Blaster automatic rate of fire in RotS: Analysis

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Blaster automatic rate of fire in RotS: Analysis

Post by Vympel »

NOTE: PAL format, so 25fps.

In chronological order, I've gone over most of the scenes where we see rapid blaster fire to determine exact ROF.

Clones equipped in Scout Armor on Kashyyk

Weapon: DC-15A

The Clone in the centre is observed to fire 3 shots in 6 frames before moving his rifle to a new target;

6/ 3 = 2

25 / 2 = 12.5

12.5 x 60 = 750 rounds per minute

High End Incident

The Clone to the right is observed to fire 2 shots in 2 frames.

The two frames in question:

Obviously, that's 25 shots per second.

25 x 60 = 1,500 rounds per minute
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clone attacking Crab Droid (Armor Deflection)

Weapon: DC-15S

A Clone attacks a Crab Droid- his blasts don't penetrate it's thick leg armor plates.

2 shots in 8 frames

8 / 2 = 4

25 / 4 = 6.25

6.25 X 60 = 375 rounds per minute

Semi-automatic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clone attacking Crab Droid (from above)

The intrepid Clone jumps on top of his target to bypass it's armor.

3 shots in 9 frames

9 / 3 = 3

25 / 3 = 8 1/3

8 1/3 x 60 = 500 rounds per minute

Battle Droid firing at Obi-Wan Kenobi while riding Boga

Weapon: E-5

This B1 fires a stream of blaster bolts at Obi-Wan as he rides past, before a Clonetrooper from across the way blasts him.

11 shots in 25 frames

Obviously 11 shots per second

11 x 60 = 660 rounds per minute

Commander Bacara fires on Ki-Adi-Mundi

Self-explanatory.

2 shots in 4 frames

4 / 2 = 2

25 / 2 = 12.5

60 x 12.5

Rate of Fire: 750 rounds per minute

Commander Bly kills Aayla Secura

I ignored Commander Bly's men as they're all carrying DC-15S rifles (which are well represented generally) and they mostly fire off screen.

2 shots in 4 frames

Rate of Fire = 750 rounds per minute

501st Clone firing on unidentified target in Jedi Temple

2 shots in 5 frames

5 / 2 = 2.5

25 / 2.5 = 10

60 x 10

Rate of Fire = 600 rounds per minute

Battle Droid Firing on Darth Vader at Mustafar

2 shots in 5 frames

600 rounds per minute

CONCLUSIONS

It is clear, as far as I'm concerned, that the automatic rate of fire of blaster rifles and blaster carbine weapons is in most cases comparable and often superior to the rate of fire of many modern military assault rifles.

The figure that most often comes up is from 600 - 750 rounds per minute, with an extreme high end in one case of 1,500 rounds per minute. There are of course, many instances of semi-automatic fire in the film (a few of which have been sampled above), but the capability of automatic fire is obvious.

Let's compare to some modern assault rifles:

Steyr AUG: 650 rounds per minute Equal to Superior

HK G36: 750 rounds per minute Equal

SA-80: 650 rounds per minute Equal to Superior

FAMAS G2: 1,000-1,100 rounds per minute Inferior

AK-47/ AKM: 600 rounds per minute: Superior

AK-74: 600-650 rounds per minute: Equal to Superior

AN-94: 600 rounds per minute cyclic: Superior, 1,800 rounds per minute 2-round burst Inferior

M16A1: 650-750 rounds per minute: Equal to Superior

M16A2: 800 rounds per minute: Inferior

On a final note, these are rougly comparable to the few instances of automatic fire by small arms we see in the Original Trilogy- a Stormtrooper who is shot by Han as he comes through the Detention Block elevator fires two shots in 6 frames (perhaps more), for a ROF of at least 500 rnds per minute. Lando also fires 2 shots in 6 frames at a Stormtrooper during the Bespin escape.

In conclusion, it seems clear that the rates of fire blaster rifles and carbines are capable of in automatic mode is quite comparable to that of most modern day assault rifles, with the high-end being a 2-round burst well in excess of 1,500rpm- possibly similar to the 2-round burst capability of the Russian AN-94.

Clones also generally display a lot of commendable fire-discipline with automatic fire- they limit their bursts to short, controlled ones.
Last edited by Vympel on 2006-09-01 08:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Nice work, but the pic for vader incident has the Commander Bly pic, that's all I can see that's wrong atm and even it's cosmetical.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Fucken ... just lemme fix it. EDIT: fixed.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Using PAL format might foul some results, since the film was shot in 24fps...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Using PAL format might foul some results, since the film was shot in 24fps...
Not by a significant margin. As with all analyses of this nature, they're not as precise as we hope, but they will serve.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Vympel
Nice. Not for precision, but it gives a general idea. :)

Actually, did you do anything similar for blaster bolt speeds? There's a common theme running here or there that blaster bolts are very slow in flight compared to bullets.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stas Bush wrote:Vympel
Nice. Not for precision, but it gives a general idea. :)

Actually, did you do anything similar for blaster bolt speeds? There's a common theme running here or there that blaster bolts are very slow in flight compared to bullets.
Most are slower, some are as fast. It really depends on distance. The Clone scouts firing on Kasyyyk are ~1,000m from their target, for example (determined on SB.com). I'll have to check it at some point.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Blaster bolts do seem to have variable speeds, even when fired from the same model of blaster. I wonder what significance this has.

