Comic Book Movies/Shows You'd Like to See...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Comic Book Movies/Shows You'd Like to See...

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The recent release of Ghost Rider in theatres got me thinking about comic book movies. Not superhero movies, mind you, but comic book movies in general.

Basically, what comic books and graphic novels would you like to see made into motion pictures and/or television shows, or what do you think would work in such formats? To help broaden the discussion this is not exclusive to just superhero comics, but also to narrow it a little, it does not include manga.

My first choice would be Wesley Dodds, the original Sandman, specifically for a TV show because I don't think the set up is very suitable for a film. You'd not only have to focus on a single case, but also most likely treat it as an origin story, while I think it would be more appropriate to just jump into things. The show would have a general arc of progression and development, but generally be more episodic in nature, with individual cases lasting between one and 3-4 episodes. Specifically as inspiration I'm looking at the Sandman Mystery Theatre title of the 1990s, which took the Dodds Sandman and returned him to his late-1930s masked vigilante detective "mystery man" origins, with a noir presentation. I think that would work very well for a TV series.

The next idea is kind of cheating, since it's a graphic novel that actually started out as a screenplay for a film, but The Living and the Dead is an incredible horror comic by Todd Livingston, Robert Tinnell, and Micah Farritor, functioning as sequel to the Frankenstein novel. It'd be perfect for the kind of intelligent, drawn out yet genuinely creepy horror films that have been missing for some years.

Thirdly, I think a Howard the Duck cartoon would work really well, if produced right and aired on something like Adult Swim (not for content, but just because it'd be a good low-risk means of distribution), good piece for cultural satire and parody.

So, others?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Psychodelica
Youngling

Post by Psychodelica »

I would like to Sandman made into a TV-series, with Neil gaiman as the writer and as much as possible of the original workers in production.

Another thing I'd like is a new Hellblazer film. I liked Constantine as a pretty entertaining movie, but it sure as hell wasn't Hellblazer!

Fables cou do well as a movie too, I believe, or even better as a TV-series. The thing connecting all these three projects is a close co-operation with the writers and artist of the original comics.

If masculinity is NOT in crisis, then it is not for lack of trying
John Beynon

Usually I say ”Fuck the truth”, but mostly the truth fucks you
Angels in America
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Guards! Guards!

...What? There is a comic book version of it! :P
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Psychodelica wrote:I would like to Sandman made into a TV-series, with Neil gaiman as the writer and as much as possible of the original workers in production.

Another thing I'd like is a new Hellblazer film. I liked Constantine as a pretty entertaining movie, but it sure as hell wasn't Hellblazer!

Fables cou do well as a movie too, I believe, or even better as a TV-series. The thing connecting all these three projects is a close co-operation with the writers and artist of the original comics.
Hellblazer would work best as an HBO or Showtime series really. Especially considering how. . .risque the books themselves get. Far as Sandman. . .meh. They'd never be able to properly do it right. I could see Books of Magic getting translated to television, but you'd have people knee-jerking and decrying it as a Harry Potter ripoff.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

There should be a movie featuring the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch (i.e., Jim Hammond). It should feature extended sequences of them tearing through 1930s New York City smashing buildings, cars, streets, bridges, and virtually anything that gets in their way while the humans react in shock to the first overt display of superhuman might in the Marvel universe (à la Marvels #1). Namor should be hurling cars, wrenching propeller screws from ships and punching through submarine hulls, while the Human Torch melts steel and hurls fireballs. In honor of their definitive role, the film should be titled simply Marvels.

There should also be a movie set in the early 1940s featuring Sergeant Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos going head to head with Wolfgang Baron von Strucker (with cameo appearances by the Red Skull and Heinrich Baron Zemo). It should be shot with cinematic work similar to that in Pearl Harbor and Flags of Our Fathers, with the same sort of 'nostalgic' use of color. If it features technology that did not exist at the time, it should nevertheless be made to appear authentic, avoiding the sort of ridiculous 'steampunk' rubbish of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Publius' ideas sound pretty cool.

However, I must confess I've a soft spot for a Ben Grimm/Jen Walters buddy flick, smashing cars and fighting giant monsters. ^_^
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I've always wanted to see Dr. Strange brought onto the big screen in a good fashion. Given the fascination with wizards and magic brought on by the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films, and the explosion of superhero films, merging the two and bringing Dr. Strange back would seem like a good idea, either on his own or as part of a Defenders movie with the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'd love a Sandman animated series. And of course the lead-in for a Lucifer HBO series would be sweet.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

The Dark wrote:I've always wanted to see Dr. Strange brought onto the big screen in a good fashion. Given the fascination with wizards and magic brought on by the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films, and the explosion of superhero films, merging the two and bringing Dr. Strange back would seem like a good idea, either on his own or as part of a Defenders movie with the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk.
Dr. Strange is already getting his own animated movie. Similar to the Utimate Avengers and Iron Man movies.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I'm tempted to say "Runaways" but I can see how "kids trying to act cool and witty with pop culture references dropped in every 30 seconds" can backfire horribly if they get the wrong actors and director.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Ex Machina as a TV series would have a lot of potential. The story arc is expected to last something like 50 issues, so there is a firm beginning, middle, and end. Plus, the superhero stuff is cool but also done via flashbacks; the main story concerns itself with the politics of running NYC as Mayor.

