What worlds would be classified as Deathworlds in WH40k?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

What worlds would be classified as Deathworlds in WH40k?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Deathworlds is considered the most hostile type of planet in 40k outside the warp, a good definition is somewhere you wouldn't want to live even if you were paid to do so.
The worlds tend to mean a death sentence for any humans without large amounts of equipment within days, not just simply due to a non breathable enviroment but due to horrific monsters or exceptionally hostile terrain (Alien acid rain, composed of lava, etc..).

My first choice would be Arrakis from Dune.
While it may only have one type of big beastie (Shai Halud) and an atomic bomb or massive quantity of explosions can be enough to dissasemble one, it doesn't change the fact that walking on most of Dune's surface is a death sentance, that the lack of water and heat will de-hydrate anyone within a day or two, that the storms will turn a space-craft into scrap metal, that without filters and still-suits you can't go outside except in large specialized mechanical vehicles and that the inhabitants give the most elite troopers in the Dune galaxy nightmares.

Another possible choice might be the ruined former homeworld of the Corrino's (Also from Dune) which is essentially a massive prison world with massive radiation storms, blasted radio-active terrain and any prisoners that survive are so inhumanly tough that the emperor uses them as his elite shock troops- the Sardukar.

The planet seen in "Pitch Black" might qualify during the eclipse since without light you die, natural sources of light not from the suns is almost non-existant and the natural monsters are numerous, fast, can fly and come up from underground.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Nah, Arakis is just a desert world. A Tallarn would laugh at it, and a Catachan Jungle Fighter would turn his nose up at a Fremen.

Catachan is the quintessential deathworld. If it doesn't have a 99% mortality rate, it's just not good enough.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Are you sure?
Without off-world supplies anyone without the Fremen's specialized over the centuries water collectors will run out of water within days, The Worms are big, nasty, fast and can sense anyone moving over kilometers, and only a tiny fraction of Dune's surface is rock as opposed to sand.
It definetly isn't as bad as the nastier deathworlds, but without large amounts of equipment a normal human will die ther.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Airless or otherwise inhospitable worlds aren't classified as deathworlds, and humans won't survive there naturally either. A deathworld has to be actively and utterly violently opposed to human or near-human life.

For example: You do not simply die of exposure or other environmental problems on Catachan. The planet literally kills you. Nearly every species of flora and fauna is capable of messily murdering any human that gets near. Or doesn't sleep with one eye open.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Airless or otherwise inhospitable worlds aren't classified as deathworlds, and humans won't survive there naturally either. A deathworld has to be actively and utterly violently opposed to human or near-human life.
So why do people live there? I mean, why'd they colonize it in the first place?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

In the case of the Catachans, it produces some damn fine jungle-fighting Guard units.

Often they're the result of a shipwreck or marooned individuals, exiles, criminals, etc. They'd have been rediscovered during or after the Great Crusade, and once shown the glorious light of the Emperor the Administratum can make use of whatever resources they might have - manpower or material or otherwise.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

MRDOD wrote:
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Airless or otherwise inhospitable worlds aren't classified as deathworlds, and humans won't survive there naturally either. A deathworld has to be actively and utterly violently opposed to human or near-human life.
So why do people live there? I mean, why'd they colonize it in the first place?
They didnt know.

The ship landed, cause from orbit, withoutreally checking, it looked like a lush forest world...they just didnt know teh forest was made up of plants that spit acid and can choke an elephant to death with killer vines, and populated by twenty foot centipedes that eat Rhino tanks for breakfast and shit Terminator armour afterwards.
Kanye West Saves.

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

For example: You do not simply die of exposure or other environmental problems on Catachan. The planet literally kills you. Nearly every species of flora and fauna is capable of messily murdering any human that gets near. Or doesn't sleep with one eye open.
Prior infestation by ancient Tyranid advance scouts helps a lot.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:The ship landed, cause from orbit, withoutreally checking, it looked like a lush forest world...they just didnt know teh forest was made up of plants that spit acid and can choke an elephant to death with killer vines, and populated by twenty foot centipedes that eat Rhino tanks for breakfast and shit Terminator armour afterwards.
I think you'd actually have Space Marine chapters intentionally dropping Rhino tanks onto the planet if that were true :lol: .
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

some deathworlds not listed:

Fenris (homeworld of the Space Wolves)
Medeusa (homeworld of the Iron Hands)
Baal (homeworld of the Blood Angels)
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

A planet which Albino and his exodites came across in the fourth or fifth volume of The Technopriests (cannot remember the name of the planet either) may qualify - all of the trees had their branches ending in carnivorous snake heads.

