this off, though. And having it performed is no small matter. IIRC, the Mage: The Ascension continuity states that this has only been done about five or six times in the history of magic.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Oh, just toss Wolverine in the back end of a Stargate. That should do it.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

What would happen if you caught Wolverine in the kawoosh of a stargate, and then his lower legs (which were just outside of the kawoosh) fell away from one another onto the ground? Would one of them regenerate him and the other one remain immobile? Would his body regrow from one of the legs and have one really long thigh reaching over to his other leg?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I say we dunk him into the core of the sun, on a giant cube that is composed of the entire amount of fissible material of Earth.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!