Btw, has anyone noticed that during the scene with the 212th's intrepid crab-jumping clone, his blaster rifle sounds quite different from most others we hear? At least, there's some audible weapon fire that doesn't sound like most blasters.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

The scene in which the battle droid fires on Obi-Wan on the Boga, that's some serious punch the E-5 is packing. I had never really thought of that before.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

Cykeisme wrote:Blaster bolts do seem to have variable speeds, even when fired from the same model of blaster. I wonder what significance this has.
Somebody a while ago suggested that the blaster calculates the distance to the target, and puts more energy into the kinetic part of the bolt the further it goes. So the bolt takes the same amount of time to reach its target, regardless of how far it goes (well, there are limits). But, I don't really know.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That was me. And it got shot down because they said it was too overcomplicated and confabulated, but how else can we explain the discrepencies if we suspend disbelief?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Congratulations on finding the THX reference in ROTS (I missed that 'till now)! ;)
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

defanatic wrote:
Cykeisme wrote:Blaster bolts do seem to have variable speeds, even when fired from the same model of blaster. I wonder what significance this has.
Somebody a while ago suggested that the blaster calculates the distance to the target, and puts more energy into the kinetic part of the bolt the further it goes. So the bolt takes the same amount of time to reach its target, regardless of how far it goes (well, there are limits). But, I don't really know.
Suppose it's the other way around and bolt velocity is simply higher with a higher powered shot. That makes a lot more sense if you ask me. Cause and effect.

Of course, that idea may not hold up either under scrutiny. The only observable fact is that bolt speed goes up with distance, just like with turbolaser bolts.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Kurgan wrote:
Congratulations on finding the THX reference in ROTS (I missed that 'till now)! ;)
Eh?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Eh?
The last few characters on the back of the battle droid resemble the characters "1138." Such messages are hidden in all of the prequel films, in homage to one of Lucas' early works.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The only observable fact is that bolt speed goes up with distance, just like with turbolaser bolts.
Blaster bolts? Where can I see that? The ones in the O.T. seemed to move with pretty constant speed.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Post by Srynerson »

Cykeisme wrote:Btw, has anyone noticed that during the scene with the 212th's intrepid crab-jumping clone, his blaster rifle sounds quite different from most others we hear? At least, there's some audible weapon fire that doesn't sound like most blasters.
Yes, the blaster has more of a traditional automatic slug-thrower sound to it. I'm not sure what to make of it though.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Master of Ossus wrote:
The last few characters on the back of the battle droid resemble the characters "1138." Such messages are hidden in all of the prequel films, in homage to one of Lucas' early works.
I know about THX 1138, I didn't know they'd been hiding messages in the PT though, thanks. Although I still can't see the 1138, but that's probably due to me cranking down the brightness on the screen to minimize headache inducing light.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Srynerson wrote:
Cykeisme wrote:Btw, has anyone noticed that during the scene with the 212th's intrepid crab-jumping clone, his blaster rifle sounds quite different from most others we hear? At least, there's some audible weapon fire that doesn't sound like most blasters.
Yes, the blaster has more of a traditional automatic slug-thrower sound to it. I'm not sure what to make of it though.
That's nothing. Blasters in the OT eject casings. (And some of the characters who fire close there eyes before shooting.) :P
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Connor MacLeod wrote:That's nothing. Blasters in the OT eject casings. (And some of the characters who fire close there eyes before shooting.) :P
Are there certain things we can ignore as gaffes, even under suspension of disbelief? :?
I don't know what consistent criteria there would be to classify a scene as such, though.

On a random note, I used to think that the DC-17m blaster rifle in Republic Commando fired at a bit high a cyclic rate. Looks like it's actually very movie-like after all, though.
This kinda blows the idea of "repeating blasters" (that tech guides and rpg books have) out of the water though. Looks like most blaster rifles are capable of multifire and autofire.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Cykeisme wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:That's nothing. Blasters in the OT eject casings. (And some of the characters who fire close there eyes before shooting.) :P
Are there certain things we can ignore as gaffes, even under suspension of disbelief? :?
I don't know what consistent criteria there would be to classify a scene as such, though.
Doesn't one of the comic books also show Chewie's bowcastor ejecting brass? Unfortunately I can't remember which one it was (though I don't think it was any of the old Marvel Tales but something made in the '90's or later). Someone might argue those are "Quarrels" but oh well.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Srynerson wrote:
That's nothing. Blasters in the OT eject casings. (And some of the characters who fire close there eyes before shooting.) :P
Pictures please, I don't have the ability to freeze frame by frame. :(
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Cykeisme wrote:This kinda blows the idea of "repeating blasters" (that tech guides and rpg books have) out of the water though. Looks like most blaster rifles are capable of multifire and autofire.
Just because blaster rifles are capable of automatic fire does not remove the need for weapons specifically designed for such use. Even in the tech books, some blasters are capable of full-auto (if only for brief periods of time), and the repeating blasters are all large, bulky, and presumably powerful--more analogous to GPMG's than to assault weapons in most cases. Just as the advent of the assault rifle has not rendered true machine guns obsolete, it's doubtful that the burst and full-auto features on rifles would eliminate repeating blasters from anyone's arsenal.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Indeed, that'd be like saying that fully automatic rifles have made light, medium and heavy machine guns obsolete. A fully automatic rifle can't sustain the rate of fire, range, or accuracy of a machine gun, and overheats quicker due to a lighter, thinner barrel. The same would apply to blasters.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Ah, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that in the RPGs, only "repeating blasters" have autofire capability. Instead, what we see is that most blaster rifles are capable of autofire.

I'm aware that constraints such as heat, sustained power output and energy storage probably limits the smaller blasters from sustaining that sort of fire for long.

In particular, I'm sure waste heat is probably a significant problem for a directed-energy weapon that converts energy from chemical (or some exotic) storage into a bolt that does damage primarily through thermal effects.