Kamino might also count if it had not allowed the inhabitants to build long-lasting oilrig-like structures like that.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Nah, Arakis is just a desert world. A Tallarn would laugh at it, and a Catachan Jungle Fighter would turn his nose up at a Fremen.
If we're going by the Arrakis of the books, then it would definitely be a death world. The worms are just the least of things with various poisonous plants and animals, not to mention a super-arid climate for most of it's existance. It's got to have a murderous infant mortality rate to judge from the books and only modern tech has kept it from being worse.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Peregrin Toker wrote:Kamino might also count if it had not allowed the inhabitants to build long-lasting oilrig-like structures like that.
Kamino doesn't sound even close. We're probably talking a Mustafar-type planet, which is ridiculous. Nkllon, I imagine, would also be there, but the lack of fauna on either planet may hurt their application for status as a death world.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Venus, as in David Drake's The Seas of Venus. It's not Catachan-level, but it's well on the way.

Living on land is downright dangerous even for heavily armed soldiers, and even military bases offshore need constant defence. Plants are at least as lethal as animals, and there are plenty of big fellas.

Plus there are cool battleships.
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Pyrrus from Deathworld 1 comes to mind. The life of that world responds to mass hostility ( which 40k people will certainly indulge in ) by attacking the source; it also constantly evolves to better overcome it's enemy. If they were to land on it, it would seem normal at first; then, they'd do something like burn a forest or slaughter a herd of animals. The local life would retaliate; they would shoot back, which provokes greater retaliation; and the cycle is on. Note that all life on Pyrrus is empathic, even the plants; even hostility is enough to provoke a response.

Midworld from the Humanx universe is another example, especially if it doesn't like you.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

lower levels of Kashhyyk The Wookie homeworld
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes but the Genetic Infantry (2000ad Comics), Warworlders (Warworld/Co-Dominion series), Terraformed Venusians (The Green Hell series) and Deathworlders (Harry Harrison's Deathworld)from their own series would probably call the Catchacans and Tallerans wimps.

you should read the originals before going to the 40k johnny's

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Yosemite Bear wrote: Warworlders (Warworld/Co-Dominion series).
Haven is not even close to a death world. It has some dangerous local fauna, scarce resources, and a thin atmosphere. That just makes a shit hole. It's the humans, augmented or otherwise, which are by far the most dangerous on Haven.

David Drake's Red Liners. Now that's a death world, probably the worst of the bunch.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Yosemite Bear

true, except that under sci-fi definition Haven qualified as a deathworld. The whole fact that the flora/fauna of haven had left hand DNA problem.

the Drake took over Venus from DeCamp, and Redliners.

now the Mars that the GI's were fighting over, after years of NBC warfare, on a barely terraformed enviornment, yeah that definatly qualified as a deathworld. (check rain disolves people, enough Rads to cook your food)

Now Deathworld by harrison was the first world to be called that, and no one else really is quite so bad since then. First off take a 40k deathworld, now imagine that back in the dark ages of humanity some oneused the place as their military test ground. (that's right in addition to the local flora and fauna you have Von Neumann robots running around with weapons, trying to kill any tresspassers into their restricted area of their military test base)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:true, except that under sci-fi definition Haven qualified as a deathworld. The whole fact that the flora/fauna of haven had left hand DNA problem.
Haven doesn't count. Some of the local flora is edible (only some of the life is left-handed DNA), the fauna isn't any worse than Earth's, and our plants and animals adapt easily. Not a deathworld.
the Drake took over Venus from DeCamp, and Redliners.
It wasn't DeCamp, it was Harry Kuttner, C.L. Moore's husband. Red Liners was completely seperate story and as bad as Harrisons for similar reasons.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Re: What worlds would be classified as Deathworlds in WH40k?

Post by Exonerate »

DEATH wrote: The planet seen in "Pitch Black" might qualify during the eclipse since without light you die, natural sources of light not from the suns is almost non-existant and the natural monsters are numerous, fast, can fly and come up from underground.
In a similar vein... What about Crematoria from Chronicles of Riddick? I forgot the exact statistics, but exposure to the sun is enough to burn you to dust in seconds. The surface is covered with crevices, lava, etc, and I do believe during the night it reaches temperatures below zero. There are predators (The lava hound), and the only inhabitable place seems to be underground.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
The Yosemite Bear

Also I made a mistake on Pyrea the world from Harrison's "Deathworld" it doesn wasn't used as a military testing ground...

that was from a computer game I used to play (pilotting a smuggler tank through a deadly wasteland and running like hell from the machine sentries, after a few missions try and sneak back to your ship rondvous and hope you make it off the planet with enough stolen tech to make the run extremely profittable.)

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Skaro. You will die from radiation poison if you're not on the right drugs, and it has cactus plants that turn you into more such plants if you get pricked.

Which is to say nothing of its sentient inhabitants.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Not exactly a world, but rather a dimensional plane, but would the Deathgate Laberynth fit the definition?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Almost certainly. You needed formidable magic powers to survive there, as I recall.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth