Talkback: JLU Season 3 and Batman Beyond Volume 3 DVD Sets

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Talkback: JLU Season 3 and Batman Beyond Volume 3 DVD Sets

Post by Steve »

Well, that's it, folks. JLU and Batman Beyond have had their final DVD sets released, and unless we ever see Zeta Project or Static Shock on DVD that'll be it for Timmverse.

So, anyone have any comments on them? So far I've only seen the "Cadmus: Exposed" special on Disc 1 of JLU Vol. 3, and I enjoyed it quite well; Mark Hammill confesses his comic book geek status and we get to hear Dwayne McDuffie, James Tucker, and Bruce Timm talk about the Cadmus Arc, including things they knew they couldn't do (Have Lex become POTUS and the JL fight him), things they had trouble doing (Capt. Marvel vs. Superman), and things that went well. There were some fun comments about the excellent VAs they snagged, like CCH Pounder's natural ability to VA Waller despite looking as if she weren't even trying, and on plot lines that never developed (originally, instead of Lexiac, they were going to just have it as Lex putting his mind in an Amazo body, but they decided that wouldn't work).

Anyone else with comments?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

I would like to see the DVD for extra's but since I ......."aquired", all the episodes, I'll doubt I will, but after just recently watching them all it reminds me of how damn good a show it was, and the potential of well thought out american animation ( you hear that Disney? no of course you didn't) That show even got my wife hooked, who before thought it was just "geek stuff". Now she wants to have a baby girl just she can name her Shiera after Hawkgirl. Any news by the way of the future DTDvd Movies?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

None of the stores in my immediate area have either and it's really pissing me off; the joys of coming home from Spring Break. I'll have to wait until I head back down south this weekend to nab them. How's the all-music track on Destroyer, Steve?
spongyblue wrote:Any news by the way of the future DTDvd Movies?
There are three DTV films coming out that, while helmed by Timm, are not within the DCAU timeline; they are adaptations of the Death of Superman, Teen Titans' Judas Contract, and Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier Storyline.

In addition, as I've stated in previous talkback threads, there is still the matter of the unproduced (thank you for changing your minds at the mast minute, WB home Video Department :evil: )JLU DTV Worlds Collide. As before, it would have served as a bridge between Starcrossed and Initiation, explained Diana's invisible jet, and feature the bona fide Crime Syndicate (Love the Justice Lords, but nothing beats the Syndicate).

I had the chance to ask Timm at WonderCon if there was any chance of the project seeing daylight. According to him, progress is being made, so we may yet see it.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I got both sets in the mail today. I probably won't have time to look at them much until next week though.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

JME2 wrote:I'll have to wait until I head back down south this weekend to nab them. How's the all-music track on Destroyer, Steve?
Fraggin' beautiful.

Another tidbit from the commentary on Season 3 (instead of commentary on one whole episode, they ended up with commentary for the 2nd Acts of three episodes) is that initially they had thought of using the Key in relation to restoring Darkseid via a connection with Brainiac, hence Corey Burton voicing him, but decided that such an end was "too weak" and went with what we got.

They also apparently thought that Tala's screaming in "Alive!" was bloodcurdlingly intense (my words, not their's, that's the gist of what they said IMO).
There are three DTV films coming out that, while helmed by Timm, are not within the DCAU timeline; they are adaptations of the Death of Superman, Teen Titans' Judas Contract, and Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier Storyline.
When are we going to see them?
In addition, as I've stated in previous talkback threads, there is still the matter of the unproduced (thank you for changing your minds at the mast minute, WB home Video Department :evil: )JLU DTV Worlds Collide. As before, it would have served as a bridge between Starcrossed and Initiation, explained Diana's invisible jet, and feature the bona fide Crime Syndicate (Love the Justice Lords, but nothing beats the Syndicate).

I had the chance to ask Timm at WonderCon if there was any chance of the project seeing daylight. According to him, progress is being made, so we may yet see it.
Oooooooooh.......... 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Superman/Doomsday DTV is due out in September with the others by early next year IIRC.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

For my personal enjoyment, I played Destroyer soundtrack-only on my comp and recorded the soundtrack then converted it into mp3 format. :)

Ahhhh.... mucho good music. I think there was only like two pauses in music in the entire episode....

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Can anyone provide me them?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Seconded; if possible, I would be ever grateful.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The Batman Beyond Vol. 3 Episode commentaries were simply hilarious, especially the commentary for "The Call" when Bruce Timm and Will Freidle were arguing about whether Superman was wearing his classic suit or his future white-and-black one when Starro took him over. Timm insisted that it was the original suit, Will said classic, and then they showed the clip.... and indeed, it was Supes in the futuristic suit. For effect, they put up "WHITE AND BLACK SUIT" on the screen with an arrow pointing to Superman, and below it, the names of "Bruce" and "Will" where Bruce's name was accompanied by an empty square while Will's had "1" flash in it.

I couldn't help myself and I burst out laughing, causing me to get a strange look from my Dad. :D

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Er, dammit, brain fried. Will Freidle said it was the new suit, not the original. :P

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

JME2 wrote:Seconded; if possible, I would be ever grateful.
Thirded, I love showtunes, especially the one from Destroyer.
Pretty please?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I finished watching JLU yesterday. I really enjoyed what they did with this season given they hadn't expected to be doing any more episodes after the end of the first JLU season.

They hit a few more of the interesting places in the DCU plus found time to get a bit more action for some of their pet favorite characters. I particularly like the stuff with Stargirl and Supergirl.

After seeing this season I really wish they would have gone on to do a Timmverse version of the Legion of Super Heroes as an ongoing series. The one episode they appeared in for JLU was cool, plus it showed how bad ass a Kryptonian can be. Supergirl did pretty well on her own against all of the Legion. :) I still would have liked to see Clark's response when GL & GA told him the name of Kara's new boyrriend. :lol:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.