The Ultimates as a feature film seems almost a given, as the look of the book has that cinematic feel already.

Publius's ideas about Marvels is awesome. That battle between the SubMariner and The Human Torch was crazy.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stofsk wrote:The Ultimates as a feature film seems almost a given, as the look of the book has that cinematic feel already.
They already did a direct-to-video Ultimates movie. It was watered down and stunk.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Then it's time to see what Sam Jackson and Val Kilmer are doing
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

neoolong wrote:
The Dark wrote:I've always wanted to see Dr. Strange brought onto the big screen in a good fashion. Given the fascination with wizards and magic brought on by the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films, and the explosion of superhero films, merging the two and bringing Dr. Strange back would seem like a good idea, either on his own or as part of a Defenders movie with the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk.
Dr. Strange is already getting his own animated movie. Similar to the Utimate Avengers and Iron Man movies.
Okay, for the purposes of this thread, any silly little DTV "animated movies" don't count. :P

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Publius wrote:There should be a movie featuring the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch (i.e., Jim Hammond). It should feature extended sequences of them tearing through 1930s New York City smashing buildings, cars, streets, bridges, and virtually anything that gets in their way while the humans react in shock to the first overt display of superhuman might in the Marvel universe (à la Marvels #1). Namor should be hurling cars, wrenching propeller screws from ships and punching through submarine hulls, while the Human Torch melts steel and hurls fireballs. In honor of their definitive role, the film should be titled simply Marvels.
I'd be more tempted by a Marvels TV series.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Dartzap wrote:Guards! Guards!

...What? There is a comic book version of it! :P
You sir, are a genius. Though I'm not sure I liked that comics character designs for Vimes and co.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

"Y, the last man", if given enough time for enough episodes, would make a fun TV show.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

"Wow I didn't realize that there was already something going on that really makes my previous post sort of goofy now" edit:

So my post stirs my curiosity, and sure enough New Line Cinema has purchased the film rights. Hmmms
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Psychodelica
Youngling

Post by Psychodelica »

General Zod wrote:
Psychodelica wrote:I would like to Sandman made into a TV-series, with Neil gaiman as the writer and as much as possible of the original workers in production.

Hellblazer would work best as an HBO or Showtime series really. Especially considering how. . .risque the books themselves get. Far as Sandman. . .meh. They'd never be able to properly do it right. I could see Books of Magic getting translated to television, but you'd have people knee-jerking and decrying it as a Harry Potter ripoff.
Oh, I would love to see HBO making a Hellblazer series... They have a history of making kick-ass series on the whole. :-)

If masculinity is NOT in crisis, then it is not for lack of trying
John Beynon

Usually I say ”Fuck the truth”, but mostly the truth fucks you
Angels in America
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Someone needs to do Top Ten as a Homicide/NYPD Blue style cop show.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

NeoGoomba wrote:I'd love a Sandman animated series.
Animating Gaiman's Sandman would definitely be the only way to go, I think, and would be very awesome.

Though I think the real time for something like that would have been the early to mid 90s.

spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

I think Fables would make an awsome HBO series.

An even though I hear it's in the works, a DC Captain Marvel movie would be nice, as long as they put Black Adam into it because Black Adam = Awsome Villian/anti-hero.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I would love to see a Micronauts movie based on the Marvel series. It would make a great [inner] space opera story, with Rann, Mari, Bug, Acroyear, Biotron and Microtron vs. Baron Karza in the Microverse. Current movie CGI effects would make it visually spectacular.

Two points:

1. It shouldn't have 80% of the movie in the real world like the Dolph Lundgren / Tom Paris He-Man movie.

2. Please, no Nanotron.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

spongyblue wrote:I think Fables would make an awsome HBO series.

An even though I hear it's in the works, a DC Captain Marvel movie would be nice, as long as they put Black Adam into it because Black Adam = Awsome Villian/anti-hero.
Agreed!
In a similar vein, a JSA movie would be very choice. Have any of the JSA folks had their movie rights sold?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Post by Srynerson »

Green Lantern! (Any iteration, although I'd be particularly partial to an HBO/Showtime series based on the trippy John Stewart-centered Green Lantern: Mosaic.) If ever there was a comic book for which CGI was invented, this is it! :D