Xander vs Wash

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Xander vs Wash

Post by Demiurge »

Let's face it, these guys are both Joss Whedon. The question here is, which one does it better? Xander from Buffy, or Wash from Firefly?

It's a hard choice for me. I like Xander in the first few seasons, but not in the last two. He never seemed the same after the wedding episode. Wash isn't as prominent, but he had a few good lines. Plus, he actually had a valuable skill other than wisecracking.
delicious pies
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I dunno. Xander's carpentryis very useful for repairing things after they fall appart -- which is something he's pretty good at (or at least tries to).

But, yeah. For me it's to tough to call.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Xander does have his conviently half-remembered military skills and can operate a mean wrecking ball.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Wash. He's a good pilot and stayed that way. He's isn't the best fighter but didn't become the total joke that Xander became.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

neoolong wrote:Wash. He's a good pilot and stayed that way. He's isn't the best fighter but didn't become the total joke that Xander became.
He also didn't have 6 years in which to become a joke. It's kind of hard for a character to do that in only thirteen episodes.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
neoolong wrote:Wash. He's a good pilot and stayed that way. He's isn't the best fighter but didn't become the total joke that Xander became.
He also didn't have 6 years in which to become a joke. It's kind of hard for a character to do that in only thirteen episodes.
True. But in the episodes, however limited, he didn't become a joke.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I don't think he ended up as a Joke. if your definition of Joke is that he was not as effective in combat, I counter that with the fact that Xander is the only one who has anything even remotly resembling a normal, supernatural-free life. And given all that's happened to him, that's quite an accomplisment.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Majin Gojira wrote:I don't think he ended up as a Joke. if your definition of Joke is that he was not as effective in combat, I counter that with the fact that Xander is the only one who has anything even remotly resembling a normal, supernatural-free life. And given all that's happened to him, that's quite an accomplisment.
I think that out of all the major characters who lived, including the ones that became major characters in Season 7, he gets the worst deal even though he's probably pretty high up on the good side of things. Andrew makes out better than Xander does. Andrew, a pretty unrepentant weak little man who was going to rape a girl, and who kills his best friend, gets a better deal at the end than Xander. When that happens, I think that the character is considered a joke.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I really don't understand where you're coming from, could you please elaborate?
Browncoat

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Majin Gojira wrote:I really don't understand where you're coming from, could you please elaborate?
When all is said and done, the show is fairly conventional in some ways. The good guys win over the bad guys and end up getting some type of reward, much of the time, and the bad guys get their comeuppance.

So the end of the series, and extended to Angel to know the fates of some of the characters in Buffy you see what happens to different characters.

Buffy gets a "normal" life in Rome with a new boyfriend. Dawn is also in Rome and would seem to be okay. Giles is now the head of the organization that had previously fired him and where he wasn't all that high up when he did work for it. Faith is free and has a new guy in Robin. Robin has Faith and presumably wasn't crippled since his injuries didn't seem worse than things that other characters survived. Willow is now a powerful witch and has Kennedy. Spike gets to come back, and at the end of Angel may still have survived, if he was to be in the proposed Season 6. Andrew, instead of being jailed or having to pay for his crimes, instead gets to play James Bond and is going out with two beautiful women. And Xander, well Xander at least has his health. Wait, no he doesn't. He loses Anya, and he loses an eye. His reward for his actions it to lose the girl he kind of loves and to be maimed.

When you consider the various actions of these characters it also becomes a matter of what they deserve. Like I said before, the bad guys get what's coming to them and the good guys get rewarded. Pretty much all of the main characters get a reward, or at least stay at the status quo which isn't to bad in itself. Xander is the only one that is worse off, despite the fact that he is much more of a good guy, or at least didn't do as much evil as a number of the other characters. My point is that these are supposed to be the heroes, and you see everyone get something good except for him, even ones that are more undeserving than Xander is.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Edit: Oh, and as for fighting, I do find it a bit odd that Cordelia and Harmony can pick up seemingly advanced fighting skills in 4 years, see the episode where Cordelia comes back in Season 4 and the Harmony episode in Season 5 of Angel, while Xander doesn't seem to be all that great, in fact he seems to get worse, compare "The Zeppo" to "The Initiative," and then make amazing shots with a bow like in the raid at vineyard.
Darth Sephiroth
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Sephiroth »

I agree, the later seasons seemed to turn Xander from an interesting character (My actual favorite character in the series) and turned him into the fool
Need Backup!
My Employer ID is: 29877
See the New Imperium (Please check this out we need people there)