New Talifan Brigade

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Knife wrote:Wasn't that Kane Starkiller? (His user name, that is)
I don't know. Other than Karen Traviss, I'm not in the habit of stalking authors. ;)

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me. Kane and Kevin both strike me as being very intelligent, good people. I don't know Kane's real identity, but I have the utmost respect for both of them.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Kevin was a seperate guy, who egistered here as Kevin K IIRC. The second person he mentions as a talifan/shadow fan is RSA.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Knife wrote:Wasn't that Kane Starkiller? (His user name, that is)
I don't know. Other than Karen Traviss, I'm not in the habit of stalking authors. ;)

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me. Kane and Kevin both strike me as being very intelligent, good people. I don't know Kane's real identity, but I have the utmost respect for both of them.
*shrugs* I could be wrong. I remember them both about the same time frame.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

KeVinK's profile

IIRC, Kane Starkiller is in university.

Something I don't understand is the accusation of "stalking". People talking about clone numbers etc. with an author who voluntarily signed on to a public message board are "stalkers"? Since when is publishing critique, pointing to things that an author has missed in the existing canon and/or pointing out flaws in the reasoning of an author on public message boards "abuse"? Oh, I forgot, it's also "abuse" to say that you don't like the Mandalorian aspects (I'm sorry, it's Mando'ade). Doesn't she realize that there's positive criticism as well as negative criticism? Doesn't she also realize that saying to the effect that "I hear you, but I really don't care. You're wrong, I'm right and I don't have to show you why" pisses people off? Something that strikes me is that DM and KT actively seeks out and signs on to every single forum, blog etc. where "talifans" are being discussed, yet accuses others of "stalking". Also, when the debate had died down, she published several rantings about "talifans" and certain individuals wonder why people were upset.

Something that also disturbs me is that KT, in an extremely unresponsible manner, publically has posted things such as "My gut reaction is that they all need garotting" and "ripping someone's trachea out of their pitifully unworthy neck". Doesn't this person realize that most people who has been involved in this discussion has been open with their identities (such as Wayne Poe) and that there are many sick people out there who might take such things literally? I'm personally not aware of any threats being made against Karen Traviss and if any threats would be made against her that would be an abhorrance and can't be tolerated IMO.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Maybe we're the ones who should be filing restraining orders!

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Lord Poe wrote:Maybe we're the ones who should be filing restraining orders!
Naw, we've dealt with insane Rabid Stalking Assholes before without using the legal system. We can take this and defeat KT Jelly likewise. :)
Image Image
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

You gotta love an author who needs mods to stalk other board, cares not who back one...and then accuses people of personally stalking, abusing, and protraying her as anything other then the Mandalorian Goddess.

Almost, almost makes me want to go to San Diego...not to taunt her, but just get near that booth and see if see doesn't give the evil eye to every fucking person who approaches her.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Naw, we've dealt with insane Rabid Stalking Assholes before without using the legal system. We can take this and defeat KT Jelly likewise. :)
Except the Rabid Stalking Asshole is a pathetic help desk operator with no resources. KT Jelly is not so powerless.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Guess what? Lee Goldberg is into history retconning too. Remember this comment thread:

+http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writer ... t-18021947

Remember the person that told Dark Moose he was spamming the board, then asked for direct proof if Wayne Poe ever libeled or threatened Traviss in any way? And then remember my reply to that guy?

ALL GONE.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Lord Poe wrote:Guess what? Lee Goldberg is into history retconning too. Remember this comment thread:

+http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writer ... t-18021947

Remember the person that told Dark Moose he was spamming the board, then asked for direct proof if Wayne Poe ever libeled or threatened Traviss in any way? And then remember my reply to that guy?

ALL GONE.
WTF? Luckily, I saved that page (save for the last two comments perhaps).
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

On page two of this thread, I already explained what an asshole Goldberg seems to be, and how he has openly and shamelessly retconned TV shows in the past. However, I wonder why he would try to cover Traviss's back, when one of her sycophants is spamming HIS blog. Does he feel that they're in the same boat, both being hack writers who are "persecuted" by the "Talifans?"
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims