Realistic scifi Anime?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

Realistic scifi Anime?

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

What is the most realistic scifi Anime (meaning an anime that could be applied to either real life our our near future) you have ever seen? I would say Dominion Tank Police is probably one of the few anime I've seen that could deemed realistic.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Cowboy Bebop is pretty close, once we suspend disbeleif for the Gates(Which, given they don't violate SR, isn't that bad).
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Cowboy Bebop, although it would have been a bit more believable had it been set 30-50 years later. There's also Jin-Roh, which takes place in the 1960s in an alternate universe Japan. It's pretty realistic, and even Shep likes the military equipment.

The Rurouni Kenshin OVA series is not sci-fi, but it absolutely oozes historical accuracy and doesn't have Kenshin performing superhuman feats, unlike the TV series.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Jin-Roh, was pretty sweet. You just have to love supercops with MG-42s.
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Cairber
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cairber »

Well, there arent a lot of realistic sci fi animes; however, some are realistic in their story but not in the mechanisms that sometimes go with it. Infinite Ryvius is a "Lord of the Flies" in space anime. Arjuna is a sci fi anime about the environment; the story about the decay of the earth is very realistic and some of the machinery is but there are some strang psychological elements in it as well.

Serial Experiments Lain is about the "Wired" (basically the internet) infiltrating the real world..interesting concept, realistic devices and historical pieces in the story...but, in the end, it can get VERY unrealistic.
Say NO to circumcision IT'S A BOY! This is a great link to show expecting parents.

I boycott Nestle; ask me why!
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Planetes is, hands-down, the most realistic sci-fi anime ever.

No FTL, no mecha, no superpowers, no easy terraforming (re: Bebop)...
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Re: Realistic scifi Anime?

Post by SAMAS »

EmperorSolo51 wrote:What is the most realistic scifi Anime (meaning an anime that could be applied to either real life our our near future) you have ever seen? I would say Dominion Tank Police is probably one of the few anime I've seen that could deemed realistic.
Tank Police? Realistic?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

There are Gundam series more realistic than that!

Planetes is so far, probably the most realistic sci-fi one.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Gundun. No ftl, no humonoid or any other kinds of aliens. The only problem is the mecha.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

SAMAS wrote: Tank Police? Realistic?

If you stop and think about it Tank Police is pretty realistic. The concept of the series and the manga was based upon the fact that in Europe and countries in Asia actually have police forces that use tanks as part of "SWAT-like" units capable of reacting to any and all threats that normal police and constabulary can not. We now live in a world where terrorism is a daily and common threat. As we as a race comtinue to advance technologically, there is a good possibility that terrorists could utilize new technology for more evil purposes. It may come to a point where the Police forces around the world need ways and new vehicles to combat terrorists and protect innocent civilians when extreme situations arise.

On a side note, the minitank used used by that girl in the series, "bonaparte" I think it was called, looked rediculosly like a FT-17 Renault. Anybody else catch that?
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Chobits, maybe? Especially since a typical Persocom can basically be described as a (taken from Krakow 2.0) "Next-Gen Aibo wrapped in a Realdoll".
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Joe wrote:Cowboy Bebop, although it would have been a bit more believable had it been set 30-50 years later.
According to the creators, CB is set in an alternate timeline to our own; one in which mankind had developed space travel at a faster pace than in our reality. So much so that space colonies were already established at the time of the Gate Disaster.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Aside from the mecha and FTL, howabouts Aim For The Top! Gunbuster? 8)
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Joe wrote:Cowboy Bebop, although it would have been a bit more believable had it been set 30-50 years later.
According to the creators, CB is set in an alternate timeline to our own; one in which mankind had developed space travel at a faster pace than in our reality. So much so that space colonies were already established at the time of the Gate Disaster.
That's very interesting, where did they say that?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Joe wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:
That's very interesting, where did they say that?
The Cowboy Bebop Universe

It is important to establish one fact early on. The world of Cowboy Bebop is not the future of our own world. Technology seems to have advanced at a faster rate than in the real world, while many of the planets and moons have been terriformed into livable environments -- a process that would take years to centuries.
These people appear to have gotten their information from the original series guides.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

I HIGHLY recommend Planetes to anyone here, whether you are an anime fan or not. It is very realistic and has an interesting and very unique story.
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Shadowhawk wrote:Planetes is, hands-down, the most realistic sci-fi anime ever.

No FTL, no mecha, no superpowers, no easy terraforming (re: Bebop)...
Magnetic Rose was also quite realistic in a very similar, if slightly more advanced way, as was (don't laugh at the name) Mighty Space Miners, one of the Three Great Unfinished OVAs (the others being Elf Princess Rane and Dragon Half).
EmperorSolo51 wrote:If you stop and think about it Tank Police is pretty realistic. The concept of the series and the manga was based upon the fact that in Europe and countries in Asia actually have police forces that use tanks as part of "SWAT-like" units capable of reacting to any and all threats that normal police and constabulary can not. We now live in a world where terrorism is a daily and common threat. As we as a race comtinue to advance technologically, there is a good possibility that terrorists could utilize new technology for more evil purposes. It may come to a point where the Police forces around the world need ways and new vehicles to combat terrorists and protect innocent civilians when extreme situations arise.

On a side note, the minitank used used by that girl in the series, "bonaparte" I think it was called, looked rediculosly like a FT-17 Renault. Anybody else catch that?
Much as I love Dominion Tank Police (my computer is named Bonaparte by the way, and not after a certain general from Corsica) I have to say that it's certainly the least realistic of Shirow's scifi manga, and the anime is faithful. I mean, lots of peole survive things that would certainly kill them in real life, and to quote Brenton from the end of part II of the first comic "Maybe it was just a 9mm hardball, but if this was a serious comic you'd be dead as acan of tuna, now." Other things are exagerated for comic effect like Bonaparte's 300mm or so snub main cannon. I know that some of the political background of the Tank Police might make sense, but there's no way any real life police organization could continue while inflicting the magnitude fo collatoral damage that they do.

Of course, any thing by Masamune Shirow or based on his work is usually quite a bit more realistic than standard fair.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Try Gunbuster, by Hideaki Anno. It actually takes into account things like time dialation.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

EmperorSolo51 wrote:
SAMAS wrote: Tank Police? Realistic?

If you stop and think about it Tank Police is pretty realistic. The concept of the series and the manga was based upon the fact that in Europe and countries in Asia actually have police forces that use tanks as part of "SWAT-like" units capable of reacting to any and all threats that normal police and constabulary can not. We now live in a world where terrorism is a daily and common threat. As we as a race comtinue to advance technologically, there is a good possibility that terrorists could utilize new technology for more evil purposes. It may come to a point where the Police forces around the world need ways and new vehicles to combat terrorists and protect innocent civilians when extreme situations arise.

Concept and Execution are two entirely different things.

1. No way anobody would give the police the equivalents of Main Battle Tanks.

2. The general mess of collateral damage they inflict would see them disbanded on general principles. See reason #1.

3. Not to menion their interrogation tactics. The Tank Police are borderline psychopaths at times. Which brings us back once more to reason #1.

4. Erecta-cocci. 'Nuff said.

Even GitS and Appleseed are more realistic than that.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

EmperorSolo51 wrote: If you stop and think about it Tank Police is pretty realistic. The concept of the series and the manga was based upon the fact that in Europe and countries in Asia actually have police forces that use tanks as part of "SWAT-like" units capable of reacting to any and all threats that normal police and constabulary can not. We now live in a world where terrorism is a daily and common threat. As we as a race comtinue to advance technologically, there is a good possibility that terrorists could utilize new technology for more evil purposes. It may come to a point where the Police forces around the world need ways and new vehicles to combat terrorists and protect innocent civilians when extreme situations arise.

Any series where a tank jumps off a ramp and lands on a helicopters wing is not realistic ;)
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Sharp-kun wrote:
EmperorSolo51 wrote: If you stop and think about it Tank Police is pretty realistic. The concept of the series and the manga was based upon the fact that in Europe and countries in Asia actually have police forces that use tanks as part of "SWAT-like" units capable of reacting to any and all threats that normal police and constabulary can not. We now live in a world where terrorism is a daily and common threat. As we as a race comtinue to advance technologically, there is a good possibility that terrorists could utilize new technology for more evil purposes. It may come to a point where the Police forces around the world need ways and new vehicles to combat terrorists and protect innocent civilians when extreme situations arise.

Any series where a tank jumps off a ramp and lands on a helicopters wing is not realistic ;)
The jumping tanks in the OP are cool. If anybody has a movie file of the OP to DTP (NOT "New Dominion," dammit!), I would be eternally grateful.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Iceberg wrote:
Sharp-kun wrote:

The jumping tanks in the OP are cool. If anybody has a movie file of the OP to DTP (NOT "New Dominion," dammit!), I would be eternally grateful.
Cool yes, realistic, no ;)

I used to have a video of it, not any more though @(
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I was going to mention Patlabor and the first sequel (not seen the third which doesn't even seem to follow the other two) given, barring the mechs, they have some pretty nifty stuff. The opening to the second film with the RPG hitting a mech-cum-APC of the UN as the camera has a birds eye view is great given the sound is delayed unlike most Hollywood films where sound travels at lightspeed. A lot of mechanical designers in Japan seem to study real engineering structures to stay close to the reality margin but give it that little bit of fantasy.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

one series i'd mention, though am not quite sure if it's considered sci-fi, is Wings of Honneamise.

extremely believable culture about a very close to earth-like civilization that's taking its first steps into space. except in this culture most of the citizens think of its space program as a joke and other countries are actively trying to sabotage the launch of their first spacecraft. Very excellent anime to catch.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Darth_Zod wrote:one series i'd mention, though am not quite sure if it's considered sci-fi, is Wings of Honneamise.

extremely believable culture about a very close to earth-like civilization that's taking its first steps into space. except in this culture most of the citizens think of its space program as a joke and other countries are actively trying to sabotage the launch of their first spacecraft. Very excellent anime to catch.
It is Sci Fi :) The problem is though is that Manga Entertainments DVD is shit quality.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Sharp-kun wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:one series i'd mention, though am not quite sure if it's considered sci-fi, is Wings of Honneamise.

It is Sci Fi :) The problem is though is that Manga Entertainments DVD is shit quality.
i haven't see the DVD version yet. only one i've seen was the VHS release a number of years ago